If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Suggestions for Heritage railways to visit in and near Wales

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by SouthernDays, Jul 8, 2013.

1. SouthernDays

SouthernDays New Member

Hi, first post here. I will be in south Wales near Carmarthen on the weekend of 27th July and will have about a week after or maybe a week either side to travel around. I wondered if you could suggest any must see railways in wales and nearby. I was thinking of going perhaps to the Ffestiniog. I prefer standard gauge and steam but quite like the idea of narrow mountain railways. Not averse to traveling by train a bit for instance to the SVR. Thanks!

2. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    Hi SouthernDays

If you're in Carmarthen then pay a visit to the Gwili- www.gwili-railway.co.uk if you fancy a day where you don't have to go far!

regards

Matt

3. SouthernDays

SouthernDays New Member

Thanks Matt looks good!

4. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Nice part of the country though but tot too much around there as regards steam. Gwilli is small, but worth a visit if you're in the area. Otherwise, it's north to Vale of Rheidol at Aberystwyth (50 miles, 1.5 hrs car) recommended. Go further north than Aberystwyth there's a few more narrow gauge lines, including Ffestiniog. The largest "big" standard gauge line to Carmarthen is... ...Severn Valley at 108 miles, with Llangollen slightly behind at 118 miles. Neither exactly close.

5. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As well as the standard gauge Gwili Railway, don't forget the Teifi Valley Railway! http://www.teifivalleyrailway.org/
    It's the nearest narrow gauge line to Carmarthen.
    If you're travelling to/from Carmarthen by car along the M4 corridor, the Brecon Mountain Railway (narrow gauge), Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway and Dean Forest Railway can also all be reached fairly easily from that road. Not quite so easy by train, though the DFR Lydney Junction station is only a short walk from Lydney on the Newport - Gloucester line.

As for travelling to the SVR by train from Carmarthen, one option would be to travel to Shrewsbury on one of the generally hourly ATW services to Manchester, and then get to Bridgnorth by bus. Alternatively, change at Hereford for Worcester and again (if necessary) for Kidderminster. Whether or not you could do the return trip in a day is anyone's guess!

It's not steam, but a trip up the Central Wales line to Shrewsbury is a scenic delight.

Cheers,

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

W&LLR comes to mind.

P.H.

7. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you're going up the Coast then I'd advise; Vale of Rheidol, Talyllyn Ralway, Bala Lake Railway, Ffestiniog Railway, Welsh Highland Railway and Welsh Highland Heritage Railway Railway.

8. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

On this basis add Corris.

PH

9. quarterjack

quarterjack New Member

In the wrong job.
    Don't forget the Barry Tourist Railway too! www.barrytouristrailway.co.uk They've got a vintage car rally on on 28th July and an open day on 3rd August.

Clearly I'm going to plug the Llangollen Railway (home of the Betton Grange Society) and the Ffestiniog Railway (as a former volunteer). Just enjoy Wales while you are there!

10. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

May as well add Brecon, Llanberis Lake and Snowdon...then there's Aberystwyth Cliff railway and is Centre of Alternative Technology thing near Machynlleth still in use?

11. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

When you start looking at the list that has been built up there is certainly a lot of choice! Just don't overlook how much time it can take to travel from one end of Wales to another, particularly going up the coast - slow winding roads with a number of estuaries in the way to prevent easy access - but well worth the effort!

Steve B

12. SouthernDays

SouthernDays New Member

Thanks for the great suggestions, my itinerary so far is Gwili, then heart of wales line to Aberystwyth and Vale of Rheidol. Then Dovey Junction to Pwllheli and onto the Ffestiniog. Lastly Llangollen on way home!