If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steel Steam and Stars 4 - March 6, 7, 8, 13, 14 and 15 2015

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by RA & FC, Sep 12, 2014.

1. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    And it would provide an extra train without splitting any of the normal sets. I'd be doubtful if the 64 is finished in time, so the autos probably wouldnt be used otherwise.

2. RA & FC

The driver for a fiver things are a great money earner, but the best place to lose the loco when runrounds are required is in P1 siding, but if doing engine swaps on the trains that is used. So having extra engines hanging around in llan station can cause extra issues. With Llan to Goods being such a short section, you dont tend to get much time for water, run rounds and shunting at the bottom end. Previous Events have done it at Carrog.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    E1879 was hired for SSS2, and did make a tidy profit due to the very generous hire agreement reached with the RVP.
    Sleeping Car there's the Dean Sleeper at WSR, this was looked at for SSS2, but the vehicle failed its Brake Test and so we were not prepared to hire it (how good would that of been with 3440 though!).
    To do a sleeper though you also need to arrange Breakfast, and ensure the laundry gets cleaned and swapped during the day. OK for hotel businesses set up to do such, but when your a volunteer run railway trying to run a steam gala as well where are such people going to come from? We were lucky there used to be a local B&B who was prepared to help in 2009, but that's over 5years ago so would they be willing to do the same now?

Driver for a Fiver was trialled SSS1 along Goods Jcn back line, but due to the requirements to clip/scotch the pointwork it was just too problematic to include for SSS2. Can't use Llangollen platforms as in the event of a SPAD a inexperienced driver could end up obstructing the mainline with there being no catch/trap points at the West End of Llangollen. This is why for SSS2/3 Driver Exp was done out of Carrog during the layover on the midweek TT, as even though you ran onto the mainline there was no other trains in the section.

4. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    I remember the Patriot gala had auto shuttles from the MPD down to Pentrefelin, could this be an option for driver for a fiver/tenner or even a way to utilise an industrial/small tank/spare locomotive on brake van rides mixed in with shed tours at either end?

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Tell everyone to bring their own bedding, breakfast in the Llan buffet ?

A night on this carriage would be very nice, especially with a bit of late night running...
    http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Norton_Fitzwarren_GWR_J5_sleeping_coach_9038.jpg

I recall seeing a pretty nicely restored GW sleeper at Kidderminster too a few years back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/8014806958/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  6. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

She's not so shiny anymore :( And the interior needs a bit of work and the pluming for the attendants room and toilet put back in place. It would be nice if it could be attached to the back of one of the over-night sets at the ASG. But still it's fully booked for staff staying over night this weekend and it has been cleaned a few times recently (I've been doing it most times)

7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think a certain Journo at Bauer media who has connections between both Lakeside and GC has had a bit to do with the Fairburn tank deal, shame that the Maher Family wont let them off the leash a bit they'd look at home on a fair few railways from Bluebell to NYMR

lil Bear likes this.
  9. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

As was explained earlier in the thread 42085 has already run on the Bluebell ;)

10. RA & FC

The connections with editorial staff at Beuer, and visits to other lines involving having work done on the loco doesnt really make it look like an easy loco to get hold of. I guess if there is something in it for the owners then it will be easier.

11. Journalist

Journalist New Member

Previous SSSGs looked like they had amazingly varied line-ups, and I'd vote for that approach again rather than anything too themed/authentic. One of those 'never imagined being able to see that combination of locos in one place' affairs. In previous years did the visitors operate service trains on a more basic timetable on the weekdays between the main weekends too? Work should allow me to spend 2-3 days up there (dates are perfect!) next year so being able to suss it out a bit, as it'll be my Llangollen debut, during the week before the major intensive part sounds tempting.

12. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

The first Saturday and last Thursday, Friday and Saturday are the most intensive, with things starting around 8am and running well into midnight. The Sundays are also very intensive but the first Sunday finishes around 7 and the last Sunday finishes around 4 because of the cavalcade. The Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are a 2 train service doing 4 runs each, usually with 3 engines and the first and last trains might be double-headed. There is often a photo charter on one of these evenings. I know it was the Monday in 2009. All the add-ons are in full and merry swing all through the week, though. The only thing I can think of was in 2012, when Prince was only in steam on the Saturdays and Sundays but Dolgoch was in steam every day so there was plenty to do.

13. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    I seem to remember that SSS3 had some mid-week running (including a 4-4-0 day and a Scottish day if I remember).

That said I suspect that mid week running days are probably (I don't know for certain) volunteer intensive and (maybe) customer light if you know what I mean, hence they don't seem to be in the plan for SSS4.

On the other comment above by Journalist, one of the attractions of SSS2 and 3 for me was the range of locos. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Croes Newydd and Along Western Lines gala recently, each of which was clearly directly relevant to the line and "felt" right. On the other hand..... an occasional "mash up" of things can also work well and (I imagine) has wider appeal. (I understand the comments from an earlier poster about an all GWR thread). Like I said earlier in the thread, I'll be down for a couple of days no matter what is running.

On the subject of 6100 (which I mentioned earlier in the thread), one of the reason I'd like to see it at SSS4 would be that SSS2 was it's last Gala, so a "re-debut" at SSS4 would just be nice - no idea if the loco could actually make it though....

14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

It might be elsewhere. A loco not named yet is due to be be running in at the Midhants next year and appearing at its Gala which is the first weekend in March.

15. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    There is no midweek running this time following difficulties in finding enough volunteers for the midweek stuff at SSS3. Hence it's now 2 weekends, the clue was in the dates within the title...

The first guest has also been announced at SVR ASG as Collett 3205 from the South Devon Railway.

david1984 and ADB968008 like this.
  16. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

And what would that be perchance?..........................my ears have just been pricked, given what I've been hearing..........

17. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

the clue was in the dates within the title...

Well, sooooooooorry!

18. RA & FC

Monday to Thursday only had 3 locos in steam. It was only the weekends and Friday that had all boxes open and intensive running. As said in the first post of this thread and the title of the thread the gala is to run friday to sunday of 2 weekends, allowing us volunteers a break in between.

lil Bear likes this.
  19. RA & FC

Great news. A baby castle.

20. 7822WelshSteam

7822WelshSteam Member

Oh, yes. All right. I've seen it now. By the way, there was a full gala service on the Thursday of SSS2 (the best one by far) in 2009.