If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Stolen English Electric Pistons

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Aureol, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Aureol

Aureol Member

Volunteer on the MR-B
    All,
    I am very sorry, and annoyed, to report that scum is on the loose yet again.
    On Sunday 7th September 2008, 4 new pistons, which belonged to A1A Locomotives Ltd.'s 31418, had been reported stolen.
    3 of these are in "as lifted" condition with rings and the other 1 is clean and minus rings, and as they are new they do not have stamps on the crowns, though are identifyable by A1A working members.
    The pistons are of a standard EE design and can fit any English Electric 'V' engine from class 20 to 50.
    The Midland Railway Trust and the Police have been notified of the thefts, and if anyone here has seen anything or knows anything to do with the thefts, please send me a PM ASAP, as a new set would cost the group £3000.

Thank you,

Daniel Baggaley (Aureol) on behalf of A1A Locomotives Ltd.

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Were they stolen with other items or do you suspect they were lifted to order?'

3. Aureol

Aureol Member

Volunteer on the MR-B
    Only things stolen, so suspected lifted to order.

4. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    If they have been lifted to order, then whoever is responsible has to be involved with or working of behalf of other preservationists? In my opinion they are gold-plated top notch scumbags. I hope your local police force has the nouse to follow this up properly.

5. Aureol

Aureol Member

Volunteer on the MR-B
    Exactly, but pistons aren't exactly something you can carry away under your arm, so the whole operation must have had at least 2 people and a large car (say, range rover or transit) to match.
    It's really sickening that there are such lowlife scumbags on this planet, but whatever, all I care about is that the group get their property back.

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Surely it should not be to difficult to determine who is in the proces of rebuilding or about to rebuild one of those engines. There cannot be too many around...

7. 76079

76079 Member

Sorry Ralph there are still "enough" around on the mainline and preservation, this is not the first preserved Diesel group we have seen targeted this way, remember 37905 & 906 control cards to mention one case.

It really is sickening that there are people around and indeed possibly other preservationists who dont care who they stand on to futher there own project.

There is equally nothing stopping these people selling parts like these to HNRC or RVEL at derby who both play parts in looking after Network Rails fleet of 31's, how would they know what they were buying especially like Dan said they are new and dont yet have stamps on the Crowns.

Good Luck to the A1A group in finding replacements and my donation to the cost of replacements will be in the post monday.

If anyone else is interested in donating i would suggest a visit to the Preserved Diesels webforum and i believe contact information for the A1A group is on there

8. RalphW

Thanks for that Matt, not being into diesels I did not know how many would use that type of piston, I now realise that it is not quite as simple as I thought.

9. Aureol

Aureol Member

Volunteer on the MR-B
    The pistons stolen can be used in classes 20, 31, 37, 40 and 50, as they all have the 'V' shaped engine blocks.

10. Slash

Slash Member

Ballast monkey
    "Hello Mr Reputable business man. Would you like to buy these 4 brand new Pistons for an English Electric engine? That's right, totally unmarked. No, cheques aren't necessary, cash will be fine. Yes, found them lying in the street i did."

Martin Adalar likes this.
  11. 76079

76079 Member

Joke all you want slash

Various groups have seen this happen first hand

12. RalphW

There was a guy at Crewe some 20 years ago who was selling tank wagons for scrap on condition they were cut up on site. They could not be moved to another location.
    Problem was they belonged to a leasing company but owing to business turndown they had not been used for 12 months or more. He was I believe paid in cash for these, and it was only discovered, when the company I worked for wanted some replacements for some we had where the linings had failed. He also tried to implicate me, saying I had told him to sell them on our behalf. 8-[ Fortunately the BTP believed my version and not his.... O:)
    So yes it does happen.

13. 89001avocet

89001avocet New Member

Student - start Uni. on 22nd Sept.
    Gosh this really is bad; I just hope to goodness the immensly sad lowlives who did this somehow get caught-out; it's really sickening that this still happens!

14. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

I can remember making these pistons at GEC Accrington as an apprentice 35 years ago - they have a solid copper top if memember correctly... And loads of machining, turning. drilling and boring from a round copper ingot. I not suprised they cost that ammount !! hope you catch the B********

15. 6136

6136 Member

It may simply be that, high quality steel being of considerable value, they were simply stolen for scrap. My experience is that some will steal anything not bolted down unless given time to undo the bolts!