If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sandringham New Build(s)

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by D6332found, Jan 29, 2017.

1. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

It wasn't actually a Gresley design although he bore the responsibility (and no doubt insisted on 3 cylinders with his conjugated gear and the general outline being compatible with the 'Gresley Look'. ) . They were designed by NBL. And depending on what drawings are available to the replica builders one needs to bear in mind two things - the first batch of frames were insufficiently strong and had to be replaced in short order and also the new build will not be subject to the drastic weight restrictions of the GER. One wonders if the civil engineers were ever told about the stronger replacement frames.

ross, paullad1984 and ragl like this.
  2. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In view of the, fairly well known, problems that the "Patriot" group have had...
    ..Gav 106 writing...".Unfortunately things changed, management changed and the regular two guys who always worked on our loco at llan we put on other things, there was a variety of people doing work, instructed to do so in a certain way that wasn't correct. And may I point out that while we may be the only group that has been public about this (rightly or wrongly, but when you are spending public money you have to make a statement of some kind) we are not the only group to have been affected."
    It might be prudent for the B17 SLT team to issue some reassurance to their supporters that all is still good with regard to work done for them?

3. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

To be fair they already have from what I understand. On top of that there hasn't really been that much done on the frames of the B17 up to now.