If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Autumn Steam September 21-23

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by mike1522, Mar 6, 2012.

1. D1039

D1039 Guest

Thanks for sharing these. A couple of add ons....the magnificent GWR signalbox at Kidderminster was commissioned on......... 21 November 1987 Severn Valley Railway S&T Department (unofficial) website. It and the station are, in fact, "new"!

The Prairie xxxx that relieved 5164 would be 4566

I too prefer non-Gala times, there's three engines in steam tomorrow on a mid-week in October!

Hope this helps

Patrick

2. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

If you are talking about this picture Patrick SVR Steam Gala 2012-09-22 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! If you look it is 5164 at the head of the train! Also there were no workings on the Saturday where the prairies swapped for with each other on a train heading north. Good photos though enjoyed looking at them.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I hate to correct you here but the Prairies did change over at Bewdley hence the comment. 5164 brought the train up from Kidderminster and was cut off. Maybe it was still on the front at the time, I cannot remember if I took that photo before or after the changeover now but in hindsight that was probably the case as I did have to cross the bridge from platform 2 to get the close up picture and they swapped when I was on platform 1. I will amend the description accordingly. The other Prairie that was already sat at the North end then ran down onto the train. I can't remember the exact time but the down train prior to this move was hauled by 43106 an the next up by 31806 which crossed with the T9 running from Highley.

Thanks D1039 for the info. I will get these updated ASAP. All I need to find out now is what is under the tarpaulin at Bridgnorth. Anyone?

4. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    6634 - Pete Waterman's 56xx. The agreement is the SVR complete the restoration and have it for 5 years when they are sent the finished boiler from LNWR Crewe. Unfortunately there have been delays in the completion of this.

5. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

You are correct - the prairies did swap over but this wasn't supposed to happen according to the timetable. That train was supposed to be hauled by 1501 with 5164 as pilot as far as Bewdley. However as 1501 had failed the spare loco 4566 was brought into action. It came down from Bridgnorth on the back of a train (hauled by 31806) and was detached at Bewdley. The train that was supposed to be double headed arrived from Kidderminster behind 5164 which was then removed and substituted by 4566 (taking the place of 1501). 5164 then returned to Kidderminster as scheduled on the freight.