If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Small ejectors fitted to 56 and 66xx tanks

Discussion in 'Locomotive M.I.C.' started by blandford1969, Jun 7, 2013.

1. blandford1969

blandford1969 New Member

Afternoon all,

In my continuing research into the GW brake I am now looking at the small ejector the GW fitted. As you may know it is fitted on 1501 as that class was not fitted with a pump. They were also fitted on ex South Wales absorbed engines as there was not room to fit a pump.

The main reference on these brakes says that for shunting in yards the 56 and 66xx tanks are fitted with a small ejector. On all of those I have been on (not that many I have not come accross a small ejector) does anyone know if any of the preserved 56 or 66xx tanks are fitted with a small ejector? - My assumption is that they would not be since for todays operations they are on vacuum fitted passenger trains and therefore the small ejector would not be needed (unless you did not have a pump fitted)

Any help on this would really be appreciated

kind regards

Duncan

2. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Like you I have not seen one of these - but we need to remember that the only surviving loco of this type which is in ex service condition complete with fittings is 6697.
    All the others are ex Woodhams where all these fittings had been removed & weighed in long before the locos were acquired for prservation.
    It may also be the case that the GW/BR decide to dispense with the small ejector at some earlier time. Perhaps most BR(W) enginemen prefered the accustomed certainty of both rate of brake application and release being under their total control as on other std GW locos.

3. blandford1969

blandford1969 New Member

4. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Like you, I have only ever found the one reference to this 'shunting ejector' being fitted to the class; neither have I seen a photo of a 56/66xx cab with one fitted. As far as I know none of the surviving members of the class have one, though I've not personally seen 5643. At an earlier time we had considered fitting one to 6695 but we've never got around to it, its extra work and cost plus extra maintenance. 5619 was originally fitted with the incorrect type of drivers brake valve (combination valve but without the steam brake parts) but I believe this was changed to the standard single cone ejector at the last overhaul? Similarly 5637 was restored with a home made ejector (also ejector pipe running outside of the boiler) which, again, was replaced with the proper article at last overhaul.
    I suspect that they were originally fitted due to the probable need to make considerable use of the ejector when shunting, whereas other classes generally used for shunting were fitted with a steam brake (there was an experimental fitment of a steam brake to a 56/66xx apparently but again no real details have survived apart from a Swindon drawing). The single cone ejectors drink vast quantities of water when used constantly. Biggest issue with the GW brake system is actually driver familiarity/training.

gz3xzf likes this.