If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

S160 6046

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by huochemi, Jan 13, 2012.

1. 44662

44662 New Member

retired policeman/classroom support assistant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I recall seeing an S160 on a sizeable freight in Greece when Inter Railing in September 1973. It was doing some speed down hill early one morning past the field we were sleeping rough in.The location was 40 or so miles to the south of Thessalonika on the line to Athens.A nice way to be woken up.Sadly the funds didn't extend to a decent camera or sleeping accomodation!
    Charles Boylan

2. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I think the main reason certification is being sought is so they have a loco that can bring charters off the mainline via Stoke. However, the article states the loco should be good for 45mph putting it in 8F territory and they would happily consider working other tours on secondary lines, such as the Ffestinog branch or a tour of freight line in the midlands. Another big plus is its considerable water / coal supply.

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

How big is a S160's tank ?, gotta be in the region of 5500 gallons I'd of thought ?.

4. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    According to Wiki both S160 and 8F carry 9 tons of coal, but S160 has 5400 gal water vs 4000 gal for 8F