If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Severn Valley Spring Gala 23-25 March 2012

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by D1039, Oct 24, 2011.

1. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

I was there on Friday, but the timetabling was very similar, so I can understand that. From a purely selfish point of view, I'd prefer every train to stop at every station, as I think was the case in the autumn. I don't particularly enjoy sitting just short of a station for several minutes, then rolling through at walking pace -- apart from anything else, you lose that lovely little lurch in your stomach that always accompanies the very first realisation of departure from a crowded station platform. (Or maybe that's just me!) So it didn't add much to my enjoyment of the day... but of course that's not to say that it didn't add something to other people's, or perhaps make certain pieces of timetabling practical that wouldn't otherwise be.

On another note, as a sort of postscript to the gala, I happened (purely by chance) to see Bittern going over Bewdley viaduct with the photo charter earlier on this afternoon. I'd imagine those who bought places on this train will be absolutely delighted at their decision, since despite the low angle I was watching frrom, it made an absolutely sensational sight in the glorious sunshine. I've seen a lot of trains go over that viaduct, but this was one of the finest. Garter blue actually goes remarkably well with the warm orange of sun-baked sandstone... let's hope we see that combination here again someday.

Edited to add: Having posted this the first time before Tom Clarke made his post, I see that the reason for the non-stopping trains has now been given, so thank you for that. And thank you too for all your hard work in making this such a hugely enjoyable event -- I hope you'll now get some well-earned rest! (That goes for everyone, of course.)

2. RASDV

RASDV Member

Fantastic videos and photos have been posted - watching them has been almost as good as going myself, something I very much regret not being able to do. Duncan, the colours in your photos are superb, I especially liked the photo of 4566 in the darkness and Bittern at Northwood Lane. Thanks to everyone who has posted photos and videos on here - I have enjoyed all of them - it is much appreciated. Still, looking forward to the Autumn gala - every gala on the SVR seems to get better and better - I'm sure there were comments that the Autumn gala last year was the best they'd ever been to - now it seems this is the 'best ever'!

3. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Out of interest, which turns did 828 work in the end? Sadly I wasn't able to make it to the gala - very disappointed to have missed 828 twice! :-(

4. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was on the 5 LMS coaches...I think labelled TBC 1 on the timetable

[​IMG]
    828 by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

Lewis

5. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Yep, Lewis is right, the Caley worked the TBC_1 diagram, which was it's originally intended diagram. She looked brilliant too, and sounded fantastic up eardington at lunchtime on sunday. What a way to start a cleaning turn that was!

Glad to see to many, generally, positive tales from the weekend. From Tom writing the timetable to the guards, footplate crew and station staff and even down to us humble cleaners, it was a great effort from everyone at the SVR. Lets hope we can continue to impress you all for the rest of the year (and especially at the autumn gala!)

6. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
  7. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

[youtube]HmXLyuJbhW4[/youtube]
    [youtube]mnzAio_lN2w[/youtube]

My videos from Friday and Sunday

8. Funnell

Funnell New Member

Pullman Steward
    I wasn't at the gala, but from the reports i've read on here and the photo's and video's it looked like i should have been!! 4464 on the teak set looks fantastic, i may well have to travel up from Sussex for the September gala now...a very well done to the Severn Valley railway for putting on quite a show.

9. 50850-27C

50850-27C New Member

I was there on Saturday and Sunday, used the trains both days, but spent more time photo taking and walking. Apart from the delays on Sunday it was a great event, and I'd like to say a big thank you to all who contributed to make it so. A rake of eight teak coaches was very impressive especially with a garter blue A4 on the front. The star of the show, for me if nobody else, was Caley 828, t looked simply stunning in the sunshine

10. 33056

33056 Member

Professional "basher"
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry, but another one here who did not think too much of the timetable. I could only attend for a comparatively brief time (6 hours) on the Sunday but would have liked the chance to ride behind more of the locos than I did manage, which I think could have been possible if more trains stopped at all stations. Perhaps it is a “bashing” thing but I much preferred the timetables of past galas with trains going throughout the line every 45 minutes or so which made it a lot easier to hop on and off at will and to sample as many locos or visit as many stations as one pleases.

I might be wrong, but it also appeared that the timetable did not have much “slack” in it; I realise that the problems with the fog first thing didn’t help but the first train I travelled on started 20 minutes late and my last one arrived at Kidderminster nearly 40 late so the timings did drift a bit. Whilst I can understand the need to “do something different”, galas are best kept as simple as possible IMO.

Having said that I did enjoy the visit and managed to get a ride behind the two locos I particularly came for (828 and 69023) and even got a couple of reasonable pictures which was a bonus as I didn’t come for photography purposes.

11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Just got back from a cracking day on the SVR

What was really disheartening to note was the feedback from a farmer regarding access to his fields

So called enthusiasts had left gates opened allowing livestock to escape , been openly rude when responding to a polite request for a donation and simply not asked for permission to be there

The fields are at Severn Lodge . The Farmers are quite happy to allow people access if asked and a donation is made to the air ambulance and this weeks charters will raise a good sum to this worthwhile cause

12. Macko

Macko Member

13. Reformed Sniper

Reformed Sniper New Member

Macko

That bird is a Buzzard and a wonderful shot it is too.

14. brit70000

brit70000 Member

I understand a Bittern was also spotted down the Valley?!

15. Macko

Macko Member

Ah thanks for that bird recognition is not my thing, there appeared to be at least two nests in the area and 3 were circling constantly for nearly an hour, it was a glorious afternoon. I thought I saw a Mallard, easily confused with a Bittern :)

16. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

On which note (sort of) there's some talk on the SVR Forum about whether Bittern might stay at the railway long enough to operate over Easter. Absolutely no official word, I must stress -- and obviously these things always depend on the wishes of the owners, steaming fees and much else besides -- but I'm sure there'd be plenty of interest if it did happen. (Amazingly, it seems that the MHR ran Bittern with a face as "Spencer" during a Thomas event a few years ago, but I really can't see the SVR following suit for its own Thomas event this coming weekend!)

17. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Words fail me with regard to these people, a bit of goodwill and a quid or two is a small price to pay in my opinion, I nearly ended up having a punch up in field just west of Glyn (Llangollen) a few years ago because earlier in the day some 'photter' had upset the farmer/fisherman/whatever and on his return through the field I had the misfortune to get a mouthfull off the imbecile as being unfortunate enough to be the first photter he saw, didn't seem to matter to the said knuckledragger i wasn't there earlier in the day.

18. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

No I do not currently volunteer
  19. David Buttery

David Buttery New Member

Bad form to reply to one's own post, I know... but sadly it seems (again from the SVR Forum) that this isn't going to happen, and that 4464 won't be in service again before leaving the SVR. Oh well, it was always a long shot

20. E-G Media

E-G Media New Member

Student, Freelance TV Presenter