If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saving 3 Cig 1498

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by stuartreeder, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Yes. like most sane people here. Another month will go by and you will be starting another dreamland project! I know, lets go for gold and start a new-build Decapod! Better get the tracing paper out...

oddsocks likes this.
  2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No problem at all, but you still don't seem to get the point that this is in the real world, with real kit to be bought with real people's money. Even without your "interesting" track record, there is nothing about the way this project is set up that could make me consider touching this with a bargepole.

I don't know who you are, where I could find you if there was an issue with the fund raising, what skills are being brought in, what your hopes are for where the unit will live, anything. These are the sort of things that matter, not a page on F******k and some self-promotion. It that was on an e-mail, it would normally get you onto the Scams thread. As I believe you are genuine in your intent, I just consider you severely deluded.

You will not save 1498, just as there will not be a tourist railway in Dunstable and 45015 will never haul another train.

There are plenty of people on here with far more experience of the hard graft of railway preservation who have given you the same advice - go and join a group so you can learn the ropes. Teenagers may have saved 1466, but that's the exception - and was in a completely different era. The Bluebell was saved by teenagers - but they had the nous to find older, more experienced hands to help them; they werent't mug enough to try to DIY.

Stop fantasising about what you might be able to achieve if only your vision came true, and get your hands dirty on a real project, with real people, and real objectives. You might then do something useful for railway preservation instead of annoying a lot of people who do know what it's about - along with others like me who know their role in the armchair.

oddsocks, Sheff and Jamessquared like this.
  3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I was tempted to put a seed-corn pound in, just for the fun of the hunt to get it back again, but it's £2 min, and I'm not the flushed ;)

RalphW, Spamcan81 and Jamessquared like this.
  4. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    ... and then there was silence....

Until the next start-up group!

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Take out a Wonga loan? ;)

6. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I recon it could, with the aid of some wheel skates and a steep enough hill.
    [/sorry]

35B likes this.
  7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

It is very easy to be Churlish in circumstances like this and resort to a little Black Humour, had we not been here before with a long list of failed schemes that never got off their facebook page that have one thing in common ..... Stuart

in the time Stuart has been touting ideas a group of young people has bought and returned to steam an Andrew Barclay at Wiliton and now look forward to their next two projects . The Aln Valley is laying track and established Lionheart station, and I'm sure posters could add many other projects that have advanced

Stuart , stop dreaming of glory and join a project where you can have the pride in making something happen for real and not in cyberspace

oddsocks and 35B like this.
  8. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

Stuart, I don't know who you are, but can I give you some advice. I set up Swanage Diesel Group in the '80's, managed to get enough people to contribute on a monthly basis. We had identified 25027 at Swindon, almost had it running but due to the residual asbestos issues it went for scrap. We then tried to purchase it through that nice Mr V. Berry at Leicester who wanted £15k for it. In the end we bought 25244 for £4K, suffice to say, we had no real game plan, no engineering expertise and no extra capitol and so swapped it for a class 14 in working order. This was sold on and the money put into a DMU. The moral of the story is, it is easy to buy a loco, unit, coach etc, but you need an infrastructure to back it up. We failed and learnt our lesson. 25244 languishes in a siding at KESR never to move again under its own power.

Sheff, 35B and johnofwessex like this.
  9. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

10. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Mr Reeder himself, perhaps?

11. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

£10 pledged, just 3499 pledges needed now.

edit....not by me!

12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Surely you don't think he'd be daft enough to use his initials in his user name ? :Facepalm:

13. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

I can think of several people who have intentions of proving you wrong on that bit....

Daddsie71b, stuartreeder and Miff like this.
  14. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

we will keep bidding until a bid is successful, also the owner has been approached through the person dealing with the sale who is at the railway that the unit is at. Thanks daddsie71b for the info

15. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

In Stuart's defence and to his credit, at least he isn't hiding behind a different name with each project.

I tend to agree with those who have advised him to cut his teeth helping an established project before going it alone

16. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

thanks reading general , I have done some stuff on the established front , I was a tracker at west Somerset railway , then I helped out cleaning ,painting and helping thread electrical cable through the metal cable ducts and finished off helping run a model railway stall at Williton station for someone.

17. Daddsie71b

Daddsie71b Member Friend

It might be cheaper to rebuild it as 36006

18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Two things - by making the statement above you've just told the owner to keep holding out for more money because you'll keep bidding, not a very sensible thing to have done.
    Secondly, how are you going to 'keep bidding until a bid is successful' when you don't have any money???

Are you ever going to answer any of the questions that you have been asked on this thread or are you still putting your fingers in your ears and saying 'can't hear you, can't hear you, I'm right, I'm right'?

Keith

19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

A good start, now to work through the life of a project. Oh, and please consider how much these experiences taught you about what you'd need to do for 1498.

20. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    Phew, that's a big relief. Threading electrical cable, cleaning and painting and running the model railway. Absolutely clear you are now qualified and experienced enough to new-build a Dean Goods, L1(LNER), L1 (Southern), Restore a 28xx from Barry condition and now rebuild a 3 CIG. For a moment I thought you was living in dream-world.

Only problem is - What are you doing after lunch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.