If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Autumn Gala 17-20th September

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Kje7812, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

The Breakfast train was never supposed to be running yesterday, they updated the event information on the website earlier in the week to reflect the correct times which was Saturday/Sunday only so unfortunate to hear you got caught out by this.

Graft on likes this.
  2. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Rode yesterday but the timetable is so disappointing, theres so much slack in it but there is a frustrating lack of connection at KD where workings pass outside the station, surely this could have been better managed.

Meanwhile the Diesel Gala timetable shows just how it can be done with short/reasonable connections at both ends of the line, hats off to that.

simon likes this.
  3. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    20150919_132541.jpg
    This is what infuriates me. Right in front off the viewing gallery at the Engine House,sixty or so photographers have their shot ruined by this prat! :mad:

4. Platform 3

Platform 3 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Speaking as someone considering whether its worth going tomorrow, I note from the working timetable that one coaching set is being left in the sidings tomorrow, which is a bit of a surprise. However, what carriages are out of use today?

5. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The teak set is only used for overnight services on Friday and Saturday before being reformed to a full set for Sunday. Tomorrow the GW2 set is split due to the Severn Valley limited running as a set of 9 using 4 of GW2.

6. billbedford

billbedford Member Friend

retired
    didn't anyone challenge him?

377 traveller likes this.
  7. 377 traveller

377 traveller New Member

I question how anyone can complain, great engines performing as well as they can on a preserved line, wonderfully restored stock, and good beer on train and at station.
    And up until now, we're currently stopped outside Hampton Loade on time.
    I was disappointed with the timetable but I've enjoyed myself playing on the trains, how many other railways offer trains all night or engines of the size in this gala

Matt37401, MikeParkin65 and pete12000 like this.
  8. 377 traveller

377 traveller New Member

Photo shop the prat out but in reality how bad a crime is it

9. BanburyKev

BanburyKev New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Enjoyed the day today, although as had been previously mentioned a lot of slack at station stops mating a return trip almost 3 1/2 hours. Enjoyed a couple of short trips behind Royal Scot, didn't managed to ride behind Britannia. Best for me today though was the deadly duo of 46521 & 4566 which put on a sparkling run.

377 traveller likes this.
  10. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    To be fair he's well below track level to really get it anyone's shot & a bit of understanding on the use of zoom and he becomes irrelevant.

11. LMarsh1987

TBC
    Not even worth a confrontation ! End of the day, he pays to go lineside

12. LMarsh1987

TBC
    34027 departs Bewdley
    34027 Taw Valley Bewdley.PNG

13. Ruston906

Ruston906 Member

I had a great time the event was a credit to those who organised it good visiting locos I did have a slight worry at bridgenorth with the royal scott but the brake issue was sorted.
    I do thing there is an issue of over crowding that is caused at 9 am as everyone arrives at Kidderminster and maybe a longer local train at that time would be good to help that.
    I imagine the passenger numbers are going to be good for the event as well.

14. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    SVR politely asks people in HiVis jackets not to stand in areas where the general public are likely to take photos. I think in front of the viewing gallery should fit that catagory.

15. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    [ QUOTE="BanburyKev, post: 1268870, member: 7698"]Enjoyed the day today, although as had been previously mentioned a lot of slack at station stops mating a return trip almost 3 1/2 hours. Enjoyed a couple of short trips behind Royal Scot, didn't managed to ride behind Britannia. Best for me today though was the deadly duo of 46521 & 4566 which put on a sparkling run.[/QUOTE]

One of the said duo this morning in great light with still some mist about--plus a couple of others. Just a slight quibble about 46100. Why, when getting it looking wonderful as it is, can't the correct type face be used on the cab side numbers? The 6 is very odd. DSC09833.JPG
    DSC09838.JPG
    DSC09850.JPG

16. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    I've had 2 great days, I know I'm always going to be biased because the SVR is my railway but what a top couple of days. Thanks to all those who go out their way to organise events like these its a thankless task because you cant please everyone (apparantly). You should see the smile on my face! Cheers Mr H! Nice one!

17. Wyreman

Wyreman New Member

Quick thoughts after two days, one solo and one with a first-timer (to the SVR) friend:

* Very enjoyable on the whole, and well done to everyone who worked so hard to help make it so.
    * 46100 was beautiful, of course, though 70000 still has a better whistle sound!
    * No train was more than 10 minutes late the whole way through, and most dead on time...
    * ...apart (inevitably!) from my last, the autotrain from Kiddy on Sat night. Low pressure when taking water, I heard.
    * Probably the sunshine helped, but everyone seemed in a particularly good mood, even on wedged trains.
    * Almost all the official announcements were clear and (just as important) clearly audible. Huge plus!

* Very, very crowded -- I've never had to stand so often. The fine weather undoubtedly contributed.
    * Still unconvinced about the timetable, since I feel it also contributed to making the crowding worse. For example...
    * ...Sat morn at Kiddy: 46100 arr 08.56, next two deps 70000 at 09.48 and 46100 at 10.42. Results inevitable.
    * Surprised how many dogs travelled on packed trains. To their (and owners') credit, I saw none misbehaving.
    * The Evening Rover didn't seem terribly good value, especially given the two big guests' runs were skewed early.
    * 70000 on the goods on Fri was impressive, but that meant only one return trip for passengers.

There are probably more, but I'm too tired to think of them right now and I've waffled for long enough already! Suffice it to say that if the SVR can arrange for similar weather in late March (and ideally some local services), I fully intend to visit for that gala too. I'll probably be there even if not!

18. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Hi Wyreman I think you make some good points, but to make a point about overcrowding 1) if you were down there today then what would you expect? Its a Saturday! 2) There's 4 big green engines working! One that quite a few people want to ride behind, going back to point one any train 46100 or 70000 work is not going to be quite is it? 3) last year the timetable was rather overcomplicated, lots of late running happend, comes to somthing when my mum shows up aftee 4 o'clock and even she said how nice it was to get home in time for MOTD! Its a gala I'd be worried if I found it easy to get a seat! As I say I've had a fantastic couple of days really enjoyable and I've made a couple of new friends, be really nice to do somthing with the diesels at some point. Oh wait...

Wyreman and MikeParkin65 like this.
  19. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

[QUOTE="Just a slight quibble about 46100. Why, when getting it looking wonderful as it is, can't the correct type face be used on the cab side numbers? The 6 is very odd. [/QUOTE]

Quite agree. The 4 is not right either . She is in beautiful exhibition condition and they have done the best they can with the air pump, so why spoil a beautiful ship for a haporth of tar? The Gill Sans typeface is easily available on the net and most locos reproduce it correctly.

Peter on a grey Manchester morning
    http://pjhtransportpix.zenfolio.com

20. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just a comment about the overcrowding on the morning trains out of Kidderminster; Full-line trains were roughly one an hour, with autotrain departures every two hours, but not starting until lunch time, 12-10.
    Perhaps the answer would have been to make an earlier start with the auto, and with two coaches not one ( at least that was the case on Friday, when passengers were being turned away from the one coach auto, filled to capacity), or better still use the paths to Bewdley for a "local" train of say four or five coaches, to take some of the strain off the full line trains, which were generally eight coaches anyway.
    Problem however is that people want to travel behind a specific guest loco all the way to Bridgnorth, so does having a local running to Bewdley actually help? Personally I think it would help in some way.
    The SVR is better equipped with large engines at present, but 4566, 1501, and hopefully next year 813 and 7714 could handle KDR-Bewdley locals.

The problem as ever at the northern end of the line, in terms of a more frequent full-line service on Gala days, is simply line capacity.