If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saddle tank identification

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Rlangham, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

I agree with Steve, but was only suggesting those examples in case of extensive patching in a post-loco life...

2. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

From the "tank"s construction I would suggest it is the right way up -- but have no idea what it is, perhaps from beneath a Cornish or Lancashire boiler as a crude form of feed water heating (probably not) :-k

3. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

Another thought, if some of the plates and fittings are ignored as later repairs it has some resemblence to a tank of a Boulton water tube boiler loco (several were built at Ashton-under-Lyne some using machinery from Sturrock steam tenders), that would explain its large diameter, if so that would be a quite incredible relic.

4. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

As with Steve I have already said that this is most likely not related to locomotives. More than likely industrial use. ](*,)

5. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Tried, but under the water, rubbish and the darkness inside, I couldn't tell!

6. Muppet

Muppet Member

Saw them over Summer when exploring the area (including the incline up from Wirksworth). We came to the conclusion they were just water tanks from some other purpose. If I remember correctly, they were still partially plumbed in where they were sat. I'll see if I have any photos too, I know I took some!
    Tim