If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Dreams 2013 & 2014 Archive

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

It will be West Coast who decides rather than SD , and it may be influenced by the path/times given for servicing and watering.The Newbury to Ely trip in October had a diesel on the back for operational reasons although it was unclear if it was for shunting and/or because there was no water stop on the return( trip came back via ECML rather than the line via Harlow The loop used for watering in in the past at Harlow is no longer available).

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well neither of the next two trips (Chester and Ludlow) need a diesel for operational reasons, in my view, so there will be the opportunity to test whether SD/WC really are going for the easy option. I suspect not but we shall see.

AMP likes this.
  3. Paul42

I agree but 1 of my 3 trips to Chester up the West Coast mainline had one as far as Rugby. Hauled by 6201 and although listed on UK steam as West Coast I thought it was DBS, particulary since the trip was originally due to be hauled by Tornado.
    Neither of my 2 trips to Ludlow/Shrewsbury with SD have had a diesel on the back.

4. Paul42

Diesel from Lowesoft on the return so looks like Mayflower going back to the NNR.

5. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This rather unfortunate sounding post has appeared in the "Galas and Events" section of the Forum:-

That will be a bit of a blow to SD if this is not finished by February and a great shame for everyone lookingforward to seeing a B1 where no B1 has gone for a very long time. Still, a lot can happen in three months.

...and one of them picks up at a number of stations on the "Surrey Hills" route. Lizzie has been a pretty rare sight in the south (in fact, LMS express locos in general have made fairly few forays south of the Thames in preservation era) so I would hope that this one will sell well, as it's certainly something a bit different and hopefully with an 8P loco will not need diesel assistance.

What's the betting that the Cranmore-Bluebell trip in October WON'T be hauled by 6201? I doubt if anyone has ever tried gauging the the South Croydon-East Grinstead route for an LMS pacific before. It would be great to see 6201 on the Bluebell, but if I were a gambling man, I certainly wouldn't put any money on it

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Has 61306 worked since it failed at the NNR gala in August?

7. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes it has, it has worked until it's washout was needed

8. Paul42

In the latest Steam Railway re Mayflower - No Boiler lift. Work being carried to ensure it is reliable including some stays being replaced as a precautionary measure. Almost all SD trips ( excluding S&C ) in March and April likely to be Mayflower, website will be updated as soon as they are finalised. Owner quoted as saying the only mainline work planned is with Steam Dreams at present, because they have given us a load of work.

mike1522 and steamvideosnet like this.