If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Smoke Deflectors

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by domeyhead, Oct 16, 2017.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Well-Known Member

Print Estimator/ Font of all knowledge (useful, or
    As an aside one read Mr Powells book recently in which he suggests the Rebuilt Scot / Jubilee / Patriot smoke deflectors were nice looking but not particularly effective - it doesn't take a genius to see why.

ragl and LMS2968 like this.
  2. LMS2968

LMS2968 Well-Known Member

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On the LMS the shape of the smoke deflectors mirrored that of the firebox: the Original Scots and Baby Scots had vertical firebox sides and the deflectors followed suit (after some experimentation with the top edge); the Pacifics had sloping firebox sides and so did the deflectors. The Scots and their sisters had the double bend to the firebox sides, and this was reflected in their smoke deflectors.

Smoke deflectors were not fitted on a whim but to answer a need. The Parallel boilered Scots in particular went through several experiments for smoke lifting before settling on the side deflectors actually fitted. The Big Lizzies, like their earlier sisters, didn't need them in single chimney form, but did so once the double chimneys were fitted.

As to the Big Lizzies' appearance with and without, it's all down to the individual, but it is true that their appearance was very much altered once they were added.

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  3. 30854

30854 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The Irish versions of the Maunsell moguls never received smoke deflectors. The only Irish locos I'm aware of which did were the GNRI VS class 4-4-0's (the later and unfortunately extinct 'simple' version of surviving V class compound No.85 'Merlin'), plus one solitary GSR '400' class 4-6-0 (No.409).

BFB wheels aside, I always think the rebuilt Bulleid pacifics, especially the MNs, look decidedly LMS-ish when shorn of their deflectors. Must be that humongous firebox!

andrewshimmin likes this.