If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Schools Class "Cheltenham"

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by cct man, Jun 23, 2010.

1. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

I watched the Rainhill programme on BBC steam railway page today - it made mention that the loco was going to put into the mainline pool - as far as i am aware it never worked again until after the MHR restored her - why was that?

BBC - The Great Railway Cavalcade: Rocket 150 at Rainhill

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Because at the time it apparently failed an axle ultrasonic exam, since found to be erroneous.

3. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

That's very interesting! Shortly before Rocket 150 the BR inspectors (from Derby IIRC) came to Steamport to certify Derek Foster's Jinty 47298 for travel over BR to Bold. Each axle, in turn,showed the same apparent fault - a crack near the wheel seat. After some discussion it was decided that the equipment must be faulty,signed the loco off and went to lunch! So Cinderella went to the Ball and the wheels didn't fall off. Just wondering if they used the same equipment on Cheltenham with the same results! Ray.

4. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I'm not sure that this often reported failed ultrasonic axle exam is not a myth. The loco went to Rainhill with nothing much more done to it than a hydralic boiler test, so was in pretty much the condition that it was in when withdrawn in 1962. From Railhill it went to Dinting for the summer (1980) and was steamed on several occasions before one or more tubes failed. It was towed back to York that autumn and various plans were hatched in the early eighties for its future. At one point it was all set to go to Hull to be overhauled by HLPG who had then just completed "Sir Lamiel" but this was cancelled at the last moment. Later further consideration about an overhaul was deferred due to the problem of asbestos removal and there matters rested until agreement was reached with the Mid-Hants to tackle the job.

As I understand it, it was the need for a full boiler overhaul rather than a flawed axle that laid the loco up for thirty odd years.

Peter James

5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Out of interest, Cheltenham has been performing shunting duties on the MHR recently, as we have a sudden lack of operational Diesel shunters. As I type it is trundling up and down at the bottom of my garden sorting out stock for the weekend's trains, including the Watercress Belle on Saturday, which will be running with two kitchen cars (don't ask!) If it wasn't so cold, I might be tempted to take a pic or two. In the meantime, here is one I prepared earlier.
    There wasn*t snow in Chawton Woods this Christmas | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

[​IMG]

6. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Oh dear, just got a clearer view of the loco shunting at Alresford today, it is Lord Nelson, serves me right for seeing something big and green and assuming! Cheltenham was shunting at Ropley last week though! Just been to the station to watch 850 in the snow.