If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Signed Book, OS Nock/PWB Semmens

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by stevepurves, Jun 15, 2011.

1. stevepurves

stevepurves New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I have a copy of 'Four Thousand Miles on the Footplate' By O S Nock, it is a first edition (which I believe is rare from a quick google search) but I could not find a signed copy, to guide me with a valuation.
    Its signed on the Title page by OS Nock and also on the opening page by PWB Semmens (with 'sticky' nameplate picture and address stamp)
    Any ideas? the book is in excellent condition although the dust jacket is missing
    Cheers

2. stevepurves

stevepurves New Member

Photo on 2011-06-15 at 12.48.jpg Photo on 2011-06-15 at 12.49.jpg
    I don't know why they have been mirrored but you can see the 2 signatures, the date on P Semmens signature is 9/2/53

3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The collection of the late Peter Semmens did come on the market a year or two ago, so I suspect this might be from his collection. One time NRM Curator if I recall correctly, and an author in his own right.
    I dont think the book ever had a dust cover,( should be a yellowish/cream binding)-- it dates from post-war austerity days. I was bought a copy of this book from the (presumed) WH Smith stall on Doncaster station in circa 1953, a copy I treasure today.

Edit/update: Most copies of this book are sold on the popular secondhand websites as having no dust jacket, but I did find just one bookseller offering it "with" a dust jacket. Maybe there was a smaller run of the book with a dust jacket.
    Being a signed copy I suspect it has a reasonable value, particularly with both Nock and Semmens' signature. The basic book can be bought for just a few pounds on the internet, but the signatures will add some value undoubtedly.

4. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Glad to see my dad's books are finding good homes.

He was "Assistant Keeper" at the NRM when it opened in 1975. He wrote over 30 books on the GWR, Channel Tunnel and other railway subjects, and wrote the Railway Magazine's "Practice & Performance" article for 20 years, which he took over from O S Nock. He never went anywhere by rail without his stopwatch and recording sheets.

Richard Semmens

5. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Richard: Your father was indeed a respected author. I regret I have but two of his books in my collection: "Bill Hoole Engineman Extraordinary" and "Stockton & Darlington, 150 Years of British Railways".
    Thanks for sharing the information.

Regards

6. stevepurves

stevepurves New Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I was looking at thinning my collection down a little... I have a new 5" gauge toy on the horizon! Don't know whether to sell now or not!
    Cheers
    Steve