If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Should Broadway's Box have Plastic windows?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by davidarnold, Jan 24, 2014.

1. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

In a recent post the Broadway Station the webmaster revealed his disquiet that UPVC windows were being considered for the newbuild Signal Box.

http://broadwaygwsr.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/the-broadway-signal-box.html

In my view it would undermine all the efforts of the workers there who are heroically toiling in all weathers to create the perfect GWR station from scratch. If the Directors need to see what can be achieved using original materials they need look no farther than the award winning signal box at Corfe Castle.

michaelh likes this.
  2. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A false economy in my view. Plastic windows not only look unfortunate but wear out after 20 years and will need replacement. Wooden ones should last for 100+ years if looked after. I can't believe the GWSR doesn't have enough volunteers to repaint windows every four or five years. They wouldn't put a GRP cab on 35006!

3. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Unfortunately the GWSR has form on this subject - have you seen the Trumpton signal-box they built at Cheltenham Racecourse?

4. D1039

D1039 Guest

My daughter, who works in the double glazing industry says:

"I agree with you in that if you want a perfect replica GWR station, then painted timber frames are the best way to go. In the industry, companies don't even give life expectancies for timber frames, because with developments in technology they don't even know how long they will last - it'll be decades if not centuries! Dempsey Dyer is very highly regarded for their timber frames.

As for uPVC, you're right in terms of life expectancy, but at least they will be maintenance free. They also don't have to look tacky. Instead of the bulky frames you'd expect, some companies are producing uPVC sash windows that look exactly like their Georgian timber counterparts. Roseview just won an industry award for this new timber-effect product.

One option that could be useful here is aluminium windows, that look similar to old steel/critall frames. To me, these are the best of both worlds. Aluminium used to get a bad rap for being thermally inefficient, but nowadays they include thermal breaking technology which means they are just as insulating as uPVC for example, and the frames are slimmer. They also last for decades or longer, and are a better investment than uPVC. You can even get slimline double glazing which looks to the untrained eye like single glazing. There are some frames which I think look similar to the windows you're looking for. Clearway Doors and Windows are a Cheltenham-based company mainly dealing in aluminium frames, which have some good contenders.

Personally I think that if you've managed to keep everything else at the station as close as possible to their original counterparts, then I'd strongly suggest timber frames. If it's the maintenance they're worried about, aliminium windows would be a good solution. If it's the price tag, then at least with product like the "Heritage Rose" uPVC collection or similar, all might not be lost.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions just let my Dad know".

Patrick

Sheff likes this.
  5. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

And again at Gotherington

michaelh likes this.
  6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

When Network rail did Shirley Signal Box they at least fitted upvc with 3+2 GWR pattern windows so it didn't look too bad . at the risk of showing demetia for posting this before Shirley SB would have been ideal for Broadway (as would Henley station building)

7. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

Don't call me Shirley

8. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

And BR tried GRP coaches but it didn't catch on. At the end of the day its authentic or its Disneyland.

michaelh likes this.
  9. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Is that the Mk1 suburban that run on the Hayling Island branch?
    I think it is still preserved somewhere.

10. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  11. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

12. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer

East Somerset last time I heard.

Steven

13. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I think if they "look right" then uPVC would be ok, eg with the configuration the GWR had as sidmouth mentioned. There's plenty of time to cogitate yet, there's only a few courses done so far! perhaps when it gets to it a sponser a frame appeal could be had or something similar, just a small thing similar to the money they are looking for to erect a signal bracket currently, which will be brilliant if enough is raised!

14. 17B

17B New Member

I appreciate it's easy to criticise from a far when your not at the sharp end, and that the upvc has cost/maintenance advantages. But I think the two new signal boxes on the GWSR look awful, and I would really hope they don't go down the same route again.
    Admittedly some upvc profiles are better than others, but they just can't replicate the fine profiles of a timber window.
    However I don't think the upvc is the worse offender here, or on the new waiting room at Cheltenham racecourse. It's the fake building stone all 3 are built from, it just doesn't look right. I assume the planners insisted on stone as it's in the Cotswolds and it was used as it's cheaper than real stone, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

michaelh likes this.
  15. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    There is precident on the main network for UPVC. It was used in the Stockport area as replacement glazing on a number of signal boxes. It didnt really look right but did look clleasn amd functional

16. michaelh

Stockport is not a heritage railway

17. michaelh

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks they look awful. I am a shareholder in the GWSR since the very first share issue, but those two signal boxes have stopped me buying any more.

18. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

I've never liked them that much but it doesn't stop me supporting them, it's only a small thing in the grand scheme of things, there has to be an element of practicality, in this case, I presume cost.

the fact that Broadway has a specific prototype I hope will help, I'm not aware that the other two had a particular working prototype, although correct me if I'm wrong.

19. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Actually it is not as you put it "a small thing in the scheme of things" but goes to the heart of what the heritage railway movement is about.

That is preserving our Railway Heritage , including the built environment as it was, so that future generations might learn about the past.
    In future are these generations to marvel at how clever it was of the GWR to invent plastic double glazed windows years ahead of everyone else?

Jamessquared, Breva and michaelh like this.
  20. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

That's not really an excuse for putting up a "generic" building though.

I'm not a major GWR expert by any means. But I assume that, like many other railway companies, they built signal boxes to one of a number of more or less standard designs, just varying in matters such as size etc. Moreover, it was generally common that when lines were built, significant railway buildings such as signal boxes, station buildings, goods sheds etc tended to follow a standardised pattern along the line.

Given that, the architectural style for a given line should be known, and it would be part of what gives a particular line its character. So even if stations such as Cheltenham Racecourse are entirely new build, it should be possible to design buildings that match the vernacular architecture of the rest of the line.

For a "how to" guide, look at the Swanage Railway new-build signal boxes, or the Isle of Wight Steam Railway station at Wooton...

Tom

gwalkeriow and michaelh like this.