If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Autumn Steam September 21-23

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by mike1522, Mar 6, 2012.

1. 45407&44871

45407&44871 Guest

Thanks for that! Will be good to see her :)

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well hopefully they take on the feedback and don't simply see it as critism. Slightly disapointed in the variety of the gala though, the same locos do basically the same thing all weekend. Very few Double-headers apart from Sunday when 5164 DH with anything and everything. And 1501 only passenger train North of Highley coincides with 7799 only solo passenger train South of Highley. Minor critisms I know, but the ASG is symbolised by the variety on offer throughout the weekend. Having looked through the WTT most of Saturday is simply repeating Friday with only a little bit of difference come Sunday to get locos to the right end of the line come the end of services.

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Don't forget that Kidderminster Railway Museum will be open continuously throughout the gala and have a great cafe serving refreshments and food and certainly in my experience serves the best coffee to be had

there is also the Guild of Railway Artists exhibition to have a good look at as well

Do go and see David and the team

4. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Nothing better than a Toastie and a coffee in thw museum in the early hours of the morning! Such a godsend that they open throughout.

5. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

SVR Gala 24th March 054.jpg I've no complaints about whats on offer or what the engines are working. We are driving from near Southampton on the Saturday, leaving very early as we usually do, and after a full breakfast will be able to bash everything we want, assuming it stays as rostered, plus a bit of foting at Highley, which is a good location pm especially if the sun is out.

Two questions though. First which way is 30120 facing (its not on the SVR postings). Second is about the connections at Kidderminster. Some are 8 minutes. Can it be assumed that these will be held? Obviously if its the same stock they will be, but in past years the incoming train has been held outside if late whilst the outbound train is despatched to pass the incoming train by the carriage shed.

Thanks

Don

6. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    Anybody got a PDF version or similar version of the working timetable that they would be willing to send me to save paying the extortionate £5 that the railway want for a copy on their website?

7. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

No they haven't and as I say every year when this subject comes up the money from the working timetable goes towards the upkeep and although you might want something for free it is not fair on those who have been kind enough to buy one and also robbing the railway of vital income.

Please can everyone refrain from asking or providing links to free versions here. The fact is if you want one you have to buy one. Anyone who does post such link will find the link removed and action as appropriate taken! Also any further requests for free versions of the working timetable will be removed immediately.

8. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

South (just noticed on the forum) and no you can't assume I'm afraid. Just be thankful that the shortest is 8 mins which is more than some years. If late, passing will occur in the main/loop as you say. That said the timetable is relatively simple compare to other years so there is less to go wrong and we shouldn't be late *fingers crossed*

9. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Weird that a north facing 5164 is piloting the full length trains from BY-KR Sunday, luckily three of the four are backwards anyway...

10. nhumble37

nhumble37 New Member

Are you able to purchase just the £5 WTT on its own?? -- can`t see for looking
    Anyone help PLEASE
    TIA
    Neale

11. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Excellent news, and totally agree with you. Its a welcome source of warm drinks at 3am! Surprised this isn't mentioned in the leaflet though.

Yes. From SVR website;
    "A Working Timtable is available for this event. Working Timetables cost £5.00 each and can be purchased in advance, with your tickets, either online or by telephone on 01299 403816."

Guessing online they are no longer available as they can't guarantee them arriving in time for you. Can usually opurchase them from the stations on the day though :)

12. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Too Right!! Far too many people don't seem to want to contribute to keep things going. If none of us paid and just expected to go along for free there soon wouldn't be railways for us to enjoy. I can't comment on the person who requested the PDF but far too many people just turn up to these events, take their photos and go home without contributing a penny towards the up keep of the railway.

13. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

There was a guy at the MHR Gala on the Friday who got rather irate when he was told that he had to pay £20.00 to get in at Ropley. He thought he could just wander in free of charge just to stand on the platforms, get some pictures and clear off again. He stated that he had no intention of travelling on the trains. His comment to the lady on the gate was "I'm off to Swanage, you can get in for nothing there". Her reply was "Well, we want to be here next year!"

14. Des

Des New Member

And the cost of petrol to Swanage is probably more than the £20!

15. jamesd

jamesd Member

If I'm spending either £22.50, £33.50 or £44.50 on a rover ticket I'd like to know where to start, change trains etc in order to travel behind the locos I want so some sort of basic loco roster should be provided when buying a ticket. I'm not interested in coaching stock or light engines etc and having bought the full wtt in the past I found I didn't use it once I'd worked out what trains I wanted to go on but I had to carry round a massive booklet in my pocket all day.

I'm going on Friday and Saturday this year to travel in the trains, where am I likely to find the T9 and Coal Tank? Are they working full line trains?

16. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

And also, are dogs allowed at the gala/on trains?

17. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

The T9 is doing southend locals and the coal tank is doing the northend local. The occasional doubleheading may be seen.
    Having just checked the gala instructions, Yes they are, £2 for the day.

18. donbenn2000

donbenn2000 New Member

Just phone them up like I did. I also bought tickets but I am sure you can just buy the WTT. Mine arrived 1st class post next day. Incidentally the WTT differs from the public tt in at least one place, the timings of 34053 on the 1636 ex BH on Saturday. I suspect the public version is correct.

And no you cant have a copy of my WTT.

Don

19. jamesd

jamesd Member

Brilliant, thank you.

20. Dan Bennett

Dan Bennett Member

South Western Railway Fitter
    I will be paying to travel, don't take many pictures to be honest. I wouldn't mind paying for the WTT if it was a bit cheaper, £5 seems a bit expensive when so many of the other major heritage railways such as the NYMR and Swanage and a lot of the smaller ones too make the WTT available for free :)