If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Shed Scenes.

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by kieranhardy, May 3, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    Must say it looks very good from the few pictures you have already posted!

Alex

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Have you cleaned up the paintwork on 1247? I have the same model and the white is not as profound

3. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    [​IMG]

OK, the wall might be warped but it's under construction! You get the idea! This is on my Dad's layout, and you can only come on shed using the disposing road! So it tends to operate like a proper railway, and will be in the finish! Using DCC and Code 75! It'll have all your standard BR shed features and is set in the in the north during the era while it was all changing to grizzly diesels! With a big long train of 21 ton hoppers

4. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Hi Kieran. I am a fan of the editing stuart699 of the smoke effects, just thought it was real. As I said a fab job and certainly looks the part portraying diffent parts of a uk shed scene! =D>

5. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Wish i had a decent layout like the ones we see here, I just don't really have any room!

Also very very very jealous of keriens model collection.

6. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re:

Nope, but it hasnt been out for absolutely ages, tbh i totally forgot that it was in the collection!

7. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

I know this really isnt about the fantastic shed shots that this topic is about but its close.
    Me and my dad have just RE started the layout completely dismantling our previous effort as it had become "stale"

Having seen the model of Workington shed in the mags and pics on the web, I was wondering has anybody got any shots of Stewarts lane shed? As we have a completely SECR/ SR/ BR layout Stew lane is a perfect shed for this??

8. 34007

How about trying Nine-Elms? \:D/

9. i can find only one fault that is the locos are too clean but its a set of fantastic photos

10. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Student (Civil Engineering) P-Way Engineer on Lond
    Nine Elms was an ex-LSWR shed, not SECR.

I assume you want some steam era shots of Stewarts Lane... afraid I can only offer current shots of some of the depot.

However...
    Hawkins, Chris & Reeve, George; 'An Historical Survey of Southern Sheds', Oxford Publishing; has pp81-83 on Stewarts Lane. One page is a 1939 map, the next is a 1901 picture of the shed with early coaling stage in view, and the third page has some blurb on the shed and a couple of shots in 1961 and SR era.

Griffiths, Roger; 'SOUTHERN SHEDS in CAMERA', OPC; has pp136-139 on Stew Lane. Photographs are from the ages: c1900, 1930s, 1955, end of steam.

Hope that is of help - they are both very good books to read, I managed to get mine quite reasonable off ebay!

11. southernman

Youre all stars thank you very much.
    Nine Elms is quite rightly LSWR and would make a fabulous layout just the shed and goods yards in itself.

12. 34007

Thankyou very much! Looks the part indeed! Again well done! Making me think towards my next project! (Once we move of course!)

13. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

If anyone were to do Nine Elms MPD and goods yard on one layout, they would also need to model an electrified 8 track mainline (which means ANYTHING {including ECS} in and out of Waterloo would have run along it) since the MPD and goods yards were on different sides of the SW Mainline. Just putting things into perspective! But wouldn't it be AMAZING!!!!

I have heard something in the past that there was at some point a tramway that extended out from the goods yard across Nine Elms Lane to a quayside. Quite feasible, but I cannot say whether I had read fact or speculation.

14. southernman

it would be a HUGE layout in 00.
    It would still be pretty expansive in N, N gauge would be the best for any layout like that.
    How about modelling it early 60s?? Like Basingstoke?? (in my eyes the best N gauge layout out there)

15. 34007

But wouldn't it be good if it was just the MPD and the turntable in either 00 or N? with the Turntable there and maybe the back scenes from the turntable. Lovely sight. Only needs to be 8 roads surely to predict what it was like! The hustle and bustle of the yard. \:D/

16. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Indeed, to depict the hustle and bustle you only require a few shed roads, the turntable, ash pits and coaling roads.

Wouldn't it be nice? All those named trains - Bournemouth Belle, Devon Belle (while it ran), ACE, all the liners that ran, .... *drools*

And now the SWML is mostly run by imported German desiros which sound much like what I'd expect a gay-darleck to sound like!

17. kieranhardy

Took some new shots with something a bit different...

"A war has been announced so the railways have been called into action, 2 Jinties and a Dock shunter have been repainted to special War time liveries plus several items of Rolling stock have been brought in."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    Wow awesome shots keiren like the last wagon in particular. Did you repaint all this stock then or was some of it already like it?

19. jonwright87

jonwright87 Member

Now how well do I know my locos... the last wagon is built on the bogies/sole bar of a 31? Pretty cool anyway!

20. kieranhardy

Hehe cheers, I didnt paint them, was an auction on ebay for the whole camo set, and i forced dad to get them O:)

And yup, I think the last wagon was built on the bogies of a diesel (possibly the 31)