If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Slip Coaches

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by shedbasher, May 28, 2011.

1. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Are there any preserved slip coaches in the uk

2. markb846

markb846 New Member

I am fairly sure there are not. There was not a great requirement for slip coaches in the last years, as there were only two or three workings a day. All on the Western region.
    GWR coaches without gangways probably did not have a great life expectancy in the 1960's

3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Nice roof, was that to help with ID'ing the slip coach ?

Must have been confusing for passengers to have a ride in a rolling signal box ? :)

5. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I believe it is still there, but a few years ago it was said in SR that it was up for sale. A pet dream of mine is to found a trust and with HLF funding restore it to full Slip Coach operations, visiting various lines for galas etc but mainly living on my own railway (the SVR). I'm allowed to dream!

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  6. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    HSE would have kittens over the actual act of slipping but would be an interesting facet. guard_jamie, you may be onto something there.

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  7. Stuart666

Stuart666 New Member

Presumably HSE would allow it to run as a slip as long as it wasnt carrying passengers? If nothing else it would be a fascinating thing to watch in operation at a place like The Great Central.

Looked at it another way, WSR restored a Victorian GWR sleeper, which unless someone reruns the Night Riviera with heritage rolling stock probably isnt going to be very useful. OTOH, as an example of rolling stock from that period, its invaluable.

A nice find, I hope someone can do something with it.

8. guard_jamie

Signalman
    If a suitable safety case could be developed, and I think it could be, it would be a real piece of heritage to fill in an interesting story in our railway's history.

My thoughts on the safety case:

1) Audible warning. They had bells fitted, but a horn/pneumatic whistle would not be an unreasonable addition.
    2) Only fully qualified drivers could operate it. Furthermore, they would have to pass a test on operating the coach.
    3) Special bell codes in use from one 'box to the next to indicate/remind the signalman that a slip coach fitted train was approaching.
    4) Guards in place at any pedestrian or road crossings over which the slip coach would pass independently.
    5) Some form of signal from the local signalman to indicate that it was 'alright' to slip. This was done with special distant signals at Reading in the old days. A handsignalman in radio contact with the local signalman could suffice in this case.

9. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

How far different are rules on slip coaches to banking engines ?

10. gws1363

gws1363 New Member

Gents,

I think that it may be opportune to step in here to prevent this thread diverting too far into the realms of fantasy.

The Dean slip-coach body, currently still located at Buckfastleigh, was recovered from a private site near St Austell in the mid '90s by a small group including myself and David Rouse. Its historical importance, as the sole remaining slip carriage was identified at a very early stage, and the initial intention was that it be moved to Didcot for long-term storage. Unfortunately, this wasn't too be, and at the last minute a private individual stepped in and the move was made to Buckfastleigh. Subsequently ownership passed to another individual.

Nothing remains of any slipping equipment. Within the fabric of the body, however, it is possible to see the changes made to the floor of the guard's compartment, and the 'viewing' window in one end is still in place. The overall condition is reasonable, but there is no interior or, crucially, an underframe. The roof had been protected by an an external frame clad in asbestos tiles.

After being on the market for a considerable time, ownership passed earlier this year to Rail Holidays in Cornwall, where it will eventually become part of their self-catering holiday accomodation. See www.railholiday.co.uk for details, particularly the 'news' section. I must emphasise that this sale only took place after exhaustive enquiries were made of all potentially interested heritage organistions around the UK (with the thought of a possible HLF-funded project partly in mind); none were interested in purchasing it

Anyone who is, or has been, involved in the preservation of vintage stock in this country will realise that "you can't win them all", and that this is probably one of those cases. I do believe, however, that the project that Rail Holiday (who are developing an increasingly respected reputation in vintage carriage conservation) is undertaking is a good one, and that the vehicle will live on whilst its historical importance is still recognised.

11. guard_jamie

Signalman
    It is not something that I have done a great deal of research on, although a look through a '30s GWR/LNER rulebook should be enlightening.

12. guard_jamie

Signalman
    I am glad that it will fulfill a useful role for years to come, and from what I have seen the St. German's people are very careful with the surviving original material of their coaches.

However it is a great shame for the coach to not be restored in its own right in operable condition. I was aware that it had no underframe, but felt that HLF funding would cover a restoration. If they would not have been able to fund a new underframe as it is not original, I felt that interest in the enthusiast community and well run fund-raising efforts would fill the gap - and enable any required additional safety measures to be fitted without messing the original fabric of the coach around excessively. There is the expertise present these days for a new slip-underframe to be built - and maybe plans too, in Swindon or York.

Maybe in the future railholiday may sell - but that is supposition and not worth going into. If only the coach had been put up for sale a few years from now! I would no longer be an impoverished student and would be in a position to organise a trust to restore it to operating condition.

Ah well, I'll be checking my lottery numbers...

13. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
    Thanks gws1363. Thats answered all my questions wish I could have seen this in action or even been on the train at least its saved .