If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam dreams adding three locomotives for 2012 program!

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

On the subject of Olympics trains...

isn't Heritage Stock limited to the number of miles allowed to run on the network in a year ? (If so 30 days of 200mile or so trips will put a dent in it)
    And what are these extra services anyway, Network rails website lists the trains, but apart from regular timed trains, and the TOC's putting on some late night extra's I've not spotted any extra-curricular workings... anyone have any details ?

Several rail tours are listed during the Olympic period, including one to Weymouth.

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Depends what you class as Heritage Stock, i woulden't say Mk2 aircons are anciant by any means.

3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think a limited mileage was quoted in some applications for exemption from the Mark 1 ban as a "mitigating factor". I suspect WCRC and EWS/DBS didn't include any limit in their applications. Generally, where included, these were more for information in support of the exemption than anything else.

Mark 2s, certainly with air-con, have secondery door locks and aren't Mark 1s, so can be used freely.

I believe the extra trains are to be used as reliefs and mainly work on an "as required" basis, although some scheduled services will also be run. I would think these will be classed as Charters and hence not appear in the main public timetable. If you look at a printed timetable, only the NYMR's through services to/from Whitby and the morning Jacobite appear. I think the same is true for the online timetable (certainly NYMR services appear -I think the Jacobite does as well). No other charters appear in such places.

Steven

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Network rail is advertising them for sale...

http://www.nationalrailgamestravel.co.uk/

Or are you saying only the extra services by toc's are being published for sale, and these are "last minute" extras just in case ?