If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Beer & Cider Festival

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by svr1317, Oct 18, 2012.

1. svr1317

svr1317 New Member

The Spa Valley Railway is holding its 2nd annual beer festival this weekend 19th to 21st October. Around 50 real ales and ciders are planned for 3 event bars along the line. For the Friday evening preview at Tunbridge Wells West there are no trains running, but the bar is open from 5pm. Then over the weekend bars are open 11am to 9pm on Saturday, and from 11am to 6.30pm Sunday. Saturday is a diesel running day featuring 33 063 & 37 254 on a high mileage turn 09:50 til 21:12. Sunday will feature a top and tail service with 37 254 and Jinty 47493 rostered. Standard fares apply all weekend which is a bargain especially on the Saturday. Timetable and Beer details now on the spa valley website New Page 1

2. Mike Corris

Mike Corris New Member

Went down with my missus, daughter (driving) and her partner. We all had a great time, good range of beer, not too crowded, good grub at Groomsbridge and on our to do list next year. It's only the second one so still finding their feet I guess. My advice would be to ditch the tokens (silly and confusing, though am sure there's a good reason. Also the range of beers on the train and at the other two stations could be extended with details as to what is where if possible. But as I said a great event and one which is well worth supporting. Well done!

3. PiliPili

PiliPili New Member

Big thanks to everyone at the Spa Valley for the event. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Having the extra space inside the west was a big improvement over last year.

I personally didn't have a problem with the tokens, but heard mutterings from lots of others who did, so it would be worth looking at that. If you came for the cider (as my wife did), and start at Eridge, then it's a bit annoying to have to watch everyone else drink all the way to TWW before you can get anything. A cider on the train, or at Eridge would be appreciated.

Also, I guess it's probably a rules thing, but it would be nice to run to Eridge a bit later, so you can get home by train after another couple of pints...

Overall, a great event, and will definitely be back again next year!

Duncan

4. matt41312

matt41312 Member

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the feedback. I think the members were all very impressed by how last weekend went. The space was a lot better and believe me there are now moves afoot to make it even bigger at TWW next year, so us guys need to get our skates on and get Sutton mobile!

From what I understand there are no rules about how late we run to Eridge, but it does come down to available volunteers to crew not only Eridge itself but also Forge Farm Crossing. At the moment there are no lights in the hut and it isn't the nicest of places to spend after dark!

When I see the organiser for the event next I'll try and pass on your comment about the cider at Eridge.

Matt

P.S. Don't forget our Steam Gala this weekend which stars the 4F which was just about on view last weekend to those who visited.