If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn 2010 Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Is it too late to get some 'Collett' nameplates made? :lol:

2. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Not so sure about that, may not be classed as a heritage railway, but didn't it visit Eastleigh open day last year? Had to have some work done on the bogie I believe.

3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Or "Jubilee" ones.

4. Andyjb6

Andyjb6 New Member

Leander is booked to take that one out.

I'll be on that one, assuming can get a parking space!

5. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Thanks Andy

6. MichaelWilliamTopham

MichaelWilliamTopham New Member

There's one shot I'd like to get over the weekend. Does anyone know if Truro is due on the Great Western set at any time during the weekend and what time it departs, KR or BN?

Any help would be much appreciated. MT

7. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

And the bit about 5542 is 'nearly' right

John

8. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

On Sat Truro stays with the GW set on all line trains mostly, facing North. As an example, there's the 1630 off Kidderminster. I hope I haven't given too much away!

9. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Having just returned from a very cold Kidderminster I can report that the first day of this Gala appeared to be running smoothly and to time. Plenty of people about, with well-filled trains.
    A timely reminder that the Kidderminster SVR car park was full by 0930, so if you expect to park there on Saturday or Sunday you will need to be much earlier.
    The guest engines were turned out a treat, and as far as possible paired with the appropriate coaching stock. In particular City of Truro had a superb rake of vintage GW stock, Leander was on the LMS rake, and Manston, complete with Southern-style Atlantic Coast Express headboard, on the carmine & cream BR stock. Bradley Manor and Erlestoke Manor were double-heading on the BR maroons. All looked quite superb.
    At Kidderminster a lunchtime interlude was an opportunity for the GW goods train to do its stuff, behind a very lively small prairie. Very nostalgic to hear the sounds of a genuine loose-coupled freight train!

Should be a successful weekend, with the prospect of some warming sunshine, unlike today!

10. 46118

Just to add for those who want to know, and subject of course to them not being turned during the weekend, Truro was facing north, as was Manston, Leander and 3205 were facing south.

11. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Spent today lineside. Great to see 'Leander' back on SVR metals, esp on the LMS set. Weather today was hopeless for photography - better luck tomorrow and Sunday! Some photos for the record: 24091002.jpg 24091003.jpg 24091001.jpg

12. nickt

nickt Member

13. 46118

Nick: As a bystander at Kidderminster yesterday, I have to say "Manston" looked superb, and although the weather was against the photographers yesterday, it looks very much more promising today, and I suspect there will be many excellent images of 34070 emerge. A very well turned out engine, and was paired with BR carmine and cream stock, the SVR dont have any green Mk1's. Yesterday was running with the "ACE" headboard.

A tribute to all the hard work that must have gone it that locomotive.

( And as an afterthought, if it is going to the NYMR for their Gala, there will be some fantastic "autumn tints" shots over the moors, reminicient of the Southern route to Plymouth no doubt!)

14. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

It's bloody fantastic weather today. Expected to be sunny spells tomorrow. I hope people are getting some great shots. For once they appear to have got the forecast right...

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  16. Andyjb6

Andyjb6 New Member

They don't have any operational green mark 1's - there are a small number, on partially severed track, at Bridgnorth.

17. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Whilst talking to the driver of Manston on Saturday evening, he told me that he was very impressed with Manston and it was a credit to the Swanage railway.

Well done SLL. <BJ>

18. 46118

Andyjb6: Those are volunteer accommodation coaches at Bridgnorth, and I think the green livery is more to do with making them less noticeable in their immediate surroundings rather than any pretention to being "Southern".

They were missing an LNER loco to go with their LNER teaks, but hey you cant have everything can you!

The weekend weather should have made this Gala a success.

19. RASDV

RASDV Member

Well. This is just for you information: I have produced a video of the gala along with some pictures. By going to: http://totally-transport.co.uk/SVRautumngala2010.aspx you can read the report and follow the links.
    I hope that you understand this is not an advertisment and is purely for your enjoyment.

20. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Eddie is the better one of the two.....But to be fair she has had more time to "bed in"....