If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Scarborough Flyer 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, May 19, 2014.

1. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

If this is fact it is to be hoped that there is a plan to return the routes to the previous access standard as quickly as possible. Restricting the motive power for these major trans Pennine routes is a significant barrier to a number of businesses. Whilst it is appreciated steam tours are a comparatively minor customer, SMEs are owed consideration in just the same way as the corporate giants especially as they can't exert leverage as well.

MikeParkin65 and Drysdale like this.
  2. Tiviot Dale

Tiviot Dale New Member

A further update …..

As the previous statement might have seem a little ambiguous, especially to those apparently more concerned with the source of information (the forum mentioned) than with its validity, let it be made clear that it is the TRACK that has moved near Mossley, NOT the bridge! The track at that point is stated to "move outwards” when trains pass over it.

That part of the ban seems, apparently, only to have been a cautionary measure, as the line is said by some not to have been visited by a gauging train in recent times (although such a train WAS seen departing westwards from Huddersfield not all that long ago). Indeed further information has arisen only today to suggest that there are now NO suitable paths available anyway on the Standedge route.

Moving to the Calder Valley route, there appear to be two tunnels east of Todmorden that are causing issues with larger locos and, once again, the largest loco currently permitted is a 5X.

In fact, from the number of e-mails that this writer has received on the matter over the last 72 hours, all of the aforesaid appears now to be common knowledge, at least around the North-West, so there appears to be some foundation to the majority of it.

Finally, with the ‘Yorkshire area’ steam ban seemingly still being in place, No 46115 is, effectively, ‘marooned’ at York … and, of course, No 46233 will be in a similar position at Butterley! It, is, however, somewhat curious that Scots are now in the list of locos banned over Standedge, but Jubilees ARE permitted … whilst, on the Cumbrian Coast route that situation is reversed! (Curious!!)

Drysdale likes this.
  3. 26D_M

Notwithstanding the fact that they haven't used the trans Pennine routes recently what is the theoretical status of Britannia and Bulleid pacifics?

4. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Wouldn't that make it unsafe for ALL traction passing over that stretch of line?
    what does a class 66/70 do to the track

Neil

5. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

Is 46233 affected by the Yorkshire area steam ban? Couldn't it just take the shortest route, i.e. via Derby, to Crewe? Or via Lichfield and WCML, as it did on its inaugural Night Owl run?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

If you're a member then I suggest you check out their forum rules,

"Some information may well be confidential to members, so postings should NOT be quoted elsewhere outside of the forum".

Which is why it's a closed forum.

7. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

would 6201 fit

8. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Probably not, must be bigger than a Scot.

9. 26D_M

Only in its present state of dismantle!

Drysdale likes this.
  10. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And it's all irrelevant until Yorks lift the steam ban.

11. mike1522

So, A4,Bullieds, Britannia , Duchess, Princess Royal and Scots all of the Pacifics
    Are NR trains getting smaller while 4-6-2's are going to remain Bigger, therefore becoming out of gauge? It is going to get harder for 12-car tour trains to run behind steam.
    I really hope Castle's fit but am doubting myself at the moment even on that.

I'm really glad that the A4 celebrations were able to happen last year based on the current situation.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Drysdale likes this.
  12. 26D_M

Nobody has said whether or not Bulleids or Brits are barred too.
    That said, it does seem pretty arbitrary based on what has been posted so far.

13. mike1522

I believe that I'm starting to see the "BIG PICTURE" and I don't like what I see. The more steam engines that become out of gauge on routes the less fun that we are going to have. This will be a huge blow if none of the Scarborough Flyers operate this year. When you add the factors up, Gauging issue, York steam ban and Fire Brigade Union strikes are all barriers. This is the direction our hobby is headed. It hit the brain today. Something has to be done.

Drysdale likes this.
  14. 26D_M

While it's probably a long way off yet, this would cause a stink if 4472 was banned. Bad publicity for NR.

mike1522 likes this.
  15. charterplan

charterplan Member

If there is track movements, then why isn't N/R doing something to correct it and also gauging the line again, as surely if the lines move out,then its a h&S risk to derailment,and more importantly passenger safety.
    Are class 47,66 ect smaller than steam locos

16. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    As a precautionary measure, the required clearances are increased depending on how long ago the route was last gauged, so sometimes gauging issues with steam locos may arise even although in practice nothing has physically changed at all. I believe that many routes are gauged only about every 4 years or so.

David

17. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Deleted

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  18. mike1522

It might be good to keep 4472 based somewhere else rather than York during the summer time. Bristol or Crewe

I really hope that this weeks Flyer Runs but there is a TBA for what is going to power the train.

19. Woolley

Woolley Member

Had an email today the trip on the 15th august is cancelled :-(

20. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

and then there were 2