If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Springtime In The Harz

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by acw71000, May 23, 2016.

1. PamW

PamW New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A couple of photos from our recent visit to the Harz -

Harz-1315-2.jpg Harz-1326-2.jpg
    - the rest can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/pamw/

RalphW, marshall5 and Spamcan81 like this.
  2. Peter Wilde

Peter Wilde New Member

They can run fast on occasion, despite the tight curves.

In the second part of this video from two or three years ago, a late-starting train I took from Eisfelder Talmuhle to Gernrode recovered about half an hour on a 2 hr schedule; helped no doubt by having a large 2-10-2T on a very short train. An exciting trip but not such a good chance to admire the scenery; I will have to go back.

3. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

5. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Many thanks for your reply! Your opening scenes on the video even show double headed Mallets.....

I definitely need to book on one of these 'Traditional Trains' on my 2017 visit to the Harz

6. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

I was there for a week in June this year and saw double headed Mallets on one Saturday Tradzug and single headed on the next. Although not in the timetable I saw a further two 'tradzugs' - an unadvertised Wernigerode to Brocken and one with a Mallet on a wedding special (using normal stock) from DAH to Brocken. Wednesdays and Fridays seem to be favourites for the extras. Don't forget the workshop tours on Friday afternoons. Mallet 5906 is usually over on the Selketal but was missing in June this year. In June 2015 there was a shortage of Mallets so prototype 2-10-2T #7222 worked the Tradzugs. Hope you have a good trip.
    Ray.

Attached Files:

7. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks for the information Ray, a trip behind double headed Mallet's would be the highlight of our Harz visit.
    I assume the Tradzug's will be bookable in the Wernigerode booking office, as well as online?

Still thinking of visiting the Baltic lines sometime too...

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles

You won't be disappointed.

9. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

When we went last May we booked online, they don't take payment but send an email confirmation which you produce in the booking office on the day, make the payment and receive the tickets. In May the train was full and seemingly not many enthusiasts onboard as hardly anybody ventured onto the end verandas. We spent the journey in the open wagon which we had to ourselves. It's also worth having a look at this site;
    http://www.selketalbahn.de/
    They also run specials to the Brocken, usually from Gernrode. There is one on 18/2/17 which could well be Mallet hauled. A Traditionzug ran from Nordhausen in May which we filmed and this had 99 5902 for the whole journey so if you fancy a longer run that could also be an option.
    The Harz interest group also run their own trains, some using Railcars and there are several already planned for 2017. Here's the link;
    http://harzbahnen.forumo.de/sonderfahrten-der-ighsb/geplante-sonderzuge-2017-t2175.html

10. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

If you've not already done so have a look at the HSB's own website http://www.hsb-wr.de/mehr-erleben/sonderzuege/traditionszuege-zum-brocken/ Nordhausen - Brocken specials are listed as 29/7 & 12/8.
    There are also some interesting "Thematische Sonderzuge" such as the miniscule pre-war railcar T1 operating on the Selketalbahn on 7 different dates.
    If you're staying in the area it is worth checking the Rubelandbahn's website http://www.arbeitsgemeinschaft-ruebelandbahn.de/index.php/fahrplan-co/fahrplan as s.g. 2-10-2T # 95.0127 works the line from Blankenburg to Rubeland one weekend per month with gradients up to 1 in 19! It is less than an hour by bus from Wernigerode Bhf. which is free with your hotel Hatix card or Harz Tour Card.
    Cheers,
    Ray.

11. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Many thanks for all the information and links, this will be our third trip and we're still spoilt for choice!