If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

South Devon Railway 40th Anniversary Gala 5th-13 April

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by tobes3803, Feb 7, 2009.

1. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

http://www.southdevonrailway.org/News-a ... s.html#WTT Working timetbles at bottom of page =D>

2. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

The Monday link gives "404 not found" and the Tuesday link gives you the Monday WTT!
    I emailed the webmaster on Saturday about this, looks like it has not been sorted yet.

3. pannier6435

pannier6435 New Member

mine for sunday 5th came out fine

4. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
  5. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Have asked the webmasters to have a look at it - should be up and running properly soon.

6. Collett Goods

Collett Goods New Member

All links to the WTT now working.

7. KHARDS

KHARDS Well-Known Member

Train Planner
    This looks like a humdinger of a gala to me. I shall definately be trying to attend the second weekend from sat morn-mon evening. However, as a person of reasonably limited budget was wondering if anyone can suggest a campsite or cheap hostel within walking distance of the railway?

8. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I used to stay at Dartington Youth Hostel, but that was years ago when my sons were young and enjoyed hostelling. Try googling YHA and see if its still open. Its just off the main A road from South Brent to Totnes, was ideal for South Devon Railway.

Otherwise, I've noticed tents near the line as you come up to Buckfastleigh on the train, but don't know how you'd contact the operator.

John

9. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    I think the youth hostel has gone, I asked a friend of mine who frequents various ones whilst travelling to various railways and he said this one went quite a while ago

10. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

11. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    We have another gala committee meeting next Tuesday. I think I have identified an area djacent to Buckfastleigh Station that can be used to put up a limited number of tents for those who wish to camp out. I'll post more news by the middle of next week.

12. ernestgew

ernestgew Member

The 5 loco move on the Sunday and Monday looks good. Hopefully I'll get some turns behind a praire or 6695! Also looking forward to the 20 wagon goods trains. With the area we've cleared at Papermill Bridge then hopefully some good photo oportunities will come up! Also the brilliantly done new relay will give way for some very smart pictures - a nice 4575 with a good load before shut off after Stretchford, on the new ballast - lovely!!! \:D/

13. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Whilst at the SDR today I noticed 5786 and 3803 where in service, coincidently this will be the last time 5786 see's service before she is repainted as mentioned in that thread.

14. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

6435 is now on site meaning only 6695 to finish the jigsaw after here dutys at the wsr gala! As has been said earlier the pannier was driven into shed in steam and ganger himself took a sander to it whilst crew finished disposing!

15. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    Indeed I did. One side and the back of the bunker already rubbed down - the other side and top tommorrow and then its goodbye to the green and hello black !

16. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Did he have fun as he thought he would, and has he cracked open the paint tin yet!!
    As it happens I did put a picture of 6435 in the running shed which I took on my way offsite on my fotopic site.

17. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looking forward to the visit, especially the goods trains as we get to haul only one at WSR (next Thursday morning)!

18. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Yes theres quite a lot of variety with the goods trains with a GWR one a BR one and the good old 20 wagon one coming out to play again to, if I recall correctly the last time this was done it was hauled by 3803 on its first (or 2nd) gala appearance.

19. Ganger

Ganger Member

Railway Dogsbody
    There will be three basic sets.

A GWR / Private owner rake complete with Toad brake van, a British Railways era mixed goods, and the third, an engineers ballast train.

Great care has been taken to ensure maximum use of correct liveried locomotives on appropriate sets. On the Saturday (11th) all three sets combine to make a 20 wagon goods. This will be worked in turn by 5552 (Bishops Bridge to Totnes), 3803 (Totnes to Buckfastleigh), 6695 (Buckfastleigh to Totnes) and 6435 (Totnes to Bishops Bridge). Apart from 6435 all loco's on the big goods will face the right way round.

During the early part of the gala, the train formations may alter around a bit, this being up to the goods guard to marshall as he wants (and of course depending on time being available). It may be that some trips have 7 or 8 wagons, whilst others may be just a single wagon plus brake. This will help provide variety and also keep within the branch line image we have tried hard to represent.

As for the last big goods, this was in fact 17 wagons, and was hauled by 3803 in 2006 during its debut gala. A most enjoyable trip indeed (but I would say that as I had my hand on the regulator)

20. tobes3803

tobes3803 Member

Cant wait for 6435 on the 20 wagon freight i hear theyve rostored a top crew for that one too! 8-[