If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sir Keith Park

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by shedbasher, Jun 29, 2012.

1. D1039

D1039 Guest

The news we've been waiting for about 34053 Sir Keith Park

34053 will make its Solo Passenger debut tomorrow. The 10:55am and 14:55pm departures from Bridgnorth will feature 34053

34053 also to feature on Sunday's CN1 diagram, 11:10am & 14:55pm departures ex BN, and BN1 diagram for remainder of week

‏@svrengineering

Patrick

2. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Changing day of visit to sunday then.

3. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    34053 was also turned this afternoon, so she is now facing South

Thanks,
    Lewis

4. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

With 34053 now settling down in regular service on the Severn Valley, it is perhaps time to reflect on just what a huge task faced Southern Locomotives Ltd when they took on the restoration of what was a cannibalised hulk. The story is well told on the excellent SLL website here: 34053 Sir Keith Park | Restoration

I think we can all agree, a job very well done.

By coincidence I have come across a book that has a cover image of 34053, about to depart Waterloo for Bournemouth, with steam leaking from the steam chests and other places, and looking pretty run down before its withdrawal in 1965.

The book is one of the "Steam Past" series, "Man of the Southern: Jim Evans Looks Back". George Allen & Unwin 1980.

5. b.oldford

b.oldford Member

Thank you for sharing that.

6. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    It just goes to show that if you are willing and able to throw money at it (in my case a trifling £250 in the £8-900k scheme of things as regards 34053), you can achieve just about anything. As mentioned in a previous thread, has anyone noticed the "Sold Mr. Woodham" 'graffiti' one the L-H slidebar? If original, it is presumably where the metalwork beneath the daubing was protected from the salt air at Barry, leaving the wording visible in the metal. In a way, it makes you think a bit more about where it came from, and the amount of work needed to get it where it is. Brilliant stuff.

7. nickt

nickt Member

Thanks 46118, B Oldfield and Bulleid Pacific for your kind comments. Yes, Sir Keith Park does look fabulous, and makes it all worth while. We're getting into our stride with the overhaul of 34072 257 Squadron, which will cost a lot less than the restoration of Sir Keith Park, but it's still money we don't have. BTW, this Thursday and Friday SLL shareholders will be having their annual Drive & Firing days at Swanage with Eddystone.....what better time to be part of it? Southern Locomotives Ltd | Shareholders Scheme

Welcome to Facebook

8. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Probably better to be part of it after Thursday's driver ex; then you won't have to put up with my ugly mug on Eddystone! ;-)

9. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I'm on Eddystone on Thursday afternoon. If nobody's looking I might make a dash for Bournemouth and Waterloo with it!!
    Is Manston working the service trains do we know?

Cheers,

Paul

10. Rumpole

Tea-Maker
    Manston on service trains today, tomorrow and over the weekend. The service train on Friday is a DMU.

11. MrHillingdon

Sounds good to me!
    Thanks Nick, I'll look out for you this time, now I know who I'm looking for. Be warned!!

Cheers,

Paul

12. nickt

nickt Member

Well you found me, but only one of us had time to sample the observation car!

Some photos of the Happy Campers here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/2012DrivingFiring#

and some new photos of the down-trodden volunteers starting here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/Restoration2012#5796124452557603378

13. D1039

D1039 Guest

Just a reminder 34053 'Sir Keith Park' will be running as part of a 5-train full steam service for the SVR Members' & Shareholders' Day next Sat/Sun with visiting 'Greyhound' 30120 & 1501, 2857 & 42968. Open to all, normal fares apply

(It coincides with the launch of the 2012 share offer. You can talk to teams at Kidderminster and Bridgnorth stations about the plans and becoming both a member and shareholder of the Severn Valley Railway Severn Valley Railway - Latest News)

Patrick

14. MrHillingdon

I sure found you Nick!
    Thanks once again for helping to make it a great day for me and many others.

Regards,

Paul

15. Rumpole

Tea-Maker
    It was a good couple of days, even with the squealing pig in the front end of '28! Well done to all involved.

16. nickt

nickt Member

I consulted some of the old hands and it's believed to be original. The paint was cleaned off at some point but either a trace remains or it protected the underlying metal from other corrosion. It can be seen here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/SKPAtSVR#5797193419696147010

17. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Had a great day with 34053 yesterday. Pity about the naff weather but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves and some useful funds were raised at the end of the day.

18. D1039

D1039 Guest

http://www.svr.co.uk/images/pr/SVR head to head time trial.pdf
    Press release October 5, 2012 - For immediate release
    Iconic names go head to head in charity challenge
    TWO of Worcestershire’s most iconic names – Severn Valley Railway and Morgan Motor Company – will go head to head later this month in a thrilling time trial to raise charity cash.
    A steam train will take on a Morgan 3 Wheeler over 16 miles from Bridgnorth to Kidderminster on Friday, October 26, starting at midday.
    Going loco on the footplate of Sir Keith Park will be Sky Sports presenter Vicky Gomersall while Coronation Street actor Tony Hirst, who plays fireman Paul Kershaw, is the man hitting the road. Both will have intensive training in their respective vehicles before the big day.
    All proceeds from the sponsored event will go to the BBC Children in Need appeal.
    Event organiser John Leftwich, of Severn Valley Railway Charitable Trust Ltd, said: “A time trial between a 130 ton steam locomotive and 500kg car sounds unfair but the steam train is restricted to 25mph on the track and the Morgan 3 Wheeler has more obstacles to contend with.
    “The train will be pulling a set of eight carriages, weighing a further 240 tons, carrying customers and a Children in Need coach with children from Edward’s Trust in Birmingham and Pudsey Bear.
    “Each driver will have to collect traditional railway tokens along the route which will involve the Morgan team jumping out at Highley and Arley stations and running over a bridge.”
    Mr Leftwich added: “We hope that as many local people as possible will turn out to support both our drivers along the route. Through ticket sales and collections, we’re hoping to raise £10,000 for this excellent charity.”
    Dummy runs have already been held with almost identical times for the train and car so it should be a close run thing. The drivers are expected to arrive at Kidderminster at 12.45pm.
    The winner, who will receive a special trophy, will be the first person to hand their tokens to the station master under the station clock.
    Mr Hirst and Ms Gomersall will also attend the charity screening of the latest James Bond film, Skyfall, at the Odeon Cinema, Worcester on Thursday, October 25 as guests of Severn Valley Railway.

Patrick

19. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

20. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener