If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley and Eridge

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by tom92240, May 27, 2007.

1. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Right let's try and set this straight. The Spa Valley Railway IS a heritage railway operating trains for tourists and enthusiasts. If the local communities want to use the railway as a transport solution to get from A to B, they would have to do it in the times that we operate trains. As far as I know, running a commuter/public service has never been on the cards of the railway since the very early days when there were campaigns to save the line as it was. Now if the route was to be used as a for a public service operating 16 hours a day as Domeyhead says, it would have to be a completely separate organisation that isn't funded by the Spa Valley - basically a separate entity. This would have to meet with approval from the Spa Valley management and fit around our operations. Difficult but a possibility, but only at 25mph.

Anyway. As much as I am liking seeing the Spa Valley's topic at the top of the lists in this forum, I think it's for all the wrong reasons. It should be because we are doing something that's very special and unique in preservation. These are the things that people should be talking about and why we should be top of the discussions.

Can we please end the discussions of reopening the Uckfield to Lewes, and Tunbridge Wells to Eridge and get back on the subject of this exciting new extension being reopened.

2. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

What is the first engine to run into Eridge. I read somewhere that a deal had been signed with a certain someone, but I dont want to say incase it is supposed to be kept quiet

3. 68077

68077 New Member

Bus Driver (unfortunately)!
    A STEAM ENGINE - i hope thats narrowed it down a bit!!!
    how many preserved loco owners can get their locos closer to the mainline than we will without the need for AWS,TPWS,OTMR...... the list goes on, so any offers of locos are gladly invited :-D ;-) :-k

4. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

lol i know exactly which loco, I just didnt know if the Spa Valley wanted the info released at this time

5. James

James Part of the furniture

Well, since they haven't released it via their official news page, the answer is presumably "no"?

6. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

although it is in the quarter monthly Spa Valley Starter

7. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

But there is a difference between information circulated in an internal publication and submitted to the wider world

8. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

ok cheers guys, ill keep that info to myself for now, how is groombridge passing loop doing btw?

9. 68077

68077 New Member

the BV point is being assembled at TWW so missing pieces can be identified and sourced it is planned to install this over the winter period, work has concentrated recently on constructing the new post for the Ex Cuxton Bracket Signal, the bracket has been dismantled, repaired and put back together again and awaits fitting to the new post the hole has been dug for this signal and is awaiting the base to be cast from concrete. cable runners have been laid out to the down distant and home signals. work has ceased on the former Bichden Jcn frame until protection from the elements is supplied in the form of a roof and windows, of which are all in hand as we speak

10. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

Brilliant news that 68077 thanks. cant wait to see Groombridge signal box when finished

11. 68077

68077 New Member

if anything significant happens down there i normally put it on my fotopic site

http://www.75f.fotopic.net

feel free to have a look

12. Geo1450

Geo1450 New Member

ive had a few looks on there, a very good selection of photos. you have an eye for photography defo =D>

13. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Guys, no visiting engines have been confirmed for the opening as yet, despite what might be written in the Spa Valley starter. There have been discussions, but nothing is finalised and on paper yet. IMHO I'd like to see a Spa Valley based engine haul the first train into Eridge but maybe have a celebratory engine to haul the first train back out and through a banner?? That's just my opinion but we do need to catch the preservation world's eye and I think a "Big name" would do the job. Obviously you'd need to take the costs into account.

Anyway, Eridge station is currently undergoing meticulous restoration so that its returned to its Southern days. But we now need your help. Does anyone out there have any photos of Eridge in steam days that you might be able to let us have/borrow so that we really can return it to its former glory. We have already purchased some replica station signs which will be erected early next year.

Many thanks

Matt

14. 68077

68077 New Member

here some pictures of progress on the extension to eridge i think its only the bufferstops at the end of the SVR mainline left to install which requires a possesion on the uckfield line which is due imminently

15. James

James Part of the furniture

Resize the pictures before posting PLEASE ](*,)

16. steamybrian

steamybrian New Member

Retired
    The enlarged photos shown previously illustratessome of the following progress up to Friday 26th September-
    Trackwork
    Now completed except that buffers to be erected, within a few weeks, on former down line (now Spa Valley line) about 100 yards south of Eridge station.
    Forge Farm Crossing -between Eridge and Birchden Jn
    Work has started on the crossing keepers hut. Years of accumalated rubbish and undergrowth have been removed ,new felt roof has been installed, windows glazed (with polycarbonate sheeting), new door fitted, exterior walls repainted, etc.
    Station Nameboards
    New Southern Railway style green enamel nameboards have been made for Eridge also "SR target" boards for Tunbridge Wells West.

No trains yet! Some signalling work to be done, more lineside vegetation clearance then the paperwork to complete.

17. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Guys,

The bufferstops at the country end of Eridge are due to arrive and be installed in a night time possession sometime this week. This will pretty much conclude the trackwork required on the extension. We still need to undertake some signalling works and install a groundframe over the winter to operate the points at Eridge.

The final bits of paperwork are drawing to a conclusion and will hopefully be agreed and signed soon

On Spa Valley land, the new point for Groombridge station has been completed and will now be dismantled for transporting and fitting at Groombridge over the winter.

All I'm going to say is watch this space but THE ERIDGE EXTENSION IS HAPPENING!! As my fellow volunteer Stuart has said, we are planning a big event for the opening weekend and still have a few surprises up our sleeves!

Matt

18. 68077

68077 New Member

19. 68077

68077 New Member

I have put some pictures of the lineside clearance around FORGE FARM CROSSING that occured last week plans are to clear the area from the track right down to the fence line between Eridge and Birchden Jcn this has opened up views not seen for many years, that should keep all you photographers happy.

20. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member