If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S&D Railway Trust

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Andy Norman, Feb 24, 2020.

1. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I think yop are a bit confused about your loco shed timelines here. Bath was never a subshed of Weymouth but it is true that they swapped shed codes during the regional boundary changes in 1958.

Weymouth was ex GW and was under the WR as 82F until 1958 when it transferred to the SR and became 71G (later 70G after 1963).

Bath was ex LMS and came under the SR as 71G at nationalisation. After reorganisation in 1958 it went under the WR and became 82F. That apart there was no link between the two as they were always in different regions.

Peter

RailWest likes this.
  2. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Boy in Grey Hoodie & blue Joggers in front of the camera at 7.46 onwards is my middle son

3. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

Indeed I’m aware of that. My point was that with the prospect of these LSWR coaches running on the MHR in future, and lots of MHR volunteers effort going into restoring them, will there be the will or resources to ever restore the LBSC 4 wheeelers?

4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

The Brighton coaches were gifted to the MHR, and are, or were in storage at Eastleigh, What i was posting was the hope that once the LSWR coaches were completed, that the group may turn their attention to other historic coaches such as the unrestored S&D coaches, and the Brighton 4 wheelers,
    The matter of lack of covered accommodation for coaches will have to be looked into at some time in the future, there is no cheap options, and no easy answers,

30854 likes this.
  5. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
  6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

I have a question for members of the S&DJRT.
    Roughly how long does it take for new membership applications to process? Is it a while as I applied online in early February and had a swift reply about my application with a complimentary magazine arriving in the post. However, I have not heard anything since then and I am a bit worried that further correspondence to me may have been lost in the post.

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Panic over. Membership card and New issue of the Trust magazine arrived in the post today.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

8. bluetrain

bluetrain Well-Known Member

While visiting the WSR diesel gala yesterday, I called at Washford to see what S&DRT assets still remain there.

I've attached 3 photos that show:
    (1) Three LMS wagons - a van and two open wagons, one built for Port of Bristol.
    (2) Ruston 4w diesel shunter and LMS Covered Carriage Truck.
    (3) Two vehicles under tarpaulins, which I assume are S&D 6w carriages, with a vintage oil tank and a small unidentified wagon.

S&DRT blog indicates that their BR(W) Fruit D van is currently in the shed for overhaul. I assume that the third S&D 6w coach and another 4w diesel are also in the shed.

The three LMS wagons plus the CCT may be the vehicles destined for transfer to the AVR at Bitton. But I don't recall seeing anything about what is to happen to the three S&D 6w carriages, two 4w diesels, Fruit D or vintage oil tank. Does anyone have any further information that they are able to share?

Attached Files:

9. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    I snuck into the Boiler Shop earlier. Couple of pics showing the current state of the boiler of Peckett 1788.
    Pat

Attached Files:

Johnme101, Bluenosejohn and RLinkinS like this.
  10. martin1656

As the WSR have now published their annual figures for the last financial year, resulting in a loss, what impact will that have over plans for the overhaul of 53808, As i can't see the WSR now sticking to its agreement to fund any part of it, Would the trust now write a line under the whole saga, and look to a long term home on the MHR, and base the 7f there, and start fund raising for the overhaul, I can't see any point of legal action against the Board, who have not got the means to provide the funding, just a case of forget, but don't forgive , by that, i mean vetoing any request by the management to hire the engine for any galas.

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Did you go on to read the WSR's strategic report attached to the accounts. The answer seems to be there in black and white - they are preparing for53808 to arrive back at the WSR for overhaul in November 22.

12. martin1656

I would imagine that it will be down to the committee of the trust, to decide on, do they accept any offer from the WSR, or decide, that it's in their own interests to decline it, and instead, come to an agreement whereby the WSR, make payments over time to a third party possibly the MHR, to relinquish any liability over the overhaul. I'm sure the solicitors can come up with some statement, that means there is no loss of face, on either side, and that the agreement becomes just a monetary issue, based on steaming fees for the time it was active on the WSR, if there is any liability for them to actually pay it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  13. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Paul42 and 35B like this.
  14. WSR_6960

WSR_6960 New Member

We seem to be seeing/hearing all of the right signals from both parties which is good news.

I note that the MHR had the benefit of 70 steaming days during 53808's first full year in service with them. That's a modest £17,500 in to the overhaul pot for that period then ...

15. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I am not sure what signals you're reading, but you might need to recalibrate your Google translate.

The characterisation of the running fees, not to say the amount is not correct.

16. WSR_6960

WSR_6960 New Member

I suppose that would depend entirely upon your perspective !

My understanding is that the S&D Trust are rightly holding the WSR Plc to their end of the agreement regarding the overhaul and they are making provisions for that eventuality.

Recent documents, statements etc. from both sides have indicated that all terms of the deal shall be upheld and adhered to hence my comment about "seeing/hearing the right signals".

17. Aberdare

Aberdare New Member

I fear that you are rather out of date with regard to locomotive hire fees, alternatively or your maths is not quite as it should be.

A locomotive of the size and usefulness of 53808 should be commanding a daily hire fee somewhere in the region of £600 to £800 per steaming day, with a minimum number of seaming days per year. Your figures result in a hire fee of £250 per day.

If the daily hire fee for 53808 is correct I would expect the management of the MHR are rubbing their hands with glee and using the locomotive every day they can. £250 per day would be more appropriate for Kilmersdon.

At 70 days steaming 53808 should have accrued nearer to £50,000 in the pot. By comparison £17,500 is very modest.

Andy.

lil Bear, ianh, Steve and 4 others like this.
  18. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Your maths is closer to being right

Gilesy68, Daddsie71b and green five like this.
  19. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

I grabbed my calculator and thought the batteries had gone haywire when £250 kept appearing. £800 to £1200 (unless its Flying Scotsman) for a 5F 8P range of loco. Is coal still £30 a ton?

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    If they’re getting Kilmersdon for £250/day they’re getting it cheaply.