If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Snowdonia Circular?

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Kingscross, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm thinking of going to Wales with the current Mrs Kingcross for the Easter weekend, and am only allowed one day on the trains. Is it possible to do a circular tour of Snowdonia (ie Welsh Highland/Ffestiniog/Conwy Valley/bus) in one day? And if so what's the cheapest way to do it?

2. voyager

voyager New Member

Suggest looking at www.nwrail.org.uk for suggestions re. ticketing and timings for north Wales circulars.

Enjoy the trip!

Mark

3. Learner

Learner New Member

Can't supply timings but it is certainly possible as I've done it myself (starting from Stafford I'm fact and still getting home at a reasonable hour). There is a fairly regular bus service from just outside Bangor station to Caernarvon which will complete the circuit. I would estimate that the circuit can be done in 7-8 hours.

Sent from my RM-846_eu_euro1_273 using Tapatalk

4. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Thanks for the tips chaps, looks like we have a plan for Easter Saturday:

Leave Porthmadog on the 1010 Ffestiniog train to Blaenau, arrive 1125

Leave Blaenau on the 1146 Arriva Trains Wales service down the Conwy Valley, change at Llandudno Junction, and arrive Bangor at 1315.

Take Arriva bus number 5 from Bangor at 1336, arrive Caernarfon 1405 & then have a wander round the Castle.

Then 1610 Welsh Highland train from Caernarfon, arrive Porthmadog 1825.

Looks like a good day out. I’ll buy one of those North Wales Day Rovers which give 50% off FR/WHR trains. Anyone know if you get a railcard discount on them?

5. voyager

voyager New Member

For the Rover see http://www.taith.gov.uk/travel-options/north-wales-rover/ to make sure that you choose the right Zones / only buy the Zones you need!

Enjoy the trip.

Mark

6. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

You only get 50% off WHR/FR fares with the all-zones rover. Think it still works out most cost-effective to buy one though, they're £18 provided there's a railcard discount, otherwise £27.

Therefore NW Rover (£18) + FR single (£7) + WHR single (£11.70) = £36.70 each for the day.
    Otherwise it's FR single (£14) + WHR single (£23.40) + National Rail (£15.20)+ bus (£5?) = £57.60. Not cheap!

7. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

You get discount on the all zones rover if i remember right. I've done it a couple of times from Shotton, so has to be done with the full ticket. I'm pretty sure the one with only a zone or 2 dont have discounts.

A brilliant day out though.