If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saphos Trains 2020

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 61994, Sep 15, 2019.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Since the Brit. has 'Air' maybe they could be the 'Beta' for this

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr...lutions-delays-dry-ice-how-to-remove-1.867967

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I notice the Severn Valley Enterprise for next July now has a revised itinerary. For the steam line bashers amongst you, it seems Wichnor Junction to Aston is no longer being done. I'm wondering how long the Sussex Belle will last in its current form before revision?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

And end up like the RTC Christmas trip version of the same name? I will hold of booking for now, since I am after Preston Park to Brighton and Eastbourne to Hastings steam hauled. Whilst I would do if Hastings to Ashford was removed and the trip become top and tailed steam, I think that is unlikley due to the limited Saphos crews and having to supplement with DBC.

4. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    That's what I'm thinking. I can now take or leave the SVR trip now there's substantially less required mileage. However, the Belle currently promises one hell of a lot of track I'd like to do.

5. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry to be a profit of doom but I would expect a few changes to this tour. These comments come from experience of planning engineering possession trains around Coastway East.

First of all, both Brighton and Eastbourne platforms can only take 12 20 metre emu coaches plus a little bit. The maximum possible train formation will be: steam loco, PO brake, 9 revenue coaches and DL. In this case there is no room to add an extra coach to help the economics.
    Secondly, Ore to Appledore is RA7 in the on line Sectional Appendix dated September 2018. This could restrict prohibit some steam locos. Most locos are restricted over the military canal bridge between Ashford and Ham Street.
    Finally, loading gauge clearances are "tight" to the extent that only W6a clearance freight vehicles are permitted. Again this could restrict or prohibit some steam locos. The gauging assessment will be the "make or break" for whether this tour can run as advertised.

After all that, the one path per hour available via Rye is a minor problem.

Cheers, Neil

6. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Thanks for the heads up on all these factors, Neil. I think I'll await developments before booking.

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I think that's very wise. It's only when the TOC puts its plan to NR (and that doesn't happen this far up front) that the problems, if there are any, emerge. An experienced TOC like the RTC will know all this in advance but that won't stop speculative stuff being put up as sometimes happens with the RTC.

So I can easily see that the publicity folk at Saphos might well be a little ahead of the operations team and exactly what is possible...or not!

8. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I posted a while ago that the proposed route could be problematical. Thank you for your informed assessment of the likely areas of concern. I thought that the biggest problem was a bridge between Hastings and Ore over which all steam locos were banned. Has this been sorted? Certainly other representatives of the classes of both possible locos to work this trip (Britannia and Braunton) have worked over the Ashford-Hastings line in the preservation era, but that obviously doesn't mean that they still can.

The easiest solution, if Saphos wants to offer something different from the RTC "Sussex Belle" route would be simply to return from Eastbourne to London via Plumpton. I would guess that this would still give long enough to serve an evening meal to those in Premier Dining.

9. Romsey

Retired SPM
    The link to the Sectional Appendix has come up with a "Run Time error", so I can't check. From memory locos up to and including RA7 were permitted with a speed restriction over the Military Canal bridge, but RA8 and above were banned.
    Steam locos are gauged in an individual basis for each route and the certification only lasts for one year, so any steam working via Rye will need to be assessed from first principles.

Cheers, Neil

10. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

So that implies that quite a few of the trips in the various programmes are, let's say, subject to confirmation. So as to be fair between promoters,

Vintage Trains 7029 Birmingham to Bishops Lydeard
    Saphos Trains pool trip through the Midlands to SVR
    A1LST trip via Cumbrian Coast
    RTC Cotton Mill

must all involve locos covering routes they have not covered in the last year, or in some cases,ever.

And for something like the GB2020, virtually the entire trip must require gauging.

11. Romsey

Retired SPM
    The gauging, even for regular trips over frequently used routes such as 35028 over the Surrey Hills, are checked annually to allow for any infrastructure changes. As I understand it, odd routes like Stranraer will be checked from first principles. Routes used regularly by the same locos will be a process of reviewing changes. With laser gauging of locos and structures it is a much quicker and more accurate process than formerly with a working drawing of the loco and structural diagrams of each structure to be checked.

Gauging is just one reason why planning railtours isn't a quick process. Sometime railtour assessments have to be delayed to check "out of gauge" transits for engineering works materials. The cost of a renewal may run into tens of millions of pounds once all the planning and alternative service costs are considered across the industry. That obviously should take priority over a single railtour financially as well as the number of passengers (and freight tonnage) affected.

Cheers, Neil

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Sussex Belle is now London Victoria to Hastings via Redhill and Tonbridge - Hastings, 2 hour break, diesel hauled to Eastbourne for 2 hours break. Return Steam hauled Eastbourne to Victoria via Rye, Ashford and Sevenoaks.Due to be hauled by Braunton.

They advise change of route is due to " We have been advised by Network Rail that due to station restrictions this train is unable to call at Brighton"

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

For as long as I can remember there has always been a train length restriction at Brighton. Maybe Saphos didn't know?

14. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    It still appeals, so at least they still think they can do Hastings-Ashford, and Sevenoaks a bonus after last October. Shame not going via Orpington.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  15. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    Confirmed (supposedly) that 1st February is to be hauled by 45231 and 15th February to be hauled by 46100

3ABescot likes this.
  16. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Tonbridge - Hastings is quite rare these days, too. Normally the other way round.

17. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    No doubt because of the climb out of Tonbridge - 1 in 47 at the steepest and on a sharp curve. Still, there will have to be a diesel on the back for the Hastings- Eastbourne leg anyway. It's quite amazing listening to recordings of Schools Class locos taking 10 or 11 up that fierce incline unaided, sometimes from a standing start at Tonbridge station, yet the Bricklayers Arms and St Leonards crews used to do it day in, day out.

alastair likes this.
  18. 3ABescot

3ABescot Member

19. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    45231+11+Cl 47 from Crewe.

20. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer