If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Sugar Loaf Mountaineer : 7/07/18 - now 23/09/18

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Bulleid Pacific, May 1, 2018.

1. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry, which station are you referring to ?

2. JWKB

JWKB Member

Llandovery

LMarsh1987 likes this.
  3. NathanP

NathanP Member

Nothing on RTT yet but confirmed times are now on the Pathfinder website, and it seems we are still going to Carmarthen. A very long day for those going from Birmingham, glad I decided to drive to Craven Arms instead and get on there.

4. malc

malc Part of the furniture

The 08.20 departure time from New Street is mid-morning compared to most Pathfinders Tours (see their two tours on Saturday - 04.50 from Shrewsbury and 05.45 from Bristol).

5. NathanP

NathanP Member

Apologies - Pathfinder must have been in the process of updating the website just as I was looking at it! A few minutes ago it still had Carmarthen as the destination but it has just been updated to clearly indicate Llandovery, Llandeilo and Bynea! I think I'll get off at Bynea and try to get to Llanelli somehow.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  6. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No. It doesn't go to Carmarthen, just to the end of the line at Bynea. So the impossible was not possible after all and a 10 hour 'provisional' day timing from Craven Arms to Craven Arms has expanded to 11.5 hours for a shorter journey. I bet they will have to be light on their feet at the other end as well.

But all credit to the planners for sticking with a really tight day. Hope that Plan B all goes to plan.

7. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Looks no longer than a CME or CCE from London to me. Seems about average for a lot of steam tours these days.

8. LMarsh1987

TBC
    Now that's sorted, we can now begin to worry about the motive power for south of Shrewsbury !

9. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

The 'impossible' was possible on the original day, Pathfinder states that engineering work has scuppered getting to Carmarthen. The original timings gave only 1.5 hours lay over, this is now over 4 hours at Llandeilo or 3.5 at Bynea. There was more than enough time to get to Carmarthen and back, but granted loco servicing would have been tight. This extended stay could be interesting on a potentially wet Sunday..

10. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Fully appreciate the issues and their efforts to make it happen but looking at Google street view, I wonder as you say what a train load of passengers does there, especially as there is no dining so I guess everyone will be looking for somewhere to eat. Even the McDonalds and Tesco looks over a mile away from the station.

11. acorb

There are plenty of eating places in Llandeilo which is an attractive town, the bigger issue is the weather forecast - will be needing waterproofs as station is a bit of a walk from town from memory!

12. jamesd

jamesd Member

1.5 hrs (more like an hour based on the railtour timings and National Rail timings to Carmarthen) in Carmarthen wouldn't have been enough time to do much, a quick walk into town, pint, then back on the train. At least if you get off at Llandovery or Llandeilo you get a bit of time there for food etc and there's a few decent pubs. As for Bynea, this must be the first railtour to feature it as a destination!!

13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Yes it has but what the engineering works has also done is avoid the embarrassment of trying to get from Craven Arms to Carmarthen and back, including servicing, in the ten hours as originally suggested. I don't share your faith in what was originally planned, I am afraid.

I have the log of the Cathedrals Explorer from 2011 in front of me. Two Black 5s were on the move between Craven Arms and Carmarthen for just under 4 hours. Add a water stop each way, forget any pathing stops - as it's Sunday and Arriva says that it has tweaked its trains - add turning and servicing and 10 becomes an optimistic number.

But as we agree, what is now planned is far more manageable and that is good for those who are travelling provided they are happy with the alternative destination.

14. LMarsh1987

TBC
    The pubs look rough in Bynea ! It's looking like a taxi to the Toby Carvery which is a few miles away !

15. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Ironical considering the original date was cancelled due to lineside fire risk.

16. JWKB

JWKB Member

Pfft get off in Llandeilo, walk up the hill (remember it down hill when legging it for train) go to one of the pubs in town. You have the White horse which is the brewery tap for Evan Evans (my employers) you've got some nice eateries like the Cawdor plus a chocolate shop for those with sweet tooth. Those fancy a slightly longer walk can go to Newton House or Dinefwr Castle or Castle woods.

Gareth and rule55 like this.
  17. acorb

We will have to agree to differ on this one I'm afraid, Carmarthen was feasible and I believe there were outline timings showing it as such until the engineering works issue was discovered. This affected the turning of the locomotive and not the train directly. I do agree with you that it would have been tight - one issue on the day and it could have unfolded.

What we do have though is steam both ways over the Heart of Wales, providing we can get a healthy black 5! For me Llandeilo looks a much more favourable destination to spend a wet Sunday afternoon, so long as someone still has a Sunday lunch available at 3pm!

18. acorb

Thanks for the recommendations!

19. NathanP

NathanP Member

Your times are slightly off I'm afraid. Time in Bynea is 2 hours 10 mins (1450 - 1700). Allow for 15 mins on arrival to watch the loco and ECS departing and take some photos, and 15 mins before the departure for same reasons, and you're talking just over 1.5 hours actual time in Bynea. Looking at Google Maps there appear to be several pubs along the main road between Bynea and Llanelli so I plan to walk that way and hope that one of them is serving food!

20. Gareth

Gareth New Member

If you want my advice, f your looking for a decent pub, go the the Lewis arms in Bynea. If you want to stretch your legs there's a path along the coast which has nice views over the Gower (Might not be much use if it's raining...).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    NathanP likes this.