If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Rutland Railway Wagon Progress

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by hunslet24, Jun 5, 2008.

1. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    Am looking at both with a mind to try and get some 'help' with the dump cars. The tipplers are a job to tackle soon as the stuff in them needs sorting, although we need the crane for this first off. The main aim this year is to get 7 of the 8 hoppers running around and the tipplers in a state of service then look at restoration out right on a rolling basis! I should leave the RAF really if this is going to work ha ha #-o

2. wickhamfan

wickhamfan New Member

AudioVisual Engineer
    I thought rumour had it the RAF thought you already had! - lol

3. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

HE LIVES! =D>

4. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Some pictures fresh from today. Theses are the museums rake of Iron ore tipplers, we currently have 10 but normally chuff around with 6 and a brake due to the length of passing siding in use. We will be doing runs with the ten this year so long as no more defects are found and the contents are emptied(reliant on the crane for this) and I can get them serviced. they make an interesting match with the earlier hopper rake and also add a bit of variety. The aim eventually is to have two rakes of 6 hoppers and 6 tipplers and perform a full demonstration of an iron stone railway system, all drawn by authentis motive power(steam and diesel) with some loading demonstrations taking place using our unique 3 skip wagons( pictures to follow) All I need now is some volunteers and working motive power!!!

5. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Hi again, hope you all enjoyed the snow, I was in Cyprus getting a tan so work at our end has been slow! lots to be getting on with so off I go.....................!

6. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Welcome back Hunslet24... Now you've got less aircraft to look after at work... I hope you're going to be putting more hours in at RRM!!!

When's our next wagon evening and what are we working on???

7. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Hi Fire fly! well that was not quite the idea, pilots should be more careful!!!

Anyway I want our SR van out and finished so thats the priority, how about tuesday evening? Also have a full free weekend soon.......What could we do!!???!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!!!?

8. AlistairS

AlistairS New Member

Engineer
    Sorry Hunselt24... not about this weekend... I'm running tours and doing shunting demonstrations at Foxfield on Saturday, and then Fireman on Florence on Sunday.

Tuesday even's good though!!!!

9. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Hi Guys, this is a bit of a begging letter am affraid. We currently trying to raise some funds for a brake van from the Furness Trust. They have offered it to us on loan at the cost of transport and I am very keen to have it at our site. The vehicle is an LMS 20T brake that is fully restored and in operational condition. The price tag for delivery is £400, we already have some pledges to the tune of £150 so we are on the way but if you can spare a little it would really really help!! there is a link below for our funds director or send a cheque to the address on our web site at www.rutlandrailwaymuseum.org.uk cheers for reading

emailto:treasurer@rutlandrailwaymuseum.org.uk

www.rutlandrailwaymuseum.org.uk
    Thankyou Gary

10. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Hi guys, the new brake van has arrived and will get some pics of her at its new home, she has come on loan from the Furness trust to whom I am very greatful, she is intended to be used on our authentic Iron ore tipplers/hopper during this comming season and beyond! Also we are giving rides in our other new brake vans a southern region pillbox and eventually a converted shark brake van. No Mk1 for us (that would be too easy :-# ) \:D/

11. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sounds good Hunslet24, you'll have to come over to Foxfield and try your hand on an unfitted mineral rake down the bank!

Speaking of Iron tipplers, if you have a good 16T mineral, we have a good Iron Ore Tippler that might be worth swapping. It always looks a little odd in a rake of 16T's and would be far more relevent with you guys!

12. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Only if you come to mine to play too! Sorry we do not have a good 16T, we have two terrible ones! yeah they are quite a bit shorter and does tend to look out of place, will have a look out for a 16T to do a swap if we can. :-k

13. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

A bit more cosmetic work on the SR brake van carried out by the team over the weekend, new metal varanda tops and a coat of paint inside aswell as a full coat of paint to the exterior. She will be ready again for passenger trips in July for our first operating open day.

14. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

We hope to have our SR van out soon ready for passenger rides on our Vintage vehicle weekend 4/5th July 2009. Also the new LMS brake will be about on freight train demonstrations.

15. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi Hunslett
    Do you know the running number of the SR Brake Van. A friend of mine didn't see it last week on a visit.
    He also didn't note the S&R Steam Crane (RRM89) & ex army Palvan 4110. Are these still on site?
    Cheers
    Steve

16. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Work on our SR brake van is complete and is ready for passenger services this operating season, the job of lettering out is still to take place but this will be done along with our hopper/tippler rakes and our other operating stockin a hit over the summer (weather permitting!) We are also continuing to gather wagon types common to the Iron Ore industry of the midlands, we hope to locate and secure a number that have recently come to light. Work will now begin to focus on the long running Iron ore hopper that is currently sat with the wheels out awaiting the return of our rail crane to re-wheel it and finish the restoration to become the 6th member of our hopper fleet.

We have also taken the decision to dispose of the two ex ashington BR std brake vans, as we do not have the time or money to restore them we have decided to release them for sale to groups who can sort them out.