If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway 2019 Autumn Gala 19th-22nd September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

What's needed is a online delivery method of the WTT, something I did suggest before, the railway could save on printing costs too.

2. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I suspect if it was more widely available in digital form it would quickly spread via email, forums etc. At the moment, anyone wishing to do so would have to go to all the bother of scanning everything in first.

michaelh and lil Bear like this.
  3. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    No I do not currently volunteer

My wife has suggested exactly the same thing. Still haven’t received mine in the post

4. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    Yes and can’t decide anything until I get it

5. Pete Thornhill

Maybe, but in this day and age there are ways round that. I'd like to think that most enthusiasts would be happy to pay in the knowledge their money is going to a good cause.

To be completely honest it wouldn't take 5 minutes to scan in and produce a PDF of the WTT if you really wanted to so I'm not to sure if that us really the barrier you suggest.

However, delivery could be completed instantly on release of the document or at the stage it went to the printers meaning it would be available sooner for example.

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  6. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

To add to the strangeness, the WTT is made available for the Spring Steam Gala but not the Autumn one.

7. Colin Allcars

Colin Allcars Member

Loco directions are also important. The Wsr used to manage to include that in their booklet. As the Svr wtt doesn't include that I have to highlight smokebox first running. That can be done by scanning as a picture but would be much easier as a file.

8. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I usually just take a highlighter straight to it, in that respect I prefer a hard copy that I can scribble on.

George37428 likes this.
  9. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

With all the last minute diesel gala visitor availability it would be out of date before it got printed ,never mind posted or on the actual day .

10. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

You cannot save on printing costs as these documents have to be issued to operational staff to ensure full understanding and therefore smooth running on the day. Consulting your laptop etc is a tad impractical when you are on the footplate of a steam loco for example. Galas are eye wateringly expensive to stage and carry an attendance (and therefore income) risk in the event of bad weather or other detracting events. Charging for the extensive information in these documents is a way of helping to balance the books. Unless galas make financial sense they quite simply won't continue to happen. It really is that straightforward.

11. Reformed Sniper

Reformed Sniper New Member

My WTT hasnt't arrived yet. How long do you think I should leave it before contacting the SVR?

12. 50850-27C

50850-27C New Member

As a regular vistior to both Spring and Autumn Galas I've always thought it strange. This is not to say that I begrudge paying for it

For anyone interested, the following information is now on the SVR website
    The Loco Roster
    • Thursday: 1450, 2857, 30541, 43106, 76017, 34092 City of Wells
    • Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 1450, 4144, 6960 Raveningham Hall, 30541, 34027 Taw Valley, 34092 City of Wells, 75069, 76017
    • Friday & Saturday overnight: 1501, 7714
    Locomotives facing Bridgnorth: 7714, 30541, 34027 Taw Valley, 34092 City of Wells, 43106, 76017
    Locomotives facing Kidderminster: 1450, 1501, 2857, 4144, 6960, 75069

JBTEvans likes this.
  13. Pete Thornhill

I’m sure we have had this conversation before, but this is 2019. A pdf document could be printed off for staff who do need them, or at least a reduced run produced which would mean lower cost.

No one can dispute galas are expensive to stage, we are singing from the same hymn sheet on that one. I never suggested giving it away free, rather charge a fiver still but provide an online portal as a delivery option.

JBTEvans likes this.
  14. gricerdon

Gricer and Grandad
    I phoned today and was told they had all been sent out and to phone again on Monday if mine hadn’t arrived

15. George37428

George37428 New Member

Having a done a number of overnights the last two years i have been in the buffet car off the n set and actually had a decent rest better than i ever did in the compartments so comfortable i missed my 3am tea in Kidderminster museum...

16. jamesd

jamesd Member

The whole WTT is too big and carries far too much information to carry around in your pocket anyway so for most travellers is impractical. Paying a fiver for something like this that is available for free at other events at the same railway is ridiculous. This, coupled with the crowds and the hours spent sat in passing loops waiting time are why I don’t bother with SVR galas anymore. I get far more enjoyment from a normal running day.

D7076 likes this.
  17. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

TBH they have tightened the timetables recently, often before Arley was the pinch point with a 20min wait in each direction.

If you take a look at the timetable, it's now 1hr 20 each way during the main part of the day, which is only marginally longer than a normal running day.

18. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
  19. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

They can ,just not for the Autumn Steam Gala .. Bluebell used to be worse having to fight to get start and finish times out of them .The roster is more of an advertising tool than any number of posters ,glossy expensive magazine adverts and photos to those wanting to travel behind certain locos .

20. Will RL

Will RL Member

This gala is usually regarded as a steam calendar highlight and attracts a lot of lineside attention from people after a free show. For them to know the loco roster requires the WTT and therefore a contribution is made. Hiring and steaming these locos can cost a couple thousand, so to enjoy it all with the contribution of the rover price is great! Surely an additional £5 shouldn’t break the bank when we consider what’s being organised for us to enjoy?