If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Devon Railway 40th Anniversary Gala 5th-13 April

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by tobes3803, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    For more details see: http://www.southdevonrailway.org/News-and-Press-Releases/Ruby_Celebrations.html

2. Ray Mason

Ray Mason Member

We used Mr Geet for a staff bash using OB/Devon Gen/RM /limo on a variety of "rail replacement" bashes with some of my colleages v much the worst for wear after a R Dart late night charter cruise,many wearing v little on a cold Nov evening!!!.Oh, a 38xx on the SDR to follow!!!!!!!!!!!Happy memories with a pic of all the staff+RM+Buckers stn--almost a private "gala"

Please support the gala+ also help sponsor a loco hire/movement if you feel motivated--just contact the GM !!!!!!!!

3. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    I'm just putting the final touches to the gala timetables - even if I say so myself, there is plenty of interest throughout the nine days.

Details will be released very shortly on the various SDR web sites etc, however we have decided to offer a limited number of auto driver experince courses. There will be four trips on the Saturday (4th), and then one each day Monday 6th through to Thursday 9th. Keep a look out for details of how to enjoy a rare chance to drive a 55xx worked auto train. The course will include driving the loco over the full line from Buckfastleigh to Totnes, and then driving from the trailer car over the full length of the line between Totnes and Buckfastleigh.

4. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Not long to go lines looking top knotch for it! =D>

5. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    32 page souvenir event guide now available from the main office and shop at Buckfastleigh. Just £2.50.

Working timetables etc will be on line within the next week.

Mk 1 buffet car now in works for repaint into Carmine and Cream livery, due to be followed by Collett No.6515, again being repainted into Carmine & Cream. This will allow a two coach 1950's branch train to operate formed of ex GWr stock (loco and coaches) but all in British Railways livery.

5786 next for paint, and also being turned prior to the event. Last chance to see it in G.W.R green on 21/22 March (1/2 price weekend)

6. ntarabbit

ntarabbit New Member

Can anyone say if the mk1 in carmine and cream thats next to the restuarant in buckfastleigh will be in use? I ask this as it seems to be blocked in (50002 under restoration in the shed oppsite the small museam).

Cheers,
    Dan

7. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    This looks to be shaping up to be a great gala, the idea of seeing a 2 coach 1950's BR(w) branch line train without a Mk1 in the formation sounds brilliant! has it been done before (excluding auto trailers)?
    Also will the carmine/cream hawksworth full brake be in the same rake at some point?
    I've unfortunately got other commitments, so wont be able to attend, but good luck to you guys!

8. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    No the coach will be staying where it is until after the gala, it will then be shunted out to have the second refurbished bogie fitted prior to returning to service. During the gala it will serve as extra seating alongside the refreshment rooms.

By the time of the gala there will be no fewer than 10 coaches in carmine and cream livery, although only 8 will be in use during the event.

D402 is still mobile and can soon be moved to gain access to the siding behind the shed.

9. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    The Hawksworth is not being used during this gala, but I expect at some point later in the season we will put it together with 6515 and 1645 to make a 3 car 1950's set of former GWR coaches. With a plain black 57xx and plain black 55xx on hand there will p-lenty of chance to recreate the 50's.

10. ntarabbit

ntarabbit New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can someone also tell me how long it is planned to have 5786 in black?

Dan

11. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Not fully sure, but I expect that as the loco has only one or it maybe two more seasons before a heavy general is due, it will run in black until then as the cost of repainting again just for a short period will not be cost effective.

12. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Wasn't 5786 overhauled in 2001 I'm not sure but can check!!

13. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Sounds about right, in which case 2010 would be its last year.

14. Collett Goods

Collett Goods New Member

5786 went into traffic in September 2001. I recall it in steam for the SDR plc share issue on 28th September 2001. Boiler certificate therefore runs from a little before then but if all is well with the engine it may be in service until mid 2011.

15. basher

basher Member

Musician
    Possibly a silly question, but will the loco roster and working timetable be available in advance of the gala, at all? More than happy to pay for it!

16. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Indeed it will. I expect it to be live by the end of the week. In fact I've been working on the final two days for the best part of today.

There is a 32 page souvenir guide available, this is now on sale at Buckfastleigh, and will be at Booking Offices throughout the gala, this will give all the details of the loco's and stock in use, plus a whole host of other bits and bobs. The working timetables will be available to download off the various websites very shortly, so there will be no charge for these. Copies for each day will also be available from the booking offices, and displayed at the three stations.

The work involved in planning such an event has been huge, but I am now very nearly at the point of completing everything. There will be auto and goods trains on each of the nine-days.

On the Friday prior to the gala (3rd) 3803 will be out and about on a private charter, whilst 5786 will debut in British Railways black (being repainted for the event) and share the days workings with 6695.

On the Saturday 5526 will also be working a number of auto driver experience runs, so there will be plenty of chances to photograph the black 55xx and single carmine and cream auto.

Sunday 5th sees 1369, 5786, 5542, and 6435 in steam. The Monday to Thursday it is three each day, including at least one of the visiting loco's each day. Friday sees the three 55xx and 6695 in steam, then on Saturday (11th) its 1369, 6435, 5542, 5552, 6695 and 3803. There will be a 20 wagon goods train in the morning and this will be worked in turn by 5552, 3803, 6695 and 6435.

On the Sunday and Monday all eight loco's will be in steam. The first move of the day at 07.55 from Buckfastleigh will see a convoy of 5 loco's set off up the line. On both days we will also be running double-headed goods trains.

There's a few other nice workings thrown in for good measure too.

Keep an eye on the websites for the WTT's later this week.

17. Collett Goods

Collett Goods New Member

I have seen the SDR a few times recently and can report:
    The flails have visited and given the lineside its annual trim. The advantage here is that by the April gala the foliage should still be thin/low so better visibility from and to the trains. Good for looking out and photos.
    A tamper from the Midland railway centre has been at work last week so both relaid sections (Hood Bridge and Buckfastleigh to Nursery Pool bridge over the Dart) will be back to line speed for the Gala. These two sections look particularly good for photo locations.
    I'm really looking forward to it.
    From a Devon resident could I advise potential visitors that Buckfastleigh is on the A38 Devon Expressway which is only about half an hour past the end of the M5 at Exeter.
    Also from Totnes Network Rail to Totnes SDR is only a 5 minute walk.

18. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I do think its a bit harsh to expect people to be able to find 2873 though even "enthusiasts" would have a job with whats left of it!!

19. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

20. lostprairie

lostprairie New Member

I for one will be there. This will be my (pause while I count up on fingers, then take shoes and socks off ...) well lets just say I've been to many SDR Galas!

They are always brilliant. The staff are always wonderful and the organisers a;ways strive to make the best use of loco/stock combinations to please those most challenging of customers - the ever knowledgable enthusiast!