If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

STEEL, STEAM & STARS II - Llangollen Rly - 18 to 26 April 09

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Jul 5, 2008.

1. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Glad to see that the rest of the week went as well as the first four days i had the chance to be a part of.

Kicking myself for not being able to stay for that Wednesday morning charter, the fog shots are magic 5944!!! Hopefully i can get to some of my shots by tomorrow or wednesday, jet-lag and straight back to work is a killer!!!

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Same. Though we were louder on 9017. Ask the Tanfield lads \:D/ \:D/

3. Broomhalla

Broomhalla Well-Known Member

My god what a gala. I big thanks to all those who came along and helped out.
    Who could have predicted 9 days of sun on the trot with only a tiny bit of rain on the last Saturday.

This is something i am never going to forget being a part of and i hope there is a third but i am in agreement with Jon about it not being before Corwen.

The charters went well and my thanks to those who helped us out with them.

One person i must thank for his tireless help is are Forum Manager southyorkshireman or Ben as he is known outside the forum. Not only did he help out day in day out on the ticket stand but also helped me and Jon on the two charters what was very much appreciated as i had no idea what to do or even at points what was going on. Next time he's down i owe him a much deserved pint for his help.

My footplate ride on Truro will live with me till the day i die and as a lad born in Truro it meant the world to me to experience so thanks Will for making that possible.

But now the organizers must rest as the event has left all of those completely wiped out.

It was a wonderful gala and we hope everyone who came had a enjoyable time and i know my enjoyed there trips along the Llangollen Railway when i brought them down on the last saturday.

4. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    I'll try and say something more productive when I'm awake.... Spent all day dismantling the gala.... back in London now and work in the morning.

Cracking gala, and was great to be on Truro in the cavalcade..... (note to self, do not enter a bid in an auction to 'get them going')

5. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Same. Though we were louder on 9017. Ask the Tanfield lads \:D/ \:D/[/quote:vt3pzf4c]

Both were pretty loud on the charter, but 5526 seemed to make more noise when propelling the train back to the starting point!

6. the-gog

the-gog Member

7. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
  8. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Just spent last seven days at Llangollen and may I say a great thank you to all of the 6880 men, the Llangollen Railway staff, and others who help make my stay a brillaint one.

The star has to be the 'Dukedog', but I enjoyed 'Truro', 'Mayflower', etc. as well! Cambrain day was excerllant in my mide, and the frsights behind 9017, 5643, and on Saturday evening with 'Truro' will stick in mind for a long time. The best bit was discovering the countyside around the railway, with the bigs hills and the mighty river dee. I took alot of photos (although if they are any good or not remains to be seen). Talked to many of the 'Grange' people while I was there, really aproachable guys and I wish them luck with finishing Betton Grange.

The Cavcade was really surpising. I was in the field with the rain coming down, and I thought this was going to be rubbish. But then the sun came out and a rainbow formed, which I thought was really pretty. Then they came round the corner at the right moment! Got a piture with all 10 in with the rainbow over the top of them.

Wished the pitchures I try to take at Berwyn had come out better, but still all round I enjoyed my self.

One last thing, I think I going to have to go to Steam Steel & Stars III when it happens. Bit of a wait but it will be worth it.

9. admin

admin Founder Administrator

Founder National Preservation
    Wow what a fantastic and tiring week.

Both myself and Ally and the dog enjoyed ourselves.

Here is a few of the pictures I took

10. ian evans

ian evans New Member

very good gala but can you do something about the carrog end i.e. a shortcut between platforms came off the 1700 on the friday ex llangollen & almost missed 44806 going back station staff wanted to get the train away as soon as 46100 arrived

11. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Is it true that another SSS won't happen at the Llangollen Railway, until it has reached Corwen?

12. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Both were pretty loud on the charter, but 5526 seemed to make more noise when propelling the train back to the starting point![/quote:26snafeu]

Must have been because we were pushing 8 coaches, and pulling a 'down the pan' dukedog..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

13. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Both were pretty loud on the charter, but 5526 seemed to make more noise when propelling the train back to the starting point![/quote:3n3gqlez]
    Must have been because we were pushing 8 coaches, and pulling a 'down the pan' dukedog..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/[/quote:3n3gqlez]
    Oh yeah whatever Captain Blow-off. We just thought we'd let you use up that extra steam \:D/

14. RA & FC

Both were pretty loud on the charter, but 5526 seemed to make more noise when propelling the train back to the starting point![/quote:1flf5xtr]
    Must have been because we were pushing 8 coaches, and pulling a 'down the pan' dukedog..... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/[/quote:1flf5xtr]
    Oh yeah whatever Captain Blow-off. We just thought we'd let you use up that extra steam \:D/[/quote:1flf5xtr]

Only one captin blow-off out there, an that ain't me... :-$

15. RA & FC

Anyway... Can we keep the D49... Firing it whilst dragging the Royal Scot and eight coaches is pretty memorable....

16. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    That was mainly down to us running slightly late, normally you had 7 minutes to do this but once we started to run late in an attempt to claw time back this was reduced. Doubt a shortcut can be created as there is no plans for a footbridge as there never was one at Carrog, and the foot crossings aren't useable for members of the public plus during galas they are generally blocked by locos/stock. Once at Corwen problem will be removed as there is only going to be one platform so there will be no need to change platforms.

I have said I will not help in planning another SSS until Corwen is built, and a few other members of the SSS Planning Team feel the same. See my post on the previous page. If there is someone who wishes to run a similar event beforehand then good luck but personally I doubt it very much.

17. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Speaking with Brian he is up for a return visit. Need the right people to speak with each other first but I don't think that is the last we will see of Comptonshire at Llangollen.

18. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

19. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    If the next SSS isn't at Llnagollen, where are other possible venues?

20. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Where have you got that idea from ? #-o