If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Spring Gala 23-25 March 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by D1039, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Traffic Notices and WTTs

The document you're after is "Spring Gala Working Timetable".

2. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

A long day, that (even without a drive home!) but well worth it. Three highlights: unsurprisingly Bittern was the first; an unutterably beautiful engine in this guise, and one I wish could stay: a) at the SVR for (much) longer; and b) in this particular livery. Secondly, the hugely welcome surprise of seeing 828 out and about with the Jinty in the afternoon. And on the home (locos) front, a really enjoyable run behind 42968 in the early evening. The timetable never slipped by more than 10-15 minutes, too. Plenty of people -- no actual overcrowding, but very decent for a Friday -- which suggests that (especially given the continuing excellent weather forecast) the weekend could be very busy indeed. I'd certainly say it'd be worth it, though.

3. zep108

zep108 Member

logistics
  4. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Superb collection of pictures, Bittern with the Teak set is outstanding.

5. D1039

D1039 Guest

IIRC your first gala, David? Very glad you enjoyed it so much.

Patrick

6. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

So glad we called in at lunchtime on the way home from WSR Gala to Yorkshire, enjoyed it so much we stayed until 7.30pm.
    Always appreciate the beauty of this line and the collection of Loco's was brillaint.
    Thanks to all concerned

7. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

Not quite -- I was there in the autumn, I'll admit mostly to see Tornado but in the event being blown away by 828, like quite a few people I should think. But this was my first spring gala, and the first time I'd been on an SVR train after dark since... oh, probably the days when my parents took me (I grew up in Wolverhampton and Kidderminster) on the Santa Specials, which were so long ago now that they started at Bewdley and you could just turn up on the day.

I was unsure about going to that first gala, as I fall into that odd class between the "I like a day out on a steam train" crowd and, well, most people on this forum. It's not my number one interest, but it's more than just a very casual one. For (mostly) health reasons I can't usually commit to these things until the day itself, so I really did get up that morning still to make my final decision. If it had been pouring with rain, in all honesty I might have decided against it -- again unlike, I suspect, many people here!

Anyway, getting back to the current gala: I think if one thing links the two galas for me it's "variety". If the SVR were the sort of line that only ever ran GWR tanks, however well turned out (and on yesterday's evidence they certainly would be), I'm not sure I'd be quite so likely to attend. But when you can stand at Arley and see an A4 passing a Jinty, I do like that sort of thing a lot. Finally, I was too tired to write much last night, but I must take this opportunity to compliment the SVR staff for giving the whole place a very friendly and cheerful feel.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

A great set of pictures and superb shots of Bittern on the Teaks.

9. martyn63601

martyn63601 Member

Teacher
    Spent a thoroughly enjoyable day at Bewdley today and its a great pleasure to be a new generation to have seen a garter blue A4 on a set of teaks. If you are thinking of still wondering whether to go please do! Also pop into the earlstoke manor fund coach, as they have some great offers on the books, picked up a railway moods book on the P&DSR for £3, bargain!!!!

Also a little tanned from the day too, here is my best effort (low res).

Regards Martyn63601

IMG_4001steve.jpg

10. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Wow ... great day. Warm sunny weather brings out the best in people I think! SVR seemed packed with happy smiling customers and staff. Thoroughly enjoyed my day travelling and photting and meeting nice people at the lineside and on trains. The A4 looks stunning and I'm looking forward to the charter on Monday ... back for more tomorrow first though :)

Handful from today here;

Heritage Railways - JohnLeyland's Photos

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
  12. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

13. Darrel

Darrel New Member

An excellent day at the Valley today - many thanks to all involved in putting on a superb gala event!

Some pictures: SVR - a set on Flickr

14. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

The Caley out and the A4 on the Teaks just stunning, the rest were not bad either!, I wasn't too adventurous this time and stuck to Safari Curve, mindfull of making a quick getaway to the Lickey later in the day

My pics are at: Severn Valley Spring Steam Gala - a set on Flickr

15. HennersJames

HennersJames New Member

MPD Cleaner - Bewdley, SVR
  16. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Just want to quickly echo the comments on the forum about this gala, had a fantastic day on Friday, possibly the best steam gala I've attended!! Wasn't expecting the Caley to run so big thanks to all involved in the efforts made to repair the loco. Thanks also to the friendly shed staff at Bridgnorth for the info. Wow, this really was a fantastic day out.

17. moose4675

moose4675 New Member

Super day yesterday(Saturday), unfortunately soured by the ridiculous scheduling of the A4 at 1810hrs at Kidderminster where it changed coaches.
    Why it was ever removed from the Teak set in the first place I will never understand. Was it worth it just to run double headed apple green tanks on the Teak set from Bewdley to Kidderminster?
    Added to this was the fact that it took far longer to change 'Bittern' over to the Teak set than had been expected which made the delay even longer (Bittern suffering with injector problems I believe).
    There were no details of the loco detaching from its coaches on the timetables available!
    Numerous people were left stranded on a set of loco less coaches outside Kidderminster station as they watched their mainline connection train leaving Kidderminster with out them. (Why oh why could it not just have entered the platform to allow people off?)
    Unless you were fortunate enough to be in possession of a working timetable (which as far as I am aware were not freely available to purchase like for the Autumn Gala) then the coaching stock to be used on each train was not listed on either the web site printable timetable or timetable available on the day.
    As a result of this people were not aware that 'Bittern was not entering Kidderminster station and then returning to Bridgnorth with the same set of coaches at 1810hrs as was expected.
    The timetable due to the lack of stock detail gave all the impressions of a misprint! ('Bittern' train In at 1812 out at 1810!)
    It had been a great day which I thoroughly enjoyed as with all SVR gala's but I am sure numerous people on the 1639hrs Bridgnorth to Kidderminster will have gone home sorely disappointed by the timetable schedule for that train and the lack of information shown to passengers on the timetables available.
    I am sure knowing the SVR lessons will have been learnt from this for future timetables.
    A good event none the less.

18. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
  19. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

20. D1039

D1039 Guest

Welcome to the forum

The WTT was for this gala provided free of charge and downloadable. The move you mentioned, detaching locos from the incoming service and swapping, was raised as a feature (either here or on the SVRA foum, I can't remember which).

'Little Nobby', who writes the timetable, reads this forum so I'll let him pick up the other points you mention

Regards

Patrick