If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sittingbourne and Kemsley Light Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynbarn, Aug 22, 2008.

1. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where?
    East Kent hope?

2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

S********h revival!!??

4. Maunsell man

Maunsell man Well-Known Member

Senior Finance Auditor
    To the gallows with him! :smt073

5. Bongoharry

Bongoharry Member

Why not take rgcorris' advice and stop the silly suggestions. Keep the S&K where it is full stop. If you have to start your own thread - I for one won't be reading it.

6. ipod

ipod Well-Known Member

That would be nice, and lets hope so... but sadly, it doesn't seem certain at the moment.

7. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Bongo. I agree, the place I am thinking of is a very "LAST RESORT" and that is why I am not saying anymore about it. The only place as far as I am concerned of the S&KLR is where it is, end of.

Anyway will you be there for the S&KLR gala weekend????

Regards

Lynbarn

8. 61624

Lighten up a little! Aren't you familiar with the concept of humour?

9. Bongoharry

Bongoharry Member

Maybe you could enlighten me as to what is funny in the SKLR looking at closure? Muppet.

10. 61624

There is a great British tradition of gallows humour. There's nothing funny about much of what goes on in the world, humour is one of the ways people deal with it. If jokes can be made about 9/11, the Tsunami etc. I don't think that the closure of an insignificant decrepit railway (which to be brutally honest we are talking about) is something to bget over serious about. As I said, lighten up!

To be serious, however, I hope that the SKLR does survive, its a rare example of an industrial railway almost doing what it was built for in its original location/setting but ,whether the railway survives or not, much of that authenticity will inevitably be lost and it will become another minor tourist attraction. If it struggles for volunteers and resources now one wonders how it will cope under altered circumstances. Perhaps it would be better to keep the collection intact in a more promising location.

11. Bongoharry

Bongoharry Member

Call me old fashioned but I have never joked about such things. Where do you draw the line - gas chambers?

See how funny it is by laughing 'you're closing' on the platform at the gala in a couple of weeks time. I reckon the reaction could make me smile.

12. 61624

I'll try one last time. The joke was the suggestion of S********h as an alternative home, not the suggestion that closure of the SKLR would be a good thing. I'm sure virtually everone else who read the post got that, so its probably a bit more likely that the muppet is you rather than me.

As I said last post, if you bothered to read it, I hope the SKLR does survive and goes on to thrive.

But at the end of the day, its only a railway, and if it closes the world will not cease to turn.

13. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    You won't win - Aspergers Syndrome is prevalant amongst fanatics. Below is an extract from wikepedia. You have so done it now. Comaprision with Nazis and concentration camps because have mocked the unmockable. Shame on you [-X

Point remains though rather muted. Suffers of anorak syndrome don't have a sense of humour so don't even attempt gallows humour. You will be compared to those who have comitted the worst crimes of mankind. All because you said something they disagreed with.

14. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

What you refer to there is a serious condition. Aspergers Syndrome

Bad form in joking about something Real people have to live with and deal with on an every day basis.

will you retract your [edit] Maunsell man?

15. I for once agree with glyn i have some symtoms of aspergers so i do ask you retract your statememt.

16. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    Sheeesh - some people are so touchy and have no sense of humour be it about preserved railways struggling to survive or a mental disorder disorder disorder. There are far worse things going on out there than a preserved railway having to move locations. Just think of all those ex Lehman Brothers Floor Traders and Investment Bankers that aren't going to get there huge bonuses this year and the downturn in champagne sales in the city. Maybe we should start a fund for them and get the champagne industry rolling again?

1-2-3-4

17. No we are not touchy maunsell man apologies are still warranted please

18. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    Sorry for what, the holocaust or global warming?

Have you put into the Merchant Banker champagne fund? If not, get your wallet out and don't be tight. There are people out there who cannot afford to fill their Porche's up and need our help. Its tragic, City branch Starbucks has been boarded up and Fois Grois is going uneaten due to this real human tragedy.

19. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi Jordon I don't think you are going to get an apology, so it would be best to leave it up to the moderators.

As for MM, I am sure someone else will have beaten me to it, but I like to think I have a catholic taste in humor, but there is a time and place for everything.

And this ain't either the time or the place to wind some people up MM with Aspergers Syndrome, even if in your own way you are trying to make light of the S&KLR situation.

Regards

Lynbarn

20. Maunsell man

Senior Finance Auditor
    Mr Rough Shunter - your signature suggests that you are rough, tough, plain talking and ready to mix it with the big boys in the lobby or mess room, but you appear to cry like a pussy (cat) at any comment you care to take umbrage too. Whenever someone mentions in jest an afflication in a playground sense you mysteriously seem to have some aspects of it lurking about you. I have noticed this response several times on different threads with different people. You are either the most unlucky person in the world or suffer from the aflication of hypochondria. Maybe you are in the wrong hobby mate. Can I suggest something abit more gentle like the WI or cat protection league?

Yes my edit of wikepedia was a little crass and schoolboy and I did it between meetings whilst at work as I had a spare minute. If you supposedly mix it with the big boys in the lobby, you will regularly hear worse and have worse pee taking directly pointed in your direction. Who do you whinge too then? If this is the yoof of today, then thank Jehovah I had my teenage years in the 80s. I survived being an articled trainee, hung over scaffolding upside down a few times and various other rights of passage both at work and on a preserved line and didn't go booing. Maybe backbones are now optional for the yoof.

Anyway - rant over, boo-hoo. I personally hope the SKLR does get a leg up and beats the odds. Its a bit different, and very worthy of a chance to thrive. The loco and rolling stock collection will mean practically nothing anywhere else than here. for all of Sittingbourne's decay and grot, the little line is a bit of colour that will be missed sorely if it goes.

As our Arab cousins say, insha'Allah. (If it is Gods will)