If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Railway to launch £4,000,000 share issue.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by geekfindergeneral, Oct 16, 2011.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Tom: Apart from Kidderminster which is "new build" to a particular era, the other SVR stations are as far as I am aware still pretty much as built when the line was built.

Lets hope that when the revised ( or rather new plans) for buildings at Bridgnorth are unveiled that they fit in period-wise with the listed station building. That was the big no-no with the original plans, ie a "modern" building grafted onto a Victorian listed structure. Now get the exterior right, in harmony with what is already there, and you have choices for the interior. True you have to comply with modern H & S, building regs, facilities etc, but you can go for either a modern functional interior, or a "period" interior that still meets the regs, and the function it is designed for, ie shop, cafe etc. Probably costs more to put in a period interior, but I bet it would look good, and be a different "experience" for the patrons.

Just as a reminder, here is a link to the "Plan B" website with the alternative "period" structure, ie on the opposite side of the existing station building to the signal box, which is a million miles from the modern building originally proposed by outside architects and depicted on the glossy share issue brochure.

Link: http://www.bridgnorthstationplanb.co.uk/sketches.php

I think this design work is now in safer hands than it was before...hopefully.

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    To be fair to them the original proposers were following current planning dictats which have insisted that the additions are in a style which in 1000 years an archologist would not confuse with the original. See any of the old building restoration progs on TV. A clasic example of despoilation IMHO is St Pancras. The modern train shed is a carbuncle on an old friend. As I told one of the architecs of the original Bridgnorthplans "You and the planners are talking protencious intelectual B------t. Hopefully the planners now understand the strengt of feeling of the membership

3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

http://forum.svra.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1098&start=345

Whilst I considered unapproving both posts the above should link to the SVR forum, and this is what I believe Lingus is alluding to . Since the poster and those involved are easily identifiable it perhaps a shame the posting on here was couched in such vague terms

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator