If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Spa Valley Railway - Latest News

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by matt41312, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In a slight change to our Green timetable loco allocations for Saturday 5th & Monday 7th, 52322 will now operate the majority of our services.
    Tunbridge Wells West A-Class departures will be at: 12:00, 13:40 & 15:20.
    Eridge A-Class departures will be at: 11:10, 12:50 & 14:30.

Freshly returned to service Class 10 D3489 will haul the 10:20 from Tunbridge Wells West with 52322 on the rear and the 16:10 from Eridge with 52322 on the rear. D3489 will then act as shunter at Eridge enabling 52322 to work both ways.

For those unfamiliar with the line 52322 will be travelling tender first in the Eridge direction and in the photogenic chimney first direction towards Tunbridge Wells.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

My video from Saturday 5th May, filmed at Groombridge, High Rocks, Eridge and Forge Farm Crossing:

3855, Johnme101, jafcreasey and 2 others like this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    A snap from today at TWW. Nicely driven.

P1090499.JPG

4. 73082

73082 Member

A good (though extremely warm) day yesterday, massive thanks to all at the Spa Valley for the intensive and interesting timetable - the afternoon trains to Birchden were a nice addition! My video and some photos, the latter ordered chronologically, are below. 52322 looks very good, not seen a locomotive that immaculate in quite some time, and I'll definately be back again in the coming weeks!

The morning driver experience passes an onlooker at High Rocks Lane
    62 High Rocks Lane 6.5.2018.jpg

The A Class out of High Rocks 52322 High Rocks 6.5.2018.jpg

The horse didn't even look up! 62 Pokehill 6.5.2018.jpg

52322 between the trees at Lealands 52322 Lealands 6.5.2018.jpg

Standing in the shadows at Groombridge 52322 Groombridge 6.5.2018.jpg

The double-header rolls down the platform at Groombridge 52322 62 Groombridge 6.5.2018.jpg

Storming past the climbers at Harrison's Rocks (good to see Ugly assisting from the rear as well) 52322 Harrisons Rocks 6.5.2018.jpg

The last train of the day in the low sun at Pokehill 62 52322 Pokehill 6.5.2018.jpg

84H, mickpop, ady and 7 others like this.
  5. BR 73082

BR 73082 Member

Slightly delayed but some photographs from my visit on 5th May can be found at the link below and pressing the left arrow key (or by following the link to my flickr in the signature). Here is one of the 10:20 service leaving Groombridge for Eridge with 52322 on the rear. Enjoyable visit and a nice little locomotive. Thanks also to the railway for the amended timetable which allowed 52322 to haul all the round trips, bar the first to Eridge and the last back to TWW. Meant I could get a few more shots than expected whilst still taking 52322 for a round trip.

[​IMG]

https://flic.kr/p/26jRLf7

6. 3855

3855 Member

Looks really at home in those pictures just needs the 5 swapping for a 3 and it could pass for a southern equivalent...

7. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Due to engineering works anyone coming this weekend can only travel to Eridge on Saturday 26th May.

Sunday 27th & Monday 28th May will be a Groombridge only service using just 52322 and the 4 Mk1s. Full details and timetable are available on our website: https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/...vice-with-visiting-Steam-Locomotive-No.-52322!

Tunbridge Wells West departures: 10:30, 12:00, 13:15, 14:30 & 15:45.

There is limited capacity on the 13:15 and 14:30 services on Sunday as 78 of the seats are allocated to Sunday Luncheon customers.

Bar Car 'Kate' is returning to service this weekend after around £10K worth of work to the kitchen, bar and wiring. Beers, ciders, larger, spirits, wine, tea, coffee etc all going back on sale on the train. This will be accessible on the 10:30, 12:00 and 15:45 services on Sunday and all but the 15:45 on the Monday (Cream Tea service in 'Kate', this can still be booked online here: http://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/product.php/71/cream-teas)

8. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    What fantastic pictures, and what a lovely line. A mate goes down there quite often, must join him one day.

'Uglies' always look like they're in such a hurry... :)

9. 73082

73082 Member

My video and a few photos from the Summer Festival on Sunday. A great event, my thanks go to all involved, the trains seemed reasonably full all day and the vintage transport display in the car park at Eridge was a highlight, as well as being something a bit different. Good to see D3489 out again, and with a new air whistle? Sounded like it belonged at Neasden!

D3489 leads the first train of the day towards Birchden Junction
    D3489 52322 Harrisons Rocks 1.7.2018.jpg

First Up train up Birchden Bank 52322 Birchden Bank 1.7.2018.jpg

1317 opens up approaching Lealands Straight 1317 Lealands 1.7.2018.jpg

10. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    cct man and Wenlock like this.
  11. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Its was reported in Steam Railway Magazine that the Ashurst Loop is no longer available which was being used for stock storage. How big of an impact is that going to be cause the railway has barely much storage space in the first place?

12. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Is this why they are having a purge of stock?

jnc likes this.
  13. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    probably

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

fundamentally why is Ashurst loop no longer available ? can't think of any other use for it

15. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    According to the magazine the land was owned by a supporter but has changed hands and now is owned by someone else who wanted to use it for something else.

16. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

Attached Files:

17. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Queen Mary Brake Van at the Diesal gala

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Made my first visit to the Spa Valley on Sunday. An interesting event with Deltic, Crompton and Clayton haulage for the diesel fans and the Lanky A Class for the steam lovers. Took the opportunity to ride behind the lot as the weather was not conducive to good photographs. Very friendly and helpful staff added to the enjoyment of the day. Was a novel experience to be trundling along near Eridge behind steam while being over taken by a modern dmu.

19. Jonnie

Jonnie Member

General Manager
    Some updates from the Spa Valley...

The railway has recently hosted our last Day Out With Thomas event, something that we will miss having take place as it was brilliant income for a railway of our size. The event however wasn't going in the direction of the licensor and as a result at the end of the agreement it was not being renewed. Following DOWT we have had our most successful Beer & Cider Festival to date with 1,764 people travelling on the trains and a further 1,500 just visiting to enjoy the drinks on offer at the stations. 23% up on train travel from 2017.

On the diesel front, Class 31/4 31430 'Sister Dora' has arrived from Mangapps Farm and will be based at the Spa for the foreseeable future. The 31 joins the shunters, 33s, 73, 207 and 3CIG. On the steam side of things some big steps have been made recently with Terrier 'Sutton' being re-wheeled, the boiler overhaul will be commencing later this year in house. The motion which is already overhauled and a kit of parts can now be returned to the engine, once the boiler overhaul is complete it will hopefully not be far off returning to traffic. LBSCR Umber Marsh is the colour being initially worn by the engine with the name 'Sutton'.

The Jinty's boiler is about to be dispatched for overhaul and it is estimated the repairs will take around 2yrs to complete. Whilst the boiler is away the chassis and motion will be prepared in house to accept the boiler upon its return, lots of work has gone on behind the scenes on this engine. Andrew Barclay 'Lady Ingrid' is due to return to steam in the not too distant future following the return of the boiler.

Our new arrival is the 'lost engine' Hunslet 'Newstead', the loco is in remarkably good condition and will be funded materials wise by its owner whilst the necessary lesser skilled work will be undertaken in house, similar what has been done with 'Lady Ingrid'. It is estimated to steam in around 2 to 3yrs time subject to volunteers.

Joining the railway over Xmas is GWR No. 813 and also Hunslet No. 1982 'Ring Haw', the Hunslet will then remain on the line throughout 2019. 813 will operate all Santa Special services and post Xmas trains prior to going off hire in January. We are grateful to the GWR 813 Preservation Fund and Severn Valley Railway for the engines visit and the North Norfolk Railway for making 'Ring Haw' available to us for such a long period.

If you want to get involved in a small but ever growing railway then please join us! If you want to come and see 'Newstead' and get involved then this Sunday 4th November is the day to visit Tunbridge Wells West too. From 11am to 4pm we'll be welcoming new prospective volunteers to our railway in all areas!

https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/article.php/8/volunteering

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    ady, big.stu, 3855 and 2 others like this.
  20. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but the Spa Valley Railway have launched an appeal to purchase the 'Jinty' number 47493 thus becoming owned by the railway themselves.

https://www.spavalleyrailway.co.uk/article.php/76/jinty_appeal

surprised there seems to be no mention of the landslip appeal anymore but I haven't heard that its has been fixed...

Paul42 likes this.