If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steel Steam and Stars 4 - March 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15 2015

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by RA & FC, Sep 12, 2014.

1. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

It was 24 waga actually. It was there for a while in most of 1998 and 99. It was there for the santas in 98 and 7754 banked it from llan and dropped off in Berwyn. The grand finale was in the BR gala in April 1999 when 76079 was turned to face the right way for the first time and they worked the last train on the Saturday and Sunday of the gala as the Pines Express with the correct lamp code. Then 76079 left for the ELR.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. JEB-245584

JEB-245584 Member

ADI
    45379 for one reason only.!!!

3. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I'd love to see some of the earlier engines back again. Burtonwood Brewer, 76079, 193 (where is this now?), Darfield and wasn't one of the S160's restored there too?

4. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Surely the point of any SSS is to raise money and lots of it? And to attract as many people as possible?

So lets say home fleet of 7822,45337,3802,80072,5199 were available. Add to that the T9, M7, which gives a good westcountry theme with some of the home locos, 13065 and Fairburn Tank again mixed with some home fleet and 61264 to get some LNER/LMS joint line running. You would surely get people who like different regions down with a good varied selection.

5. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

I agree.Locos that are either newly restored or rarely left their home railway will also help atract visitors ( At previous Galas - Royal Scot, Morayshire, 828 and Mayflower ). It will require some visitors that will appeal to photo charter organisers as well as those attending the gala( at previous Galas - Dukedog, Coal Tank and Super D).
    I think the Fairburn Tank is a good suggestion, ditto 61264, and would addd City of Wells, 4566 and 7820.

6. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It's at the Ribble steam railway

7. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You'd be doing well to get a Fairburn. One of them ran at the GCR for a while after it had some work done there but there was a bit of a deal - kind of "we'll sort out the water tanks in return for X months of free running" (if I remember correctly). Otherwise the pair of them have only ever run on the L&H. Still it would be nice to get one.... an interesting contrast with 80072....

I also agree with the idea that the gala needs to appeal to the widest possible audience, therefore there is merit in having an interesting mix of locos. After all it's about raising funds to support the Grange project. Therefore there's a need to maximise visitor numbers, therefore a GWR only gala (as much as I understand the appeal to those who face Swindon when saying their prayers) may be too "selective" (in the immortal words of the manager of Spinal Tap).

I lean towards Crewe, Derby, Horwich, Stoke and Gorton.... so give me LMS with a smattering of LNER as well as a hefty dose of GWR, but that's just me.... I'll come down whatever is running....

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

42085 ran on the Bluebell in Feb / March 2010 - see http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/was/what_was_new10.html towards the bottom for photos.

Tom

9. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

7754 actually...

10. RA & FC

Thats always been their plan. Have an interesting mix of engines that will cover most if not all bases. Like the previous events having little themes, Scottish, LNWR / south wales, East coast, 4-4-0 etc, and then throwing everything into the mix at weekends. Something for everyone.

Gav106 and lil Bear like this.
  11. RA & FC

5197 the S160 now at CVR was the one restored at Llan. I believe the red pig (193) is now at Ribble rail underrgoing overhaul.

12. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I'd forgotten about that..... good call. Wasn't 42085 built at Brighton?

The L&H thread on Heritage Railway and Centres thread says that 42073 has just returned to steam following an overhaul..... maybe, just maybe, SSS4 could be its debut on another line????

I remember when I went to the L&H and the two Fairburns were brewing up nicely in the yard there - from ground level they looked enormous, very impressive.

13. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes, and so was 42073. In fact, 42066 to 42106 were all built at Brighton. I thought about 40 of the class were built there, but thought I'd check onWikipedia for a more accurate figure:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Fairburn_2-6-4T

14. RA & FC

It would fit in well with an LM theme and a Southern one then. Southern locos have been a bit rare at Llan over the years, so might prove popular.

15. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

16. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

Will 3802 be available, I'm sure the boiler ticket must run out fairly soon now?

17. RA & FC

A better idea of home fleet will be available nearer the time. 3802 and 80072 are currently stopped with issues. 7822 is still having its new throat plate manufactured and fitted, 5199 is awaiting smoke box door ring. Good job the gala isn't next week!

18. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Surprised no-one has mentioned it, but how about getting 5542 in to run auto train services? It's auto fitted at both ends now.

You really can't do Steel Steam and Stars four times without involving the Planet's Favourite Prairie at least once!!

19. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    That would go well with the two autocoaches - still one of my favourite ways to ride the Dee Valley.

20. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The beaver tail coach they borrowed a few years back was a very nice touch, maybe another saloon car may be worth considering ?.. I know they charged a supplement for using it and it seemed to be very popular.. did it pay it's way ? - indeed being adventurous is there a sleeping car serviceable ??? - i'd pay for a night sleeper hauled by steam.. considering some local hotels are charging upwards for £100 per night.

Another thing i'd consider is the driver for a fiver idea.. there was sometimes long periods at Llangollen where not much was going on, running something up and down the platform or to the shed could be fun, even if it was only a J94 and a brakevan in-between trains ? - The recently restored Polish tkh 0-6-0T from Churnet Valley might be something a little different to consider or something small cheap and fun.

i'd stay away from too many big names, 6100 was a unique event, but 60163/70000 didn't really do it for me, if I was to suggest only 1 big name then it'd be 6023, failing that get a repaint of 30850 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014