If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley bridge strike

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Rosedale, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    From the Spa Valley's Facebook page:

On Friday 15th September at approximately 04:30 Broom Lane Bridge, located around 1 mile from High Rocks Station, near to the Adams Well Campsite was struck by a lorry.

We have unfortunately suffered bridge strikes here before however this time it is severe. The lorry has caused damage to a flange outstand at midspan, this is the central beam on Broom Lane Bridge and it has also as a result removed tension control bolts and rivets that are supporting.

The damage done by the lorry to the bridge is such that we cannot now operate any trains over it until it is repaired by our Contract Bridge Engineers, an inspection by them and our Consultant Civil Engineer is taking place on Monday at 08:00.

This means that for the time being, until the bridge is repaired, the Spa Valley Railway is unable to operate trains beyond Adams Well in the direction of Groombridge.

An Emergency Timetable using our Class 207 DEMU 1317 will be in place for this weekend and most likely the next, depending on how or when the repairs to the structure can take place.

The repairs to this bridge will undoubtably cost a lot of money so we are asking at this time for support from anyone to either donate via PayPal or visit us and ride on 1317 to help our income at our time of need.

This is obviously a major blow to all of us here at the Spa Valley Railway after such an enjoyable summer with our Steam Festival, Diesel Gala & 20th Birthday Bash however we are a determined railway, with a strong volunteer workforce and we will not be defeated!

Please support us, donations can be made via PayPal to our Broom Lane Bridge find here: https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/article.php/54/donations

Very sad.

2. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Do they have the details of the vehicle involved

If not I suggest a call to the motor insurer's bureau