If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn 2010 Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by The_Mighty_Kings, Aug 8, 2010.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Some of my pics from Friday afternoon through the night until Saturday afternoon: http://david1984.fotopic.net/c1900787_1.html

Lovely weather on the Saturday and packed trains during the day so looks like the passenger figures will be decent, timeable was running suprisingly smoothly until the point i left, maybe the years of experience of doing an event like this are really showing now.

If i may, can i make a couple of suggestions regarding the 2011 event ?:

Considering night time running and seeing steam in the dark is meant to be a major draw of this gala, it seemed at this years event that not much was done to take advantage of this unique selling point, on the Friday night for example, a lot of the trains from nightfall to well after 10pm were tender/bunker first, of course backwards workings are inevitable at some point, but may i suggest some rostering that see's everything facing 'right way' between 7 & 10pm would be a good idea ?, also does a set have to be stabled in Plat 3 at Bewdley overnight ?, it blocks any view of the loco's being serviced in the dark from the relatively safe and out the way position of the platform, is it not possible to shunt that set into Kiddy Carriage Shed for a few hours ?, also is it normal practice to turn off the yard lights at Bridgnorth in the night ?, i've never seen it before and coulden't phot much steam on shed at a result but then again have never attempted it so early/late before so unsure if it's normal practice or something new.

Don't get me wrong im not having a whinge, just feel if possible the above would help make an already good gala even better.

Ps, after spending a few hours in that experimental Mk1 with the reclining seats, whoever decided the standard Mk1 we have now was better deserves a slap!.

2. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Spent a really great day on the SVR yesterday, every train was very full, all locos put on a spectacular performance and the weather did us proud! AMAZING gala!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of my photos can be found here; http://teenagesteamphotography.fotopic.net/

Lewis

3. RASDV

RASDV Member

Well what an amazing gala! I visited yesterday (Saturday 25th September) I had a super time. The fact I had purchaced a working timetable certainly helped me to get photos of all the engines which were running yesterday. I must congratulate the Severn Valley on running almost all of the train to timetable. I particularly enjoyed seeing No:3205, it is a wonderful little engine.

If you wish you can watch my videos, there are two, one is some of the best bits of Saturday condensed into 90 seconds. Or if you prefer you could watch the full length 10 minute version which includes all of the locomotive which ran at the gala.
    Of course, I also took loads of photos, a few of my favorite ones can be found here. I visited the gala with a friend and therefore some of the photos also appear in the video. (Before you ask, no I can't multitask!)
    If you were unable to attend you might like to read my report on the gala. Found here.
    I do hope that everyone enjoys these small momentos of this excelent event.
    WELL DONE SVR

4. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Another excellent Gala from the SVR as others have mentioned. I agree with everyone too about 'Manston', she looks beautiful. Part One of my video record now uploaded featuring scenes from the rather overcast and cold Friday;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO0QfzeNu9Q

5. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Unable to play the video as it is set to Private

Lewis

6. 30782

30782 New Member

Website Designer
  7. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

8. nickt

nickt Member

Nice shots Lewis. I hope you (and others) will enter some of Manston to the SLL competition:

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/News/news.html

They'll all be added to the SLL gallery: http://southernlocomotivesltdphotogallery.fotopic.net/c1900895.html so far there's only a few!

9. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Visited yesterday, fantastic weather and packed trains. Rode behind both Leander and Manston, the locos were exceptionally turned out, especially 5690 on the LMS set -simply wonderful. Have to take people's word on 34070 being noisey, neither she or 5690 were opened up when I travelled behind them, very much a whisper, though I didn't get them on the run up to the tunnel or Eardington northbound unfortunately. I did however grab 5764 up Eardington & the driver must've had a cool one waiting for him in the Railwayman's arms! May we always have panniers, the stars of GWR 175 for me!

10. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Had one good-ish (so 'excellent' by bulleid standards :lol) run with 34070 (while I was sat at the back) then a crew change was followed by the whisper you describe! Highlight of the gala for me was, rather surprisingly, 46443 on the overnights! Some fine performances :). Good gala and certainly seemed busy, only small criticism being that it's really becoming apparent that 4 coach trains just aren't enough for the overnights! Could we PLEASE have rakes of 5 or 6 next year? :lol:

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Well Manston is off the the NYMR for next weekend's gala, if you want noise you should get it from Grosmont to Goathland!

12. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Or travel behind the Q6 instead :lol:

13. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Just got back home from the gala. I've had an absolutely fantastic time there and everyone involved with running the event deserves massive praise for putting everything together. Yesterday's weather was brilliant and I managed to get the shots I'd hoped for - especially 5690 at Oldbury Cutting. The gallery for that 09.08 departure from Bridgnorth was rather 'cosy' - I counted 30 photters there for it!

The weather today never really happened, although being at Arley between 7.30am - 9am this morning was fascinating. Bundles of atmosphere with lots of action and the morning light. I spent the day on the trains and had some good trips - the highlight has to be Manston climbing Eardington on the 17.15 off Kiddi'. What a sound! The southbound train was entertaining too, with 3205 and 7802 double-heading (inc. over Vic' Bridge), and 34070 tagged on the back to do the necessary in the right places.

All in all a memorable weekend. My thanks to those involved on the SVR. The timetable in particular was a work of art!

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

15. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Photographic Printer @ Stourport Photo Centre
    Amazing gala in my opinion! had great fun friday night at Bewdley doing disposals etc :D :D unfortunatly didnt get any pictures saturday as i was asleep for most of it :( good day at kidderminster yesterday lots of people about over all of the gala which was a nice sight especially when 3717, 34070 and 5690 were at kiddy.

16. Clarke_T

Clarke_T New Member

Highlight for me would have to be arriving at Highley whilst firing 3717 on Saturday evening on a light 3 coach local train, shunting to the yard to allow 4566 to arrive on its fantastic goods train rake, and then to see 34070 arrive and depart on its heavily laden and well patronised 8 coach train... Magic!

17. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

A superb gala held by the SVR. Was meant to only attedn the Friday & Saturday, but was persuaded by lil Bear to stay on till Sunday. Manston was the star performer for me, going up Highley & Eardington banks were amazing, especially if you had your head out the window.

Had some superb Pannier thrash with 5764 with 8 coaches I think on Saturday morning. As well as all the other trips that myself & lil Bear did.

Huge thanks goes out to all SVR staff & volunteers for making the Autumn Gala a wonderful event.

18. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I visited the SVR for all three days of the Autumn Steam Gala and I have uploaded the film to YouTube. The film last for 15 minutes and can be viewed in HD.

I started at Bewdley on Friday with the arrival of the ‘Large Prairie’ and the teak set. Also in the station yard were ‘Manston’, ‘City of Truro’ and ‘Bradley Manor‘. The station yard was a bit crowded with fellow enthusiasts so I walked up Northwood Lane and caught ‘Manston’ and the ‘Pannier Tank’ at Bridge 12 on northbound services. A further walk up Northwood Lane and the ‘Collett Goods’, the ‘Large Prairie’ and the ‘Pannier’ on a local with the GWR three coach set were filmed. After the trudge back to Bewdley I drove to Bridgenorth which was the usual hive of activity with the ‘Collett Goods’ and the ‘Large Prairie’ being serviced. Both Ivatt Moguls were in steam acting as mainline pilots. I also caught ‘Bradley Manor’ departing on the 14.44, but filming stopped soon afterwards because the light was so dreadful there was just no point in carrying on!

Saturday was a much better day and ‘Leander’ was filmed climbing Bewdley bank from the footpath above the tunnel. A number of other trains were caught too but ‘City of Truro’ trundled downhill with the 11.53 from Kidderminster and after its passing I drove to Erdington to catch the train there. Also filmed at Erdington were ‘Leander’ and 3205 southbound and the ‘Large Prairie’ and ‘Manston’ northbound. After this a drive to Highley and Arley and I caught the ‘Large Prairie’ doing a positively volcanic departure and ‘City of Truro’ crossing the ‘Victoria Bridge’.

Sunday wasn’t such a good day but I took a walk up the footpath from Highley to Hampton Loade and got sequences of the 4566 on the up goods and ‘Bradley Manor’ on the 11.21 departure from Bridgenorth. After a walk back to Highley and past the ‘Ship Inn’ which was regrettably so full it wasn’t possible to get to the bar I caught 5542 doing a very noisy approach to the station and 5466 departing on the goods which brings the film to an end.

You can find the film at the link below and I hope everyone enjoys it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4pk_WwwEoc

Regards

19. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    At the risk of being picky, you seem to have forgotten City of Truro...

Dave

20. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member