If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Dreams. London to Cardiff. 10/09/2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Sep 8, 2015.

1. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Not quite but an integrated railway please

2. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This is the latest news from Pathfinder Tours regarding their railtour on Saturday to the Borders Railway. It sounds rather familiar. <BJ>

http://www.pathfindertours.co.uk/index.php/tour-calendar-reader/events/the-border-reiver---new.html

The Borber Reiver Postponed

16/09/2015 13:25
    NETWORK RAIL ARE UNABLE TO PROVIDE VALIDATED TIMINGS TODAY SO THAT WE IN TURN ARE NOT ABLE TO PROVIDE OUR CUSTOMERS WITH CONFIRMED ARRANGEMENTS FOR THIS EXCURSION.
    THEREFORE, WITH GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT , WE ARE POSTPONING THE RUNNING OF THE BORBER REIVER TO 2016.

3. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    It's possible (but not confirmed) West Coast Railways applied first for a path, on behalf of SRPS Railtours, for an ECS from Millerhill to Tweedbank, which then takes a platform at Tweedbank with the other stabled with ScotRail 158's, for the railtour to depart for Oban shortly after 0430. Due to both tours seemingly requesting similar timed paths, it may be a case of first come first get. For any ScotRail services to be cancelled, I believe charter timings requests need to be requested more than 16 weeks in advance.

4. free2grice

Pathfinder Tours have been involved in the charter train business for decades. I'm sure they know the basic rules of how and when to apply for a route for a proposed railtour. Pathfinder do not openly criticise railway departments unless they are really pushed to the limit. Yet again we have to ask why Network Rail cannot provide validated timings for a charter train that is due to run just a few days away. It's difficult to imagine a company that is so bad in providing a basic service . <BJ>

5. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    But the point may be that the requested path by Pathfinder has conflicted with the path requested by SRPS Railtours. Indeed, SRPS wanted something around 0510 before the first service, but due to restrictions involved with loco hauled trains on the Borders route limiting to 55mph (with many bridges at 20/30mph), the start time has ended up being 0436. So perhaps the difficulty is fitting two loco hauled trains on the Borders Route, be it timings or even fear of the two loco hauled trains passing each other over one of the restricted bridges at the same moment. So, as my point above, it may be first come first served.

6. free2grice

The time to discuss the viability of a railtour is when the train/trains are first proposed, not two or three days before they actually run. This Network Rail 'mess up' (polite version) is a similar situation to the pair of railtours that were planned to visit Bristol and Cardiff at the beginning of the month hauled by the Duchess of Sutherland. <BJ>

western nobleman likes this.
  7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

This is all interesting stuff, but only distantly related to the cancelled SD trip to Cardiff. Perhaps new thread in General Railway Chat, or even the diesel tours forum, would be more appropriate?

8. free2grice

Sorry Mr. Mod but unfortunately I don't agree. The cancellation of the tours are related.

Steam Dreams and Pathfinder/TBEL (same address) all organise steam charters. Steam Dreams and Pathfinder
    have both had railtours cancelled recently at unreasonably short notice due to the antics of Network Rail. <BJ>