If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Santas and Snow

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by mk1hater, Nov 29, 2010.

1. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thank you very much :)

Lewis

2. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

A small amount of snow has survived the big thaw at Bo'ness. WPR No. 17 and Morayshire were in action today, back to double heading after last weeks top+tail working and seen here nearing Kinneil with the Fife hills reflected in the Forth.
    View attachment 2068
    Unfortunately, No.17 failed with injector problems later on this working and the 'shire was topped by 47643 for the rest of the day.

3. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
  4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Do you know which loco is rostered for this Saturdays Evening dining train Lee? 45379 or 73096 I guess. Apparently an extra carriage has been added to the formation due to the high demand for seats. Looking forward to it (if we can get there!) Snow is falling as I write.............

5. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    SVR santas are again running as normal, although those photographers wanting to catch the light engine moves early in the morning should be aware that they are now 30 mins earlier, being 07.35 and 08.40 ex Bewdley as well as 07.40 ex Bridgnorth, Although the up Staff train (single coach top and tailed with two fairly big locos) remains at 09.30

6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Blimey! Woke this morning and the snow is back in Aldershot with a vengeance. MHR Santa's are CANCELLED today but website says they are hoping to run tonight's Dining service. I don't think we will be able to make it.

EDIT: FURTHER UPDATE - THE EVENING DINING TRAIN IS NOW CANCELLED AND WILL BE RESCHEDULED TO ANOTHER DATE.

7. SDJR 2-8-0 no 88 made light of the six inches of snow as it took the Santa Express out of a very snowy Bishops Lydeard Station on its way to Williton and back. What a fine spectacle. Driver Paul Conibeare and Fireman Raymond Lee in charge. Good S&DJR men both (not) :))

Steve

8. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

9. D1039

D1039 Guest

"Whilst the Railway has operated a near normal service today our evening dining train and our Christmas Carol Train have been CANCELLED"

Patrick

10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Welshpool and LLanfair Santas ran today. Andrew Charman has some slendid pictures on his Flickr site'

PH

11. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

From reports seen alsewhere it looks as though the Saturday SVR Santas were only kept operational by the dedication of staff and volunteers who spent a long cold day on the line keeping points clear, signalling operational and platforms safe.

Well done to all concerned, and no doubt they will be doing it all again today, given that at 0700 this morning it was minus 19 degrees at Shawbury.

12. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

13. 46118

Some very snowy images here from the SVR on the 18th, with due credit to the photographer, a member of the SVR P-Way team, who spent a very cold start to the day getting points and locking mechs. operating so that services could start:

http://pigfacespre2005railwaysite.fotopic.net/p68462051.html

14. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    had a very cold day myself guarding the teak set on the 18th!

15. lostlogin

lostlogin Member

The snow is great for pictures but even if all the trains run it must hit the passenger figures which can not be good as for some railways they are the busiest trains of the year.

Found this on the Internet showing snow clearance today on the Talyllyn, it explains whilst trains were curtailed yersterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckB-XavQbuc

I like the snowman on the buffer beam. they have more pictures on their website of the drifts blocking the line. I presuume other railways may have had similar problems but I have not found from a quick internet search

http://www.talyllyn.co.uk/news/talyllyn-railway-snow-171819-december-2010

16. Alex G

Alex G New Member

We managed to run our last weekend of Santa Specials at the PBR with no real problems. Below is a picture of RSH Austerity 71515 coming off shed on Saturday 18 December. Photo by Aled Williams.

71515 snow.jpg

17. 46118

Two pieces of info re Santas: The Glos-Warks have announced that they have decided for weather-related reasons to cancel their Santas on the 23rd and 24th, and their Boxing Day mince pie specials. Hoping to run their diesel day on the 27th.

The Severn Valley (see announcement on their public website) have had to cancel some of their Xmas Eve Santa departures due to operational problems (thought to be points-related) at Kidderminster.

18. alts1985

alts1985 Well-Known Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
  19. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Thanks for posting those Ashley. Looking at the forecast I'll have a drive down to the Bluebell tomorrow. It was either there or GCR again but the forecast is mist for Loughborough, whereas it's sunny intervals for East Grinstead after some overnight snow. Hopefully the roads won't be too bad round there.

20. steamybrian

steamybrian New Member

Retired
    The Spa Valley Railway at Tunbridge Wells ran a complete 100% Santa Special service. A magnificent effort by dedicated members cleared a foot of snow to enable the first train to run on 4th December. Although some members of staff were unable to travel to the railway to work others came in on unrostered dates to help cover those absent. The roads around Groombridge were impassable for several days and many villagers took the train into Tunbridge Wells to do their shopping. A heavy blizzard during the daytime on the 18th December caused the roads in Tunbridge Wells town centre to come to a standstill but the trains kept moving---on time! Well done to all concerned.