If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Saving 3 Cig 1498

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by stuartreeder, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Any more pocket money raised?

1. SR.Keoghoe

SR.Keoghoe New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  2. Fund raising for a unit that he hasn't even had the courtesy to ask the owner if they are willing to sell? Muppet.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Is it not for sale though ?

4. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

to answer your question Muppet - the owner is willing to sell as he would rather it be used for railway use than broken up or used for non railway use hope that answers your question.

Sidmouth yes it is still up for sale.

5. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Think Muppet you are the Muppet for your catalogue of Muppety no hope schemes that you think up whilst sitting in your bedroom and present to a fairly learned body of people who have given up trying to stop you making yourself look like a Muppet.

If the owner is not considered a Muppet and has researched you and your track record of muppetry on Nat Pres I very, very much doubt he is taking you seriously and probably thinks your wasting his time and taking him for a muppet.

I preferred Camberwick Green personally

6. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

for one I don't sit in my bedroom and also just because you lot on here don't believe in my groups doesn't mean everyone doesn't believe.

7. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    Looking at your fundraising results for the 3CIG and the number of big metal things that are now successfully pulling carriages up and down preserved railways thanks to your groups neither does anyone else!

Muppet

8. goldfish

goldfish Nat Pres stalwart

Unfortunately you have got zero credibility as a result of your litany of half-started projects which have all ended in failure. Your named involvement for any project will be seen as a reason to avoid that project by most people – I suspect you've got to the point that you're actively damaging the prospects of the artefacts you're trying to protect. Ie The 3cig is more likely to be scrapped if stuartreeder is leading its preservation than it would if he wasn't involved.

As so many have said before, find a successful, well run project – a railway looking for volunteers or an established group either operating a loco or well through restoration, and quietly help them out, building some experience and learning what's required. Maybe in a few years time, with better contacts, a friendly base, and a bit more knowledge, you'd stand a better chance.

Simon

lil Bear likes this.
  9. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I've only just found this, not frequenting this area of the forum all too often - I've almost missed out on all the fun!

10. Just sprayed tea all over my screen reading that. :Facepalm: :Wacky:

I'll spell it out slowly... I wasn't signing myself as 'Muppet'. ;)
    Where would we be without all these born entertainers, eh? Life would be very dull...

Certainly much more entertaining than all the froth, wibble and grown men crying over Flying Haggis...

lil Bear and flying scotsman123 like this.
  11. nigelss

nigelss Member

I haven't read the entire thread so please excuse me if this has already been answered. I saw this unit at Brockenhurst during its last days of operation on the Lymington branch. I thought it looked wonderful with its gleaming green paintwork. It looked like it had just come out of the works. I also saw it at the EOR where the gleaming finish was just a memory. I'm wondering what the unit would be used for if it were to be preserved by Mr Reeder's group and/or others. Could it be powered up in some way so that lights and heating work? I'm not thinking of third rail of course! Are there locations willing to give it a home? I'm not sure of the attraction of riding in a cold dark carriage operating in a non-authentic manner, but at the same time I don't like to see railway heritage (to some people anyway) get scrapped either.

12. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    wibble (1).jpg

13. stuartreeder

stuartreeder Member

mainly hauled stock and a few railways I have asked are interested.

could be converted like they are doing with 1399.

14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Stuart, do you not appreciate that you have zero credibility at the moment? And the way to gain some is NOT to "prove yourself" by trying another fantasy project that "really will work this time" but to get involved in something already ongoing. If you really want to have some sort of say, most railway organisations need people who are happy to help organise things, and for many of these roles it wouldn't take long for you to work tour way up to such a position, if you were really committed.

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Most such stock can be fully operated by 33/1s and 73s (maybe some other classes?).
    They can be hauled by any air-braked loco, but if not of the above class then they would not be able to operate the heating and some of the other electrics IIRC.

16. nigelss

nigelss Member

Thanks to stuartreeder and lil Bear for the replies. I recall the Bluebell's 4-VEP running on the Swanage Railway not so long ago and also on the Bluebell, both times behind a 73 (?). I have no idea of the differences between a 4-VEP and a 3-CIG but it sounds like possibilities do exist for the 3-CIG with other locos. Just wondering if the Southern Electric Traction Group are aware of the 3-CIG and if they have any interest in it. If not, perhaps they could still be a useful source of information. It seems to me that what this scheme needs is a definite plan for the unit if it were to be restored, and a realistic evaluation of the cost of keeping it in good order in the future. Without the guarantee of a base for the unit and a full understanding of the costs involved to keep it in good order there is little point in restoring it in the first place, however sad that might be.

17. One of the most atmospheric preserved railway journeys I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying was shuttling up and down the short line at Beamish in the directors saloon, freezing cold and lit only by the guard's handlamp. I could have stayed there all night!

18. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

nice put down!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.