If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Cranes.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Jamie Glover, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I wouldn't like to say how long it is since a crane was used for a straight lift of a carriage on the NYMR - I know one was used when the old LMS sleeper was lifted out for the nasty stuff to be stripped, I think the track was probably connected back up to get it out when it went and get the Mark 3 in its place.

You do need a solid concrete pad to use jacks, which tends to be inside although we are just completing a sizable concrete apron outside Pickering C & W, which will enable "fine weather" lifting without having to make space inside.

We have been cursed this year with the C & W (and main PWay) Cranes not being available - neither are steam but both are quite ancient (the C & W one is quite a bit older than the PWay one) and I have asked the question if any affordable but more modern solutions are available to do much of the work at C & W. As I have said, we don't expect the accounts to be kept in hand-written, leather bound ledgers because we are a heritage railway, so why must we use aged equipment for other non-front line tasks?

Steven

oddsocks and gwalkeriow like this.
  2. 3155

3155 New Member

loco owner
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    At Ribble Steam Railway, we have a 25ton overhead crane indoors in the heated workshop that we use for bogie & boiler lifts, the minor downside being that you have to take the work to it.
    We have also recently purchased a 10 ton A frame which will probably be sited in the yard for small power unit lifts etc.

3. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm not sure if there are any relatively modern rail-mounted cranes other than ex-Departmental stock. We have so few rail-connected heavy industrial sites that I'd be willing to bet that it has been very many years since a rail-mounted crane has been built for an industrial user. It's an archaic way of working and we're probably stuck with archaic equipment as a result.

4. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Unless a different way of doing the job is found..........

Steven

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Can't help feeling a suitable FLT might be a better bet now that there is a concrete hardstanding available, especially if it is a rough terrain one.

6. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

The route has been suggested and has some merits, particularly if it was something like a high reach telefork example, but as the rail crane can traverse the whole yard I think most of it would have to be filled in and new homes for wheelsets and bogie frames stored in inaccessible places. Might save a bit on ash disposal for a while though!

7. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    It's probably swings and roundabouts. With a rail mounted crane, you are limited to a jib length strip either side of the rails. With an FLT, you are limited to where the ground is suitable, which may, or may not, be greater. Pallets and racking can increase storage, though.

8. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

One thing I would love to see re-instated, not having seen it for real. Is one being used to give the public a "360' ride" in an open wagon body [one with the wheels etc removed] even if only one of the smaller cranes. You look at the likes of the Hulton[?] library of prewar photos and you'd see the resident crane at this steam/goods depot. Folk would be charged a nominal 1/2p or penny for a spin and the proceeds going to the childrens ward of the local Hospital or some such good cause. No doubt there'd be the usual; "You can't do that, 'Elf & Safety!" nutter objecting. In many case it's used as a way of saying no, without actually saying No!

9. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    No one has mentioned the steam "Crane Tank" yet.

The only one I've seen working is "Dubs" at the Foxfield.
    http://www.ipernity.com/doc/312383/33111083/in/album/572833

(although "Roker","Hendon" "Southwick" and "Millfield" all built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn still exist, I've not seen any of them in steam)

10. TseTT

TseTT New Member

KWVR has two working steam cranes on it at the moment. Plus a third not operational.
    A 50?ton breakdown crane belonging to the Bahamas Loco Soc with another 50t non op. KWVR owned. Also a 10t P.Way Grafton.

11. flaman

flaman Well-Known Member

Semi-retired farmer, railway & museum owner
    Anyone know what's happened to the Neilson crane tank "Snipey"? I last saw it at Lytham St. Annes about 25 years ago.

12. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

Still there, I think.

flaman likes this.
  13. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    I am a H&S "nutter". Paid as well.
    Nothing stopping you spinning the public around in an un wheeled open wagon on the end of a crane.
    Risk assessment,public liability insurance, a crane a wagon and a willing Heritage Railway.
    How about hang the Elephant? With a railway crane?
    They did in the USA!
    To add to the fun :
    You could also have snow ball fights with old boiler lagging........what was that made from?

Oh yes asbestos !

Plenty of nutty actives from the H&S nutter!

Nutty Nick

14. 2392

2392 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed though "Health & Safety" tends to be as I said trotted out as a way of say no without actually saying No! The Health & Safety Executive themselves issued earlier this year a list of Heath & Safety "excuses" to stop people doing things. The one that really got me was the pub that wouldn't sell beer in tankards [be they 1/2 or whole pints] with handles on, on account of .............you guessed it "Elf & Safety!:eek:" Yes I know there can be problems in pubs with glasses being used as weapons.;)

15. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I believe RS1097/45 at the GCR is "in ticket". It was certainly used for its "original purpose" when 46521 needed re-railing back in 2013.

16. oldmrheath

oldmrheath Well-Known Member

Roker did some useful work at Foxfield in the late '70's. It was retubed ready for a further spell in 1982 but a crack in the firebox was discovered and that was the end of that. Mechanically it is very tired.

Jon

17. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    For C+W another avenue is being looked at which makes use of a Rail Crane.

18. Jamie Glover

Jamie Glover New Member

Civil engineer (Railway infrastructure).
    What is the current location of the Taylor steam crane that was up to recently on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway?

19. sleepermonster

sleepermonster Member

The Taylor steam crane was sold to a private collector at Appleby Frodingham RPS, Scunthorpe. The runner wagon got chopped with the bogies going to IOWSR.

Regards,

Tim

20. Fireline

Fireline Well-Known Member

The KESR has three steam cranes. Our 10 ton Taylor & Hubbard crane is operational, and used for P Way work, general tidying, and for putting in the way of service trains when shunting. Our Ransomes & Rapier 30 ton crane is pretty much confined to Rolvenden, for boiler lifts, and moving Charlie's lunch. Our third steam crane, a 10 ton Grafton, is presently being used to stop a particularly tricky bit of track from floating away.....