If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Summer CME's

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Jul 11, 2015.

1. grahamjenks

grahamjenks New Member

Another one from Helwith Bridge this morning, easily caught it again by Ribblehead but the weather was getting worse so no more pictures.

[​IMG]Cumbrian Mountain Express - September 2016-3238.jpg by grahamjenks, on Flickr

2. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Fantastic. A "Jube" working hard uphill in wet conditions and without a diesel in sight. If I was on the Cheshireman, I would be extremely envious when I see images like this which proves that we don't need these boxes on the back. A black 5 is only a notch less powerful than the Jube and ten coaches over the North and West route is surely well within its capabilities single handed. Well done to everyone involved in the CME!!

3. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

By the way, tractive effort comparisons are interesting:
    BLACK 5 25455lb
    JUBILEE 26610lbs (ORIGINAL)
    JUBILEE 29570lbs (rebuilt with Double Chimney)

I am not sure, in fairness, if Leander falls into the original or rebuilt category.

4. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    What the hell has the rugby got to do with it?

5. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thank you for the kind words and it was good to see 5690 working without assistance up the grade .

6. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I believe the 29570 figure only applied to the two that were rebuilt with larger 250 psi boilers, approximately as subsequently used for the rebuilt Scots and Patriots. Anyway TE alone is at best a rough indication of haulage capability.

7. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    CME 12 September 2015 – 45690 Leander hauling 10+POB

As John Motson might have said, “it was a trip of two halves.” More accurately it was, following RTC’s decision to slash the steam haulage, a trip of two quarters. Mrs W and I had booked to join at Wigan NW but decided to cut our losses and join at Blackburn (much closer to home). 47245 (which it was announced was a very late substitute following a problem with the booked diesel and hence the lack of train heating) made an unscheduled stop at Clitheroe which was followed by some slow running resulting in us arriving in Hellifield loop 6L.

It was dull and overcast when Peter Kirk got us away a little over 8L. We were in the tenth coach; it was not a day for open toplights. We were up to 42 at Long Preston and 61 at Settle Jn (now only 5L). It began to rain as we passed through Settle station at 48 and with the deficit reduced to 4½. However, The gradient began to bite; Langcliffe 43, Stainforth 35 and Helwith Bridge 25 (7L). We rallied on the level to 32/3 but by Horton in R, in heavier rain, we dropped back to 27 and now 8½L. Leander was struggling and beyond Selside we were reduced to 17 (where was the promised class 8P when you needed it?), this was worked up to 23 at Ribblehead (14½L). We crossed the viaduct and on past Blea Moor box at 20, just over 14L with the end of the climb beckoning.

There was the customary slowing through Dent station (17L) but we were now on a charge, Garsdale 59 (16½L), Moorcock Tunnel 61, Shotlock Hill 58 and Ais Gill 59 (16L). We continued downhill with brakes being regularly applied to keep us legal. Once “over the top” the weather turned around - the rain was now streaking against the windows on the far side of the coach. We passed through Kirkby Stephen at 62 now 14L, Crosby Garrett 61, Ormside 58 then we began to slow for Appleby. As we stopped for water, despite Peter Kirk’s best efforts we remained 14½L. Garsdale to Ormside was accomplished at an average speed of 61mph.

We left Appleby 12½L and ran at or just below line speed for most of the rest of the journey (except for the tsr near Kirkby Thore). We stopped in Carlisle just under 10L, a loss of only 1½ minutes on schedule.

Time for a quick look at the loco then off for lunch with Woodrow Wilson and finally shopping. The weather improved and it was dry with patchy sunshine as Gordon Hodgson reversed the empty stock into platform 1. I now had a problem; I was seated back to the direction of travel and on the “wrong” side of the train. Luckily, I found an empty compartment at the very front of the first coach, I bid temporary farewell to Mrs W who chose to remain in her allocated seat, fully opened the toplight and prepared for action.

At the scheduled departure time Leander began to “blow-off”, 2L we set off. Speed was worked up to 32 at the top of the 1/131, this increased to 43 as we neared the top of the 1/228 beyond Southwaite, speed fell away slightly to 39/40 as the gradient steepened to 1/172 but we were getting the full Jubilee roar. We eased into Plumpton loop 6½L, less than 2 minutes later the Pendolino sped past and just over a minute after that we were off (1½L). Gordon & Leander meant business and by the time we passed through Penrith station we were doing 55 (1½L) and whistling half the length of the platform. At the bottom of the dip beyond we “maxed” at 61.2. Clifton & Lowther 47 (2L), by Thrimby Grange we were down to 36½ and beyond this we dropped to a minimum of 35 on the final part of the 1/125, this increased to 37½ at the top of the 1/142 and further to 43½ past Shap. MP37½ was passed at 47 (just under 6L – a worthy effort).

Gordon was not going to be late home! We swept down the other side: Tebay 75, Lowgill 70, Grayrigg 67 and we hurtled through Oxenholme at 73½ with whistle full on, Milnthorpe 76 and now only 1L. When we finally stopped in Carnforth loop we were just over 1L representing an overall gain on schedule of just under a minute.

Leander detached and reversed its support coach past the train with customary smiling and waving from all the crew. 47245 was re-attached and we were away 6E and 5E into Preston which allowed us to make an earlier connection back into Blackburn. A quick phone call to order a pizza subsequently collected and back home before 19.30.

Not the trip promised by RTC but nonetheless an enjoyable day out; the weather improved and so did the locomotive performance. My thanks to all involved in organising and running the trip. Not many photos and videos posted, but the ones that are, are the usual very high standard – special thanks to those of you who braved the morning weather.

Here endeth the Summer CMEs – roll on Winter!

mike1522, RalphW, Linesider and 2 others like this.
  8. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Sorry, this is a bit of a late upload of my shot of last Saturday's train heading south at Wellheads, between Oxenholme & Milnthorpe. I accept there is little if anything that can be attributed to this shot by way of photographic merit. I knew there was a good chance the loco' would be drifting at this point, hence the total lack of clag, but on arrival I was disappointed to see the mass of newly installed pallisade fencing at what is a very rural location, although I arrived too late to try to seek out another spot. The metal fencing seems to be spreading faster than japanese knot weed here and the need for it is debatable to say the least.
    DSCF0356 [1600x1200].JPG