If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sheffield Industry and Railways......

Discussion in 'Photography' started by osprey, Feb 15, 2013.

1. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    A very close friend of mine passed away a while back and his youngest son has shown me two suitcase loads of photos on the above subject. They were taken by a an earlier family member who was an industrial photographer and the photos were for use in literature, et al for the many industies in Sheffield in the 1920's, 30's. Fortunately, he does not want to part with them which I'm pleased about, but they will eventually finish up in Australia where he his making his life. I'm sure he would agree to having them copied, however for the life in me I can't think of where they could be made best use of so the public could see them, and also whether they should be protected with some form of "copyright" or even held in a trust. A professional photographer has seen some of them as he has had some copied to take to Australia. The photographer was absolutely gobsmacked on seeing them as to quality and condition, and of course social history. Any ideas anybody? would be most appreciated

2. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A couple of places spring to mind. Firstly the City Archives, Archives@sheffield.gov.uk where I donated some of my late Uncle's steel company records,

and secondly a Council website Picture Sheffield quote "Material can be donated, in which case the originals will be copied and then placed in protective storage. Material can also be lent for copying and the originals safely returned to you." Picture sheffield

I don't know if the two are connected, but a couple of emails should soon sort that out.

Good luck, hope this helps and look fwd to browsing the images one day.

Iain

3. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Iain
    Many thanks for that I would'nt have known where to look. They are truly outstanding things....I sat down for half an hour looking through them and literaly scraped the surface...bit like Howard Carter and Tutankhamen......I'm sure there are some absolute gems among them, and you being a Sheffield chap I'm sure you'd find them fascinating.

Regards

Richard.

4. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    I'll second that the two places in Sheffield I would contact if I had such material. Let us know how you get on.

Brian