If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

September issue details

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by RM Staff, Aug 5, 2008.

1. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

The September-dated issue should hit the bookstalls on August 7, and some of the highlights are:

• 46115 Scots Guardsman on the cover in Brunswick green
    • A1 No 60163 Tornado in steam and moving (not that you can tell from a still photo!)
    • Full report and photos on Carnforth - and a big thanks to those to attended the event
    • Picture of the 'day-glo' class 59 no 59001, new livery for Cross Country HST, and West Yorkshire Class 333 electric

Features:

• A survey of all rail gauge widths that were used in the UK
    • A tale of two signalboxes - Slough IECC and Stockley Jct
    • Saving the nation's pictorial heritage
    • Continental Contrasts - a Practice & Performance special looking a the DB main line along the Rhine and the Harz NG system

plus your usual news pages and a three-page Gala round-up.

I hope you enjoy it.

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Recieved it today, a most excellent read if I may say so. The pic of the Javelins on P.5 was stunning I felt, and the article on gauges exceptionally interesting

3. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    New issue looks good. Had a quick flick through and noticed the back page comment regarding the Mag going into the works. Can we expect a new look next month?

4. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

5. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment ! I will explain more later in the month but it will be subtle rather than radical, as radical does not work and this is a subject that needs sympathetic treatment, not a modern garish makeover like a lads mag. I think you will be pleased.

There have been some comments that the staff need fitters attention too !!!!!!!!! Mind you I am having hair cut soon....but the fitness regime will have to wait (he adds with a latte and sticky bun on the desk!) :-D

6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment ! I will explain more later in the month but it will be subtle rather than radical, as radical does not work and this is a subject that needs sympathetic treatment, not a modern garish makeover like a lads mag. I think you will be pleased.

There have been some comments that the staff need fitters attention too !!!!!!!!! Mind you I am having hair cut soon....but the fitness regime will have to wait (he adds with a latte and sticky bun on the desk!) :-D[/quote:3d0updte]

Sounds interesting! Keep up the good work.

7. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Chris, How do propose dealing with your Chief Correspondent?? I'm sure he is in need of more than just fitters attention.

8. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

Why the double or more pointing out of 59001 yellow warning panel when in fact it hasn't changed size ?
    Anyway good issue, liked practice and performance.

9. RM Staff

RM Staff New Member

I think the point was that you dont need a full yellow front end on a loco or unit, and maybe livery designers ought to think about that. However, I thought the new panel was smaller but having looked again maybe not, and old age is playing tricks.

10. Beaker

Beaker Well-Known Member

My point being if you have a picture of 59001 before repaint the point of the warning panel wouldn't have been highlighted, its more making news than reporting it.
    Anyway thanks for replying and its a good magazine apart from that slight niggle

11. nipper

nipper New Member

I think the real point is that these people are both journalists and enthusiasts, so can you realistically expect them to know every paint deriviative and variation of every piece of rolling stock? Of course not, and even looking at photos produces conflicting info.

I looked at a website with loads of 59s on and 59001 has had a variety of full and part front ends over the years, so cut them some slack? Even if it had a small panel before, there will be readers who may not be aware of that nor the fact it was permitted.

12. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Another excellent issue, enjoyed the signalling article. Put my subscription leaflet in the post this morning!