If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SSN cab ride

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Breva, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Breva

Breva Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Those with a leaning towards large Pacifics might enjoy this 'cab ride', filmed from the front buffer beam (and along the boiler, with properly cut in lineside shots) of SSN's 01 1075, now at last active again on the Dutch main line from its base in Rotterdam North:

I've cut off the first 10 minutes, this clip starts from the final curve into the new Rotterdam Central station (as reviewed by Timmy Dunn), then onwards into the 3 kilometer long, 4 track Willemsspoor tunnel under the city and then under the river. The trip then continues to Breda - no need to watch all of it.

In 2010 I did a trip through the same tunnel with the same loco, but this time in the cab. You can watch that here:

The loco is piloted by a red 6400 diesel in this clip, but nonetheless the driver shoves the regulator open wide as the train goes back up the steep exit ramp.

History: Originally this line south from Rotterdam ran right through the centre of town on a long two track steel viaduct, then over the river and an adjacent lock, which was crossed by a lifting bridge which has been preserved (De Hef). Mainly due to capacity constraints, the famous city viaduct was replaced by a four track tunnel in 1996. Initially the SSN was prevented from using it, then with a pilot, and nowadays with the steam loco alone. No smoke must be made in the tunnel (smoke alarms) but in the 'cabside' clip you can hear them opening the regulator at the foot of the exit ramp, even before emerging back into daylight.

01 1075 is limited to 100km/h in Holland (Vmax otherwise 160 km/h) due to its simplified Dutch ATP system. The loco is also fitted with the original INDUSI magnetic ATP system for Germany, where the loco is also authorised to operate.

The SSN is now finally able to run again after lockdown, and did three trips in quick succession. They need the cash, as they received no grant support at all during the crisis.

Enjoy the videos!

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Beautiful loco, great video. Thanks.